Don't Hold Back

Starship's Summer Trainee

"Minji!" Kwangmin screamed, defeated and still on the ground.

"Tsk tsk." Mr. Kim kneeled down next to Kwangmin. "Wasn't your reason for not being able to break up with her because she needs you? She? Needs you? She just said that she needs no one."

Kwangmin started shaking in anger. From fear. From emptiness.

"Are you sure she needs you? Or is it the other way around? You know, in a relationship, the person who loves the most ultimately loses."

Kwangmin gritted his teeth. "So? I need her. It's true. I need her becasue the music industry is filled with horrible money obsessed s like YOU!"

"Now, now," Mr. Kim snickered. "Don't be getting all moody because your girlfriend dumped you."

Kwangmin swung at Mr. Kim but Mr. Kim caught his fist. "How dare you! I created you! You really are a worthless piece of ! If only you didnt' get yourself involed with a boring untalented girl like Lee Minji, we woundn't be in this mess, now would we?"

"Don't say that." Kwangmin hissed.

"Don't say what?" KWangmin was shoved to the side. "You worthless piece of ."

"Don't say that about him!" JYP's voice echoed through the parking garage. He walked over to where Kwangmin and Mr. Kim were still on the ground. "Kimmie, not this again. How many times do I have to tell you to stop attacking your stars?" He helped Kwangmin up. "Aw, man. Your cheek is really messed up. Damn! And aren't you in the middle of promotions?" Kwangmin nodded. "Don't worru, I have just the make up to cover it up." JYP smiled.

"Don't take care of him!" Mr. Kim protested. "He's a good for nothing whiner!"

JYP sighed and turned to Mr. Kim. "But he was once my trainee, too. I know he's a good boy. He wouldn't do anything bad to anyone. Now, why are you acting crazy, Kimmie? Ran out of coffee again?"

"No!" Mr. Kim blushed. "Well, yes. But that's not the point." He pointed at Kwangmin. "He disobeyed my orders, I received a complaint about him slacking off, he came home past cufew and he disobeyed my orders!" He repeated.

JYP turned to Kwangmin. "Sweety, what order did you disobey?"

"I refused to break up with Minji." He said confidently.

JYP gave him a high five. "Good job. Mr. Kim, what's so bad about a teenage boy standing up for his girlfriend?" JYP ruffled Kwangmin's hair.

"More like 'what's Minji's big secret?'" Mr. Kim smiled. "There's comething your little Princess kept from you."

"Minji? She's harmless." KYP raised an eyebrow. "What dirt could you possibly have on her?"

"She was my summer trainee."

"So?"

Mr. Kim was surprised by the blatant response.

"She was accused of being a fake so she was kicked out of Starship. Which is why she went crawling to you. Her parents think she's on an internship at a hospotal. She's a liar."

"But she has her reasons!" Kwangmin protested. "It's the only way she can live her dream. Ever since she joined JYPE, she's been nothing but happy."

JYP patted Kwangmin's shoulders. "Thanks for looking out for her. You're a great guy." Kwangmin shrugged. "But I don't see what's wrong with everything you told me, Mr. Kim. So what if Minji was kicked out of Starship because she was a fake?"

"She wasn't a fake!" Kwangmin interrupted. "Kwon Sara was the fake that made Minji look like a fake!"

"Oh!" The lightbulb lit up in JYP's head. "So THAT'S why! Kwon Sara used her aunty to get in? With Minji's dance practice tape, right? So that's how Minji knows SISTAR. And that's why she had all of her luggage with her when she auditioned. It's ok that she lied. Since it was for a good reason, I forgive her."

"But you're forgetting an important little detail." Mr. Kim broke the joy. "The music industry's CEO contract."

"What about it?" JYP thought. "Oh, ." He rubbed his neck in frustration. "Are you saying that Minji-" JYP shook her head. "No. She's under my label and only mines. Her contract under Starship ended as soon as she walked out of this building with her suitcase."

Mr. Kim shook his head and smiled.

"Son of a." JYP let out a sigh. "There's got to be a way out of this."

"Should we take this to court?" Mr. Kim offered.

JYP looked at Kwangmin. "No. For the sake of Minji and Kwangmin, we should'nt expose this issue to the public. If this secret gets out, Minji might have to leave the industry for good."

Kwangmin swore loudly. Mr. Kim's smiled grew enormously huge.

"Oh, no, don't tell me..."

Mr. Kim's guard appeared at the stairwell. "Sir, I made all of the copies of Lee Minji's Starship Trainee profile and faxed it to all of the news industries in South Korea and even Japan."

"You're a-" JYP swore. "When are you going to learn, Mr. Kim? This isn't the path to success!"

"You're right." Mr. Kim admitted. "This isn't the direct path to success. But this is the quickest. This is the path to money. Which leads to the path to success. Imagine in a year: Minji will hit number one just for tweeting one letter. Even if she messes up and ruins her image, I'll still get money from the news reporters for giving them 'exclusive information' about that girl."

"She's under my label now!" JYP said firmly. Kwangmin smiled to himself because he thought JYP would win this arguement.

"You can't escape the CEO contract~" Mr. Kim teased. "Unless you want to lose your job. And your industry."

JYP was speechless and Kwangmin's smiled disappeared.

"So what time do you want to drop my Minji back at Starship tomorrow? I'm free from 10am to 1pm."

 

~ July 25 ~ 12pm

"I'm sorry, Minij." JYP hugged Minji at the front steps of the Starship building. "I'm binded to my CEO contract."

"I understand," she forced a smile as she readjusted the strap of her bag full of her old clothes. "I understand what it's like to be bound to a contract."

"Are you sure you don't want to keep some of the outfits I got you? They're better than your plain shirts and shorts."

"I think it's best not to take it." She smiled sadly.

"Ok. But at least take this." JYP handed her another bag in addition to her original one backpack, one suitcase for clothes and one suitcase for textbooks.

"What's this?" She tried to open the bag.

"No," JYP stopped her. "Open it up three days from now."

She smiled at the bag. "In three days, I'm returning to America. My summer trainee contact ends in two days." She frowned. "But I' pretty sure Mr. Kim is going to force me into another contract."

JYP hugged her. "I'm going to miss you, Minji-ah! You're such a great girl! So talented, kind, pretty and smart! You deserve the best..."

She hugged him back - all out of tears from last night's cry. "Thank you. For everything. Really."

He hugged her tighter. "You're welcome at JYPE anytime you want to just stop by and say hi. Come as often as you can, ok?"

She nodded and reluctantly broke the hug. "Thank you."

"I love you, Minji-ah." JYP was crying.

You took a deep breath to keep yourself from crying tears she thought was already all cried out. "I love you, too." She took her four bags and entered the building.

The hallway was empty. Minji remembered the way to her dorm. When she turned the corner, Kwangmin was leaning on the wall, waiting for her. He smiled weakly with a big bandaid covering his bruised cheek. His eyes were also red and puffy from crying all night. Their eyes matched with equal sadness. What a cute, matchy couple.

He grabbed her bags and helped her to her room, just like the first day she walked into the Starship buidling. Just like the old times.

Kwangmin didn't say anything. Neither did Minji. What was there to say? I'm sorry? Welcome to Starship?

He kicked her old dorm open to reveal the newly painted room. The paint was still wet. The rush of the horrble memories made her chest hurt. He put her luggage next to her bed and closed the door to shut the rest of the world out.

"I repainted it for you." Kwangmin's voice cracked.

"Thank you." Minji lay down on the bed. "It's lovely."

Kwangmin remained standing, frozen with guilt.

Minji opened her arms. "Come here."

He climed onto the bed with her and rested his cheek on her head. "I hope you like it."

She smiled and a tear fell onto a shirt at the same time his tear fell onto the pillow. "I love it. Thank you."

 

~ July 26 ~

"So is it true that JYP kicked you out?" "Why didn't you say you were Starship's Summer Trainee?" "What do you plan on doing now?" "What else are you hiding?" That's what Minji's morning was like. Camera flashes and an avalanche of questions from nosy reporters.

"Ok, ok, enough," Mr. Kim touched Minji's shoulder. She automatically slapped it away. The flashes and questions increased. Ignoring what just happened, Mr. Kim continued, "the Starship family has a combined interview with Sports Korea right now so you'll have to wait until after to hold you interviews."

Kwangmin pulled Minji out of the crowd and held hr hand. He squeezed it to give her strength, but she didn't have enough strength to squeeze back.

Mr. Kim walked between Minji and Kwangmin forcefully which broke their hand-holding. They both rubbed their sore wrists. They look at each other and sighed. All the while, the entire Starship family sat in their assigned seats infront of the Sports Korea interview camera.

The interviewer fixed everyone's angles before she turned to Mr. Kim and escorted him out of his own interview room. "I'm sorry but you're not allowed to monitor this interview."

"But I'm the CEO!" He protested. "Why can't I monitor their answers?!"

"Because it was in the contract. "The interviewer closed the door in Mr. Kim's face.

Kwangmin and Minji made eye contact from across the room and smiled at the karma.

SISTAR's Bora nudged Minji. "Looks like we can talk crap about him in this interview."

Minji smiled and nodded.

"You feeling better? Kwangmin told me about everything that happened."

"He told you everything?" Minji looked at Kwangmin. He stared blankly at the wall, obviously stressed and upset.

"If by eveyrthing you mean the whole drama that went down last night, Mr. Kim being a psycho and the reason you're back. Then yes, he told me everything."

"Really?"

"Actually, he told all of us."

"He did." Hyunseong and Dasom interrupted.

"And we're here for you," Dason placed her hand on Minji's.

"Thank you," Minji smiled. "But I can't dragy ou all in. You've got your own careers to worry about."

Bora nodded. "Sorry, but that's true. We all decided to not get too involved. We're going to pretend like we don't know. But that doesn't mean that we're here for you. Because we're always on your side not matter what, ok?"

Minji gave Bora a reassuring smile. "I understand."

"And that's why Mr. Kim isn't allowed to monitor this interview. The interviewer is Jeongmin's aunty and she's going to compile this interview into a video she can use to blackmail Mr. Kim with later on."

"So it's not a real interview?"

"It is. Jeongmin's aunty is a lawyer in the music industry. She'll be interviewing the gossip and bad talk portion for her own video. Then, another interviewer who knows nothing about the current problems - a rookie interviewer will come in and do a live Sports Korea interview. Don't talk crap during the live interview."

Minji nodded.

"You guys ready to bust out all of the horrible things Mr. Kim did to you?" Jeongmin's aunty asked.

"Yes!" Everyone cheered.

"Great. Remember, don't hold back."

"I won't." Minji smiled.