You said it was special.

Between Friends

Hoseok:

“Ah, .” Hoseok murmurs, looking out the window while slurping up the last of his breakfast. His bowl clanks loudly as he throws it down on the counter and he rushes to the front door.

Wildly flinging it open, his voice cuts out as he tries to say something, conflicted upon seeing Yoongi.

“Hi…” The older boy says awkwardly, scratching his neck as he walks up to him.

“Yoongi, what are you doing here?” Hoseok asks breathlessly.

“You never called.” He answers, “You said we would speak soon, but you never called and you didn’t answer when I did either.”

“I was going to…” He says distractedly, noticing the dark circles under Yoongi’s eyes, that he seems more pale than usual and that he’s too lightly dressed for the weather, “How did you get here?”

He shrugs, “It doesn’t matter.”

“It’s barely nine in the morning and you look like Yoongi, don’t tell me it doesn’t matter!” Hoseok exclaims, “How did you get here?”

“A couple of trains and a bus or two, it’s not important.”

He gasps and takes his jacket off, wrapping Yoongi in it and zipping it up, “You probably didn’t even eat.” He looks into his eyes, “Probably didn’t even sleep either.” He turns around, signalling Yoongi to follow him, “I’ll cook you something up.”

“What about your parents?” Yoongi asks, timidly stepping into the house.

“They’re at work.”

While Hoseok cooks, Yoongi tries to assist but it’s all a bit awkward, neither of them quite knowing what to say.

Sitting down, he watches Yoongi gobble up the food and rubs at his face, “Yoongi… Today, really isn’t a great day for this.”

“Would there ever be a great day for it?” Yoongi asks delicately, placing his chopsticks next to his bowl, “I know you’ve got a lot going on now but I-”

“I have to take Suran to the doctor.” Hoseok cuts in.

“Oh…” He wrings his hands, squeezing them through the gap between his thighs.

He sighs, unsure, how best to put it, “And there’s stuff I have to discuss with her…” He rubs his temples, “…stuff I really don’t even want to think about.”

Yoongi closes his eyes, nodding, “I get it…” He pushes up off the chair, “I should get going.”

“Yoongi…” He murmurs, his hand on his shoulder, “You don’t have to leave.”

“But I can’t really stay either.” Yoongi says plainly, “I’ll just get in the way.”

“But you just got here.” He states, his voice coming out panicked as he realises he doesn’t want him to leave.

“It’s okay.” He touches Hoseok’s cheek tenderly.

“You said you’d help me through this.” Hoseok catches his hand, clinging to it. “I know it’s not why you came here, but I need a friend right now, please.”

Yoongi nods, swallowing, “Okay, I can be a friend.”

“Really?” He asks, his eyes welling up all of a sudden.

“Of course,” He answers, embracing him, “I love you, Hoseok, I will be whatever you want me to be.”

It dawns on him how much like an island he’s been feeling lately as he holds tightly to the man’s small frame, relishing the comfort of his arms.

~

Y/N:

Waking up earlier than you have since the end of exams, you jump out of bed and quickly prepare everything for your date. Jimin’s due to arrive around noon and ordinarily you would be a frazzled mess trying to get done in time but, having picked out your clothing the night before, you only really have to stress over your cooking. With half an hour to spare, you’re ready and waiting and it’s only then that you become conscious of the fact that you’re alone in the house. Taehyung hadn’t been there when you’d woken up and you’d assumed he was in the bathroom or something, but you realise he wasn’t there either. You do a sweep of the rooms and call his name but there’s no response and you wonder where he may be. You’re not left with much time to wonder though, as you hear a car pull up outside and shortly after, a familiar whistle.

Rather than butterflies, your tummy is viciously attacked by a swarm of bees as you hear Jimin’s footsteps grow closer. When he knocks, they briefly pause before multiplying exponentially and start doing a crazy dance inside you. Containing your excitement, you walk slowly toward the door as he starts to knock.

You open the door to a pretty bouquet of flowers, behind from which Jimin pokes his head out, “Morning Angel…”

“Oppa.” You greet, beaming as you dip your head and take the flowers from him.

He rocks back and forth on his heels, gazing at you and you meet his gaze for a while before remembering that he’s standing in the cold and you both laugh and you let him in. As he steps inside, he hugs you tightly, just about lifting you off the ground. Putting you down, he softly kisses your lips and with his forehead touching yours, he whispers, “Good morning Angel.”

“Good morning Oppa.” You smile, kissing him once more.

“Is Taehyung around?” He asks as you close the door.

“Strangely enough, he isn’t.” You sigh, “He must have left before I woke up.”

“It’s just you and me, then?” He kisses your cheek, hugging you from behind. “So, what’re we doing today?”

You turn to face him, “Well, I know it’s freezing outside but there’s a place I wanna show you if it’s okay with you… Since you shared your rooftop with me…”

He smiles, pulling you closer to him, “Well, you know, the cold shouldn’t be a problem since I have you to warm me up.”

You giggle, shaking your head, “Is this the only bag you brought with?”

“Yup,” He says, taking it off his back, “Taehyung’s parents really don’t mind me sleeping over?”

“Well, he was sweet enough to ask if ‘his friend’ could stay over and I guess it helps that his mom is convinced that we’re dating.”

“You and him?” He asks, his expression bothered.

“We’ve tried telling her otherwise,” You defend, “but since we both came back home covered in hickeys…” You look at Jimin disapprovingly and steps back, holding his hands up, “…She refuses to believe us. It’s better this way though, since I haven’t told my parents about you yet.”

“You haven’t?” He pouts, following as you lead the way to the bedroom, “My parents know all about you…” He chuckles, “I think my mom might know more than I do.”

“Hey, I will,” You assure, turning to face him, “but I want to do it in person, you know?”

“I know.” He brushes your hair away and pecks your lips, dropping his backpack to the bedroom floor, “I’m just teasing, Angel… But she does know a lot about you, they both do. Sorry.”

You beam, happy that he seems so proud of you and peck him softly once or twice more, thereafter pulling him by the hand after grabbing your bag. You shrug your coat on and fetch the picnic basket you prepared, “Okay, let’s go.”

Taking your car, you first drive around a bit, taking a scenic route to the place, the conversation flowing easily.

“It’s a bit of a walk from here.” You admit, switching off the car. Jimin takes the basket and the two of you walk hand in hand up the frozen pathway, crossing under a wooden archway and into the forest.

“Ahh, wait.” Jimin stops suddenly, digging something out from the inside of his coat. “Hot pack.”

Your breath forms little white puffs, thanking him as he places it in your hands and warms them up before continuing on the path.

Twenty minutes later, you run ahead, excited to reach your spot.

“Wait here, okay?” You call.

He starts jogging after you and you run back to him, “No, no. Stay put.”

“But Angel-” He protests.

You push on his chest, keeping him back, “You can’t see yet. I’ll come fetch you.”

Reluctantly, he agrees to wait and you hurry to set everything up, having brought most of the stuff and hidden it in a little nook the day before. Out of a waterproof bag you pull a cushioned outdoor blanket and a prettier one to go over it and lay it out. There’s another blanket, but you keep it folded, setting it at one of the corners. There’s a tiny gas burner that you’ve brought with and you fill a metal kettle with water, placing it on top; next to it, you place two mugs and instant coffee. Out of the picnic basket, you take a bottle of wine and glasses, as well as the food you’d prepared, opening the lunchboxes one by one and inspecting them, making sure none of the dishes got ruined on the way.

You look everything over, your insides flopping about, nervous as you go fetch Jimin.

“That was fast.” He grins, taking your hand again as you lead him off the path.

“I think I may have oversold it a bit…” You giggle nervously.

“You know, it seems like you really went out of your way to get me alone.” He jokes, ducking under a tree branch, “Just what is it you plan on doing with me out here?”

You roll your eyes and he laughs as you pull him through the trees.

“Ta-da!”

He looks ahead and gawps at the picnic set up in the largest pool of sunlight, almost at the edge of the cliff. He turns his soft gaze to you, “You did this?”

You nod, biting your lip, “Is it okay?”

“It’s like the roof, except…upgraded, by like a lot.” He grins his goofy grin and kisses the top of your hand.

You blush and sit him down, not quite sure what to do. You sit opposite him, watching as he examines the food.

“Did you make these yourself?” He asks, pointing at the faces you’d made out of everything, “So ing cute…Omo…” He jumps up, looking down at the five boxes. “Omo, omo, omo!” He claps his hands, his eyes disappearing as his goofy grin returns, “Yah, Angel Cakes!”

You giggle, knowing he must have noticed the arrangement.

He points at the first box, “Ji…” He points at the second, “Min…”, then the third and fourth, “O…Ppa…” He his head to the side, trying to understand the last box, “Winky face?” He guesses.

You nod and he cackles raucously, laughing with his whole body and you smile, “Too cheesy?”

He plonks himself down in front of you and pulls you closer to him, shaking his head, “Not at all, you just made my day, Angel.”

“You really like being called ‘Oppa’, don’t you?” You ask, giggling.

“Nope.” He shakes his head again and kisses you sweetly, “I just really like being called ‘Oppa’ by you.”

Your heart feels like it’s going to burst and you beam like an idiot, draping your arms around his neck, already regretting what you’re about to say, but going ahead and saying it anyway, “You’re a real man, you know?”

“So you finally admit it…” He chuckles in a low tone, the upturned corners of his mouth twitching.

You shrug and he takes your face in his hands, kissing you sweetly.

~

Hoseok:

Pulling up outside Suran’s apartment, Hoseok gets out of the car, followed by Yoongi, and he calls to let her know he’s outside. She’s far from ready and near tears when she lets them in and looks like she’s having a hard time, so Hoseok runs around after her without commenting on it, taking as much out of her hands as possible.

“Hey Yoongi.” She smiles at him as he stands awkwardly in the doorway.

“Sorry for tagging along,” He apologises, “I didn’t know you guys were going to the doctor today.”

“You don’t mind, do you?” Hoseok asks, taking her bag as he ushers her out and locks up her apartment, “I asked him to come with.”

She shakes her head in reply and as he tries to help her down the single flight of stairs, she swats him away, muttering, “I’m not that pregnant.”

“Okay.” He backs off, walking slowly next to her as she takes careful steps.

The drive to the hospital is rather quiet and none of them really know what to say. When the doctor calls for Suran, Hoseok takes Yoongi’s hand as he gets up but Yoongi shakes his head, “I’ll wait out here, okay? You should really just be with her right now.”

He nods and Yoongi squeezes his hand once before letting go and he disappears into the examination room with her.

“You’re the father?” The doctor asks.

“Yes…” He answers awkwardly.

“Well, it’s nice to finally meet you.” She smiles, turning her attention to Suran, “Let’s see how baby’s getting along, shall we?”

She asks a bunch of questions, most of it going over Hoseok’s head as he stares, fixated on Suran’s belly and he realises just how unprepared he is for the coming of his child. She looks reassuringly at him and he takes her hand as a show of faith, hoping to seem supportive.

“Would we like to know the ?” The doctor asks.

They both nod and she holds tightly on to him as the doctor speaks next, “You look a bit overwhelmed.” She chuckles at Hoseok, “Did you get everything we were talking about?”

He scratches behind his ear, “Uhh…”

She laughs, “Well, that’s okay I suppose, all you really need to know is that she’s healthy, a little bit bigger than average, but nothing worth worrying over.”

“She?” They ask in unison.

“Oh my gosh, we’re having a baby girl!” Suran shouts, hitting his arm hard before the doctor can answer.

He laughs and rubs his arm, overjoyed, though a million thoughts run through his head. “A baby girl…” He echoes.

~

Y/N:

Though you’d brought him up here in part for the view, you spend most of the afternoon chatting about nothing important, just happy to be in each other’s company and you don’t even really feel the cold, although that may be a result of all the wine you’d drunk.

“So, when are you going to tell me the story about this place? I mean, it’s really pretty, but there’s a reason, right?” Jimin says, placing his head in your lap, “You said it was special.”

“It doesn’t really mean anything, but it’s like my secret place, you know?” You reply, his hair, “When I was younger, my dad would bring me up here if I was troubled or upset about something, but these days I usually come alone.” You babble, “I don’t know if it’s just me, but I think it holds a sense of serenity. Like a river of calm and peace that I can just bathe in and like…” You chuckle, having messed up his hair, “Replenish my soul.”

With closed eyes, he smiles, turning his head and kissing the inside of your thigh.

“You’re the only person I’ve ever brought here.” You admit softly, your voice barely audible as you brush from the base of his hairline down into his neck.

“Really?” He asks, opening his eyes, raising his head slightly.

You nod, bringing your face close to his and pecking his lips, “I’ve never even wanted to before, but somehow I just felt like I could with you.”

You press your lips to his again and he twists his body around, pulling you on top of him. “Angel Cakes,” He kisses you passionately, continuing his sentence with laboured breath when he eventually lifts his mouth from yours, “I think I’ve completely fallen for you.”