Challenge yourself

Between Friends

Y/N:

“It’s ing cold out here! Why didn’t you tell me?” You ask with chattering teeth.

Jimin, already on the roof, looks down at you and sighs, “You wanna go back?”

“No, no, not at all.” You vigorously shake your head, making you dizzy, “The world is spinning.” You inform him, trying to maintain your balance on the ladder.

You reach out for him and as always, he helps you take the last step on to the roof. Since it’s still dark and damp from the dew, you tread lightly, holding on to his arm until reaching the spot. He sits you down and hands you the blanket, going back to fetch the sweets and drinks. When you hold out part of the blanket for him, he stubbornly refuses.

“Why are guys always like this?” You ask, rolling your eyes, “Even Jungkook was like ‘Ah, the beer will warm me up!’” You grumble, trying to imitate his voice.

He laughs at your attempt and says, “Well, sorry for trying to be a gentleman.” He takes the blanket and wraps it around himself, scooting closer to you. “Speaking of Jungkook, you don’t mind him going on that date for me, do you?”

You shake your head, “Why would I?”

“Well, you guys are, you know…” He answers, nudging you.

“Oh no…Don’t get me wrong, he’s a lot of fun but I don’t feel that way about him.” You swallow a purple gummy bear, “Did you just say he’s going for you?”

“Yeah, my friend set me up with some girl, but you know, I don’t do blind dates.” He replies.

“You were serious about that?” You ask with wide eyes.

He nods slowly, “Is it so crazy that I want to meet a girl, be friends with her, get to know her -the real her- and fall in love without even realising it?” He asks, running a hand through his hair. “Besides, blind dates never work out anyway.”

“How could you possibly know that? You only went on one! I know plenty of couples who could not be more in love.” You reason.

“One was enough…you were there; it wasn’t exactly a great experience. I mean, you left to feed a fake cat that didn’t even belong to you.” He counters.

“That had nothing to do with you, I was just tired of Tae trying to pass me off to his hot friends after I came back.”

“Hot friends?” He asks, with a smirk.

“Yes, hot friends.” You laugh, “You know, I was already having a hard time speaking to you and you kept taunting me.”

“I only said that you were cute!”

“Oh please, don’t act so innocent now, you knew what you were doing!”

“I was nervous too! And you said it had nothing to do with me…” He narrows his eyes at you, taking a swig of his drink.

“Well, you weren’t helping yourself either,” You return, when Taehyung’s voice pops into your head.

‘You’re the only girl.’

Why would he say that?

“But I suppose it really did have nothing to do with you.” You mutter and face forward, your cider suddenly tasting bitter.

‘The only girl.’

Sensing the shift in your mood, he puts his drink down, “What happened?” He asks, looking at you.

“Mmh?” You ask, staring at the dark sky.

“You said Tae was passing you off...”

“Oh…uh, Tae and I…me and Taehyung…we weren’t always just friends…” You explain, throwing a glance at him.

“Oh…I see. Sorry for asking.” He apologises, pulling his sleeves over his hands.

“No, it’s okay,” You sigh heavily and lay back, “A couple of years ago, we were playing around as we always did and out of nowhere, he just kissed me. It was the first time for both of us and we were such awkward potatoes afterwards.” You laugh at the memory, “Anyway, I’d never thought of him as being anything more than my best friend before but somehow the lines got blurred and we kept fooling around. Of course, I went through a phase where I liked him, I mean you don’t get with someone for so long without some confusion. Then I went overseas last year for a couple of months and I don’t know…” You trail off, examining your split ends, “It was difficult being in a foreign country where hardly anyone understood me, especially since I was used to having someone at my side who knew my thoughts and feelings before even I did…Of course, when I returned though, he had a girlfriend and well, I couldn’t do anything about that.”

You your head to the side, “He actually asked me if I was okay with it once…I just laughed and told him I was fine, that even though I’m not destined for love, he still deserves to be happy.” You sit up and turn to face Jimin, “Ugh, after I said that, he promised to find me someone who deserves me and that’s when the stupid dates started. I hated it. With all my heart, I really did. Not because they were awful or the guys were horrible, but just because I hated feeling like I was a problem he had to solve, you know?” He nods and you sip on your cider, “In the end it worked out though…I got over my infatuation, he set me up with Inho, he became like my brother again and, well here we are.” His silence is deafening so you face forward like him and brush a stray hair from your face, “Sorry about that.”

“You don’t need to apologise.” He says in a low voice, plucking a gummy bear from the bowl.

“Do you have special powers or something?” You ask, taking one of your own.

“Special powers?” He asks with a half-smile, meeting your eyes.

“Yeah, I always end up spilling my beans in front of you. Even the first time we met.”

“I’m just charming like that.” He shrugs, tipping an imaginary top hat. You try to bite back your laughter and he bumps you with his shoulder. The sun finally starts showing her face and the two of you watch in silence as she climbs the clouds, waking up the rest of the world as she goes.

“Don’t take this the wrong way, but I don’t get it…” Jimin says quietly.

“Don’t get what?” You ask, puzzled.

“How you could be pro-blind-dating.”

You huff and shift your weight, “Well, my experiences weren’t exactly great, but that was because of my own hang ups and when I eventually opened myself up to it, I actually had fun and got myself a boyfriend out of it. Granted he ended up being a pathetic jerk, but it’s not to say everyone will be like that.” You explain.

“So if someone were to set you up, you’d go?” He asks.

“I’m not gonna bull you, I don’t know if I can do that -at least not now. But you haven’t given it a fair chance yet. You should do it, if for no other reason, then do it for me.” You try to convince him.

“For you?” He snickers.

“Yeah…I’d hate to think you missed out on the love of your life because you swore off blind dating after a bad one with me. For all we know, you could already have been dating her.”

“It’s not just because of you, you know? Although I probably could have had a girl by now.” He murmurs.

“I know.”

“And we are doing a seven-day challenge.” He acknowledges.

“Exactly.” You urge, “Challenge yourself.”

He tilts his head to the side and goes quiet for a while.

“Give me a do-over.” He says, turning to face you.

“What?”

“A do-over.” He chuckles, “If you believe what you said, you’d make it up to me.”

“But we know each other…that defies the very essence of the concept, besides, isn’t convincing you to give it a chance enough repayment?” You ask.

“You haven’t convinced me though. There’s only one way to do that.” He counters. “We can just pretend like we’re meeting each other for the first time.” He folds his arms, “Challenge yourself.” He imitates you. You scrunch up your face and he taps your leg, “Oh come on, I won’t actually try anything with you, it’s just practice for the real date I’ll go on if you do this.”

“You’ll really go on a real one?” You ask sceptically.

He takes your hand and extends your pinky finger, wrapping his own around it and then pressing your thumbs together, “Okay?” He asks.

“Okay.” You reluctantly agree, clinking your drink against his.

“Last one to finish has to make breakfast!” He exclaims before chugging his beer.

You panic and nearly spill your drink, scolding him between mouthfuls. He slows down and laughs to himself as you try earnestly to catch up. You take one last gulp and he feigns disappointment as he swallows the last of his, just after you. You jump up and hoot, arms held above your head in victory. He claps and shakes his head, looking up at you.

“I don’t think I’ve ever anticipated breakfast this much.” You say, pulling him up, “Pray, do tell kind sir, just what do you intend on cooking for this auspicious occasion?”

He chuckles and throws the blanket over his shoulder, “I did not know you were such a sore winner, Angel.”

“Only when people let me win.” You stick out your tongue and he gasps.

“I would never.” He says, placing one hand on his heart. “Come on, I’ll cook up something great.” He adds, letting you go down first.

Once on the ground, Jimin throws the blanket down to you and you wrap yourself up in it while he climbs down the ladder with the bowl. In the entrance, Jungkook lies passed out with one shoe on and the two of you carefully step over him. Yoongi shushes you and Jimin while he stands over Seokjin, drawing on his sleeping face with a marker and you notice two beautiful girls, also asleep, entangled with him. You quietly pass through and beeline for the kitchen, where Taehyung and Hoseok are chatting softly.

~

Taehyung:

“Hi guys.” You whisper, entering the kitchen. Jimin waves to the two boys and starts rummaging through the cupboards.

“Where did you come from?” Hoseok asks, tugging on the blanket.

You shrug it off, being much warmer inside.

Is that his jersey she’s wearing?

“We went out to watch the sunrise. It was quite beautiful -cold- but beautiful.” You answer, sitting down on a barstool.

Just the two of them?

And they just happened to only have one blanket?

“Coffee, Angel Cakes?” Jimin asks, putting the kettle on.

And what the is this Angel Cakes thing about?

“Yes please.” You answer, laying your head on Taehyung’s shoulder.

“Ho, ho!” Yoongi walks in, “Coffee? Last time I checked, there’s no alcohol in that. Are you giving up on the challenge already? There’s still like…” He pauses to count up the hours, “Ten hours left.”

“I haven’t had a wink of sleep.” You yawn, “I won’t last ten more hours without coffee.”

“Were we supposed to stay awake the full 24 hours?” Yoongi asks, scratching his head, “I fell asleep earlier though.”

“Me too…” Taehyung adds.

“Oh.” You say, perking up at the possibility of sleep.

“Let’s go have a nap then.” Taehyung suggests, rubbing your back.

Jimin’s head whips up at that but he looks back down at the mixture he was preparing.

“Jimin’s promised me breakfast. We can nap later.” You say, not wanting to waste his efforts.

He starts mixing again and looks at you, a goofy smile on his face and you can’t help but smile back.

What the is going on here?

After the much needed and appreciated breakfast, Taehyung picks you up, slinging you over his shoulder, “Time to go night-night.”

You squeal, the blood rushing to your head and lift it, blowing the hair out of your face as you wave goodbye to Jimin. He waves back, dishtowel in hand and calls after you, “Monday or Tuesday?”

Realising he’s trying to set a date, you think it over for a second and call back, “There’s someone I have to visit Monday, but I’m free Tuesday.”

“Tuesday it is.” He confirms as Taehyung rounds the corner and he disappears from your view.