Let's goooo!

Between Friends

Jungkook:

Slipping his earphones in as he steps out of the house, Jungkook stretches out before heading off for his run. The air this morning feels near frozen and is fuzzy with fog and he wonders if he should just turn back and spend the day in bed.

Come on, get your out there and get on with your life.

He decides to take a new route around the neighbourhood and pushes himself hard, harder than he has in a long time, pushing through the memories of you that he finds himself revisiting.

Winding down as he arrives back home, he shakes his head, looking at the ground, clearing his head of whatever remains. When he flips it up, he spots a small familiar figure at the front door and quickly removes his earplugs.

“Noona!” He calls excitedly, waving as he jogs up to the woman.

“Oh, Jungkook-ssi!” She returns, taking him in, “When did you get so big?”

He chuckles, “I was about to ask the opposite of you!” He grins, opening the door, “Come inside.”

“Ooh, it’s so warm!” She heads for the kitchen, “Tea?”

“No thanks, not for me.” He declines, rushing to take the kettle from her, “I’ll make it, you sit down.”

She swats him away, “I can do it, you might just burn.”

“I’m not a little kid anymore, Noona.” He says, pulling out a chair for her and moving her to it, “Sit.”

“Oh…” She seems taken aback by his actions, “Okay.”

He smiles at her as he brews the tea and bringing it over, pulls a bottle of water from the fridge for himself.

“So, what brings you by?” He asks, cracking the bottle open.

She picks her cup up and blows on it, answering, “Your brother mentioned you’d be…” She pauses, watching him take a gulp of water and she clears , continuing, “…back this week.”

He nods, swallowing, “Well, he’s at work now, if you wanted to see him.”

“I know…” She shrugs, “I thought we could catch up.”

“So, you’re planning on staying a while?” He asks.

She nods in reply and he leans back in his seat, crossing his arms, tongue in cheek, “Noona…”

“Uh?”

“Remember when I-” He starts to ask something, but shakes his head and smirks, changing his mind and getting up, “I’m gonna go shower. Make yourself comfortable, okay?”

“Uh?” She repeats.

“I’m all sweaty from my run.” He explains, walking backward, “You don’t mind being left alone for a couple of minutes, do you?”

“No, go ahead.” She smiles.

He walks sort of into the wall behind him and hits his funny bone, making her giggle, so, embarrassed, he smiles and quickly turns around, walking off to his room.

~

Y/N:

On the swing-set with Taehyung, you bite the inside of your cheek as you look over at him, twisting around in his swing, his expression cloudy. Things haven’t exactly gotten better over the past couple of days and you still feel estranged, though you’ve settled into a more friendly understanding of each other and haven’t had any fights.

“Spit it out, Hun…” He says into the silence.

“Taehyung-ah…” You twist in your swing like him, “Will you help me dye my hair?”

“What?” He asks, facing you.

You shrug, “I want a change…”

“After the last time?” He raises a brow, “Shouldn’t you rather go to the hairdresser?”

“Come on…” You nag, dragging your swing closer to his, “It’s more fun this way.”

“Meh… The smell of that bleach nearly choked me to death.” He kicks the sand about.

“Oppa please…” You whine, placing your arms on his shoulders and bringing your face near, batting your eyelashes, “Pleeeease…”

It feels somewhat awkward as you realise you haven’t even hugged him this past week but it’s soon okay as he pulls your swing toward him, holding the back of it as he briefly bats his lashes against yours, warning, “Your hair might fall out…”

You giggle as he ruffles your hair, “Is that a yes?”

He nods once and you grin, blowing a kiss as he lets go and you swing back into your original place.

“I’m guessing you want to do this tomorrow, to give Jimin a surprise?” He asks, his expression becoming clouded again.

You laugh, “Hell no, imagine if it turns out horrible…” You shudder, “We can do it on the weekend or next week sometime.”

“But its fine for me to see you with bad hair?” He asks under his breath, in a tone that should sound jokey but just comes off bitter.

“Well, yeah… You’ve already seen the worst of me and you’re still here, so…”

~

Hoseok:

With a surge of courage from his sister, who was at first disappointed when she found out the truth -after much pestering about what’s been bothering him- Hoseok calls his family together after dinner and tries explaining himself to his parents.

He sits on his knees with his head bent low, wringing his hands after explaining the situation to them, afraid of their stunned silence. His mother sits with her head in her hands and his father is still as a stone, trying to make sense of it all.

“Didn’t we raise you better than this?!” His father suddenly bursts, jumping up from his seat. “What the are you doing at that college, huh? You already put us through a lot, telling us you had a boyfriend, now you’ve gone and knocked up a girl too?” He paces with his hands on his hips, shouting, “Look at your poor mother!” He hits the back of Hoseok’s head, “You’re bringing all sorts of shame on our family.”

He apologises profusely and briefly steals a glance at his mother who now watches him with tears in her eyes.

“Abbu-” His sister pipes up, trying to help him out.

“Don’t you dare try to defend him!” He yells, “Go fetch my belt!”

Tears sting at Hoseok’s eyes and his breath catches in his throat, but he doesn’t let on, having expected this much and more, knowing how badly he’s messed up this time and he continues to apologise, his forehead pressed to the cold ground.

“Yeobo,” His mother sighs tiredly, “Hitting him won’t change anything.”

“He needs to learn! My father did worse to me.”

“Raising that baby will be punishment enough.” She starts to raise her voice, “Get off the floor, Hoseok!”

He raises his head, unsure what to do and she repeats herself, “Get up.”

As he does what she says, she takes and squeezes her fuming husband’s hand, sitting him down next to her, “Son,” she says sternly, “If you think I’ve saved you from anything, you’re dead wrong. You’re going to take responsibility for this child…” She runs her fingers through her hair, “…and this woman too, whether you like it or not.”

He stares at her, her words doing laps in his head.

“Don’t look at me like that, boy.” She warns, “Frankly, you’ve ed up and you better make damn sure to clean up your mess; there is no other option. When are you seeing that girl?” She demands.

“Tomorrow, she’s got a doctor’s appointment.” He answers quickly, his mother’s language taking him by surprise.

“Well, bring her here.” She gets up, smoothing out her clothes, “I’m done discussing this for tonight. You better get your ducks in a row, Hoseok.”

~

Jungkook:

“Noona…” Jungkook hollers as he walks down the passage, towel drying his hair.

“Here!” She calls from the living room. She’s standing looking at the photos hanging on the wall in the living room and she smiles, looking over her shoulder to see the towel completely covering his head as he wildly dries it. Ripping it from his head and flipping his hair back, he throws the towel over his shoulder. Her brain suddenly feels fuzzy at the sight of him and she forgets what she’s about to say, but without giving him a chance to notice, as he runs his fingers through his hair, she manages, “I see you still like white shirts…”

“Yeah, they’re easy, you know?” He answers, “But… Noona, are you okay?”

“Me?” She asks, pointing to herself and then waving her hands, “I’m fine!”

“Are you sure?” He asks, his tone doubtful. “You seem a bit… spacey…”

She cackles, slapping his arm, “Don’t be silly! I’m all good.”

He looks at his arm, sceptical, “Okay then…” He smiles down at her, nodding toward the TV, “Do you want to watch something?”

She shrugs, scratching the back of her neck, “Okay.”

~

Y/N:

Since there’s nothing better to do today, you and Taehyung head out to the store in search of a decent box dye.

“What about this?” He asks, pointing to a dark red tint.

You scrunch up your face, sticking your tongue out at it, your expression quickly changing to one of happiness when you spot an iced-coffee colour hiding behind it. You gasp and reach up on to the tips of your toes for it, but you’re too short, so you look back at him, pouting. He chuckles and steps toward you, bringing his face near to yours and winking as he easily reaches over your head and picks the box out, without even lifting his head to look, his eyes for some reason locked on yours.

“Show off.” You mumble, meeting his dark gaze and he smirks.

“You’re still the same as always.” You narrow your eyes at him, unsure of his meaning and he holds the box up next to your head, flashing a quick smile, “Mmh, this will go nicely.”

“You think so?” You ask, smiling, pushing on his chest to move him backward, “It’s not too light for my skin tone?”

“I don’t know,” He shrugs, “but it would be pretty on you…” Chuckling as he adds, “If we can get it right.”

“Argh, you’re such a prophet of dooooom!” You laugh, rolling your eyes and chucking it into the basket, pulling him along, “Let’s goooo!”

Oooh, thank goodness he’s becoming normal again! That staring thing was weird, but hey, it’s a lot better than an awkward stony silence. You think, smiling up at him as you wait in line to pay.

“Oh look, it’s the same cashier from the other day.” You note, finally close enough to see in front.

He groans and shakes his head, so you ask what his reaction is about and he whispers under his breath, “That girl is persistent as hell. She even found my SNS and keeps sending me messages and stuff.”

You giggle, taking more joy from it than you probably should, “Well, that will teach you not to flirt so meaninglessly.”

He sighs, “I can’t help it, I’m just naturally charming.”

You roll your eyes, singing, “Bull……”

He chuckles, “You’re such a sometimes.”

“Should I help you out then?” You grin, nudging him.

He furrows his brow as you slip your arm through his and grip it tightly, resting your head on his shoulder as he moves forward. You smile at her as she looks over at the pair of you.

“What are you doing?” He asks out of the corner of his mouth.

“Oppa!” You exclaim, looking up at him, talking loudly, “Why won’t you tell me where we’re going tonight?”

“Tonight?” He asks, confused.

“Uhuh, for our date.” You say and pretend not to notice her head whipping around.

He looks down at you, finally playing along, “Baby girl, I told you it’s a secret.”

“You didn’t forget again, did you?” You ask.

He turns toward you and cups your face, “Just let me surprise you, uh?” He seems immersed in his role as he searches your eyes, “I promise, I’ll be better this time around.”

“You promise?” You ask, going with it.

“You’re my one and only, Hun.” He kisses the top of your head.

You smile up at him before looking down, taking the basket from him and moving toward the till, not noticing how longingly he gazes at you.

“Afternoon.” You greet the cashier, unpacking the contents.

She stares, mouth slightly agape as he takes the basket, quietly unpacking the rest of it for you while you annoy yourself as you prattle on about what you should wear. You feel somewhat bad for her as he drapes his arm around your waist and you can see her taking it all in. After you pay, he takes the shopping bags in one hand and your hand in his other, kissing the top of it as you walk out.

~