I'm sorry.

Between Friends

Y/N:

Parked outside the apartment, you take a few moments to gather your strength and, working up the courage to do what you need to, you climb out of the sanctuary of your car and walk up to the entrance. As you make your way through the complex, one of your ex-neighbours stops to greet.

“It’s been a while. I thought you dropped out.” She says, a smile plastered on her face.

Really? You’re just gonna jump right in, huh?

You laugh, “Nope, I’m still here, I just moved to a nicer place. Anyway, I’m kinda in a hurry, enjoy the holiday.” You add, walking away before she can say anything else.

You stand in front of the familiar door and notice for the first time a flaw in the wood beneath the white paint. You take two deep breaths before knocking, your heart a lump in your throat and contemplate running away.

It’s too late though, as the door is flung open almost immediately and you flinch when you’re met by Caitlin’s rather pissed off face and hand raised as if she’s about to hit you. When she realises it’s you, her expression softens and she places her arm at her side, “Sorry, I thought you were someone else.”

“It’s okay.” You shake your head, “I’m sorry for showing up out of the blue.”

“It’s okay.” She replies with tears in her eyes, “I’m sorry I almost took your head off.”

“It’s okay.” You say once more, “Are you? Are you okay?”

She bats her tears away and crosses her arms, “Of course I am.”

You look at her, unable to mask your worried expression, remembering how she was always too cool for emotion. She looks back at you and bites her lip, holding her breath as she fights back the tears stinging her eyes.

“Caitlin…” You say, taking a step toward her and she shakes her head, holding out one finger for you to stop, standing frozen as she continues to hold her breath.

“Dude, you’re gonna turn blue! Let it out.” You scold after some time.

She rolls her eyes and opens to speak but no sound comes out and a single tear drops down her face. She tries again but she’s too choked up to say anything and tries taking a slow breath in. When she lets it out, a stream of tears follow suit and she stands in the doorway, becoming a blubbering mess.

“Okay, okay.” You say, rubbing her arm, “How about we go inside, uh?”

She nods and mumbles something incoherent as you let the door swing closed behind yourself. You sit her down on the plush couch and let her cry her heart out, all the while her hair as she clings to you. When she recovers a bit, you make some tea, finding everything with ease, still in the same place as before you moved out.

The two of you sip on your tea in silence until she pipes up, “Aren’t you going to ask why I was crying?”

“I didn’t think you’d want to talk about it.” You answer, looking up from your mug.

“I don’t.” She admits, looking back down into hers. “What prompted this?” She asks, gesturing at your presence.

“I just thought I’d see how you’re doing. I figured we could talk.”

“Ahh…” She smiles, “And you chose today on purpose, it being exactly three months since you moved out.”

“Yeah…you know how senti I can be.” You fiddle with your coaster.

“Honestly, I was going to do the same, not today -I thought that’d be too cheesy,” She jokes, “but sometime before the year’s up…”

Letting out a breath, she continues, “Look, about Inho…I know it’s unforgivable, but I’m sorry for pulling that on you.” She chuckles ironically and runs a hand through her hair, “Believe me, I truly am. Especially now that I’ve been on the receiving end.”

You put down your tea, “It really was a thing of you to do.” You say and she nods, scrunching up her face once more, “But I came to make peace; I don’t want any bad blood between us.”

“Maybe we can even get a drink together sometime?” She half-asks.

“Yeah, maybe…” You nod.

She laughs, “Don’t worry, I won’t hold you to that. So tell me, how’s it been living with seven gorgeous men?”

Knowing the serious talk is over, you smile slyly and arch your eyebrow, “Wouldn’t you like to know?”

“You’ve pegged one of them, haven’t you?” She giggles, “You have, haven’t you?” She playfully hits your arm.

You shrug and chuckle to yourself. Although you were never particularly close, this was the one thing you’d always shared.

“You little minx! Oh come on, tell me...” She coaxes. “Is it Taehyung? Are you guys back at it again?”

~

Taehyung:

Jungkook waltzes into the kitchen before heading off for his run, his energy suddenly zapped when he sees Taehyung sitting at the counter, eating ramyun.

“Hey Kook.” Taehyung greets between mouthfuls.

Jungkook nods to him as he pulls the fridge door open, grabbing a bottle of water and twisting it open. Not saying anything, he eyes Taehyung wearily while he takes a sip from it. Feeling the stare, the older boy looks up from his food and smiles. Jungkook just rolls his eyes and twists the cap back on, proceeding to walk out.

“Is there some sort of problem?” Taehyung asks before he can leave.

“Problem?” Jungkook asks.

“It’s getting kinda hard not to notice the weird vibe you’ve got going on whenever I’m around.” Taehyung explains, crossing his arms.

“Is she the one you were talking about in the car?” Jungkook asks, putting his bottle down and leaning against the counter, not bothering to pussyfoot around.

“What?” Taehyung knits his brow.

“Your first love. The one who ‘crawled back into your heart’. Is it her?” Jungkook clarifies for him.

“Yes.” Taehyung answers without hesitation. “Why do you care?”

Taken aback at his honesty, Jungkook takes a couple of seconds to respond and Taehyung stands up, his face mere inches from Jungkook’s, “You should stop dreaming Kook.” He warns in a low tone, “You’re nothing more than a piece of meat to her. She was in love with me before and she will be again.”

He shoves past Jungkook and walks to the sink.

“Are you sure about that?” Jungkook asks, his hands curled into tight fists, “Because as far as I know, she’s not interested in going backwards.”

Taehyung pauses with his back to Jungkook and chucks the little pot, the sound of metal on metal echoing through the house, “What would you know?”

“I know that you were together in high school. I know you never wanted to put a label on the relationship and I know that you completely screwed her over when she left. You really think she’s gonna want you back? I’m willing to bet she won’t. She even told me it was a mistake she’s not willing to make again.” Jungkook retorts, his voice growing louder with every breath he takes.

Taehyung is stunned into silence and Jungkook whacks his bottle off the counter and it bounces on to the floor, the water gushing out of the smashed plastic bottle as he walks away and punches the wall.

~

Y/N:

Not too far from home, you spot Jungkook dressed in running gear solemnly walking with his earphones in and decide to drive alongside him, catcalling with your music turned up. It doesn’t work so you give up hoot, finally catching his attention and gesture for him to get in.

“Hey there y.” You say cheerily.

“Well at least someone’s in a good mood.” He mutters, getting in and adjusting the volume.

“I am.” You smile at him, “What’s up?”

“Nothing much.” He sighs heavily.

“Aren’t you going on a date today?” You ask.

He nods and zips his track jacket all the way up, burying half of his face in it, looking out the window.

“Why do you look so miserable then? Shouldn’t you be more excited, or at the very least, kinda happy or something?”

“Why are you so excited about it?” He asks, his words muffled by the material.

You shrug, pulling up the driveway, “I’m just happy. You have to tell me all about it, okay?”

He mumbles something to himself and you notice his knee bouncing, so you ask, “Are you nervous? Is that why you’re so on edge?” 

“No Y/N!” He snaps and breathes in deeply, yanking his seatbelt, struggling to get it off, “Why’d I even put this dumb on?!” He freaks, still fighting with the belt, “I’m just having a bad day. I should never have agreed to do this in the first place. It’s not like it’s having the desired effect anyway.”

“Desired effect?” You ask, confused, effortlessly unbuckling the belt for him.

“Never mind.” He mutters, slamming the car door as he gets out.

What the happened to him?

“Jungkook!” You call, climbing out after him.

He ignores you and when you tug on his arm after catching up with his long strides, he stops abruptly and whirls around, jerking his arm away from you.

“What?!” He growls, the expression on his face so fierce and downright angry that you flinch again.

“Did something happen?” You ask timidly.

He barks something like an empty laugh once, his eyes fiery but distant and cold at the same time, “Did something happen?” He snarls.

“Look Jungkook, I don’t understand what’s going on.” You implore, trying to wrap your head around his bizarre behaviour.

He searches your face and the fire in his eyes dies, his voice cracking when he speaks next, “You really don’t, do you? It’s never even crossed your mind, has it?”

You’re acutely struck by the pain in both his eyes and voice and at once, the pieces come together, all the little things you’d overlooked or taken for sheer playfulness.

Freezing up at your very touch, grabbing your hand whenever he got the chance, always wanting to stop at the park or go for walks…His behaviour when you showered with Taehyung the morning after he’d practically given himself to you. , how could I be so ing stupid? Kissing you in front of everyone, making sure you were there when he told Jimin he’d go on that date. .

“Oh no…” You whisper without realising and reach out for him, “Kookie…”

He pulls away from your touch, turning his face away as a tear threatens to fall from one of his eyes, “Please don’t.”

“I’m sorry.” You say, withdrawing your hand, and he nods with tear-filled, red-rimmed eyes, tongue in cheek and hands in his pockets.

“I have a date to prepare for.” He says, pulling his jacket tighter around him before turning on his heel and disappearing into the house.

~

Taehyung:

“No! No! Nooooo!” You cry out as Taehyung beats you for the fifth time in a row in your favourite game.

He chuckles when you toss your console one side and stretch yourself out in front of him on the living room floor, whining endlessly as you lay your head in his lap.

“I don’t think you’ve ever played so bad.” He comments, taking it back when you threaten to bite him. He says nothing after that but finger-combs your hair and you can feel the unspoken question hanging in the air: Is everything okay?

“Everything is fine Taetae.” You assure him and close your eyes, welcoming the comfortable silence enveloping the two of you.

“Actually, can I ask you something?” You ask, breaking the silence.

“Go ahead.”

“Do you think Jungkook-” You’re cut off when Taehyung’s fingers stop dead in their tracks at the mention of the boy’s name. You clear your throat and open your eyes, “Do you think that Jungkook likes me?”

“Do you want him to?” He asks.

Please say no.

“No, but he got all pissed off when I asked about his blind date earlier and the way he looked at me…” You wander off and shut your eyes again, trying to shake his lonely image from your head. “You should have seen him Tae. Please tell me I’m imagining things?”

“I can’t lie to you, sweetheart.” He answers, your cheek once.

“Oppa, what am I supposed to do?” You ask, looking to him for the answer.

“There’s not much you can do hun. Especially if you don’t feel the same way as him.”

“But I don’t want to hurt him.”

“I know.” He coos, bending down and kissing your forehead, “Just give him some time and space, he’ll move on soon enough.”