What's the occasion?

Between Friends

Y/N:

As midterms near, you can feel the tension in the house is rising, becoming almost tangible. You cut back on the time you spend fooling around with Jungkook and almost never see the rest of the boys, even at meal times. In addition to your academic preparation, to cope with the stress, you start jogging every day and try to meditate when it really gets to you.

You finish up your jog one evening, about to head inside when someone calls, “Angel Cakes!” You look around but see no one. “Angel Cakes!” The voice calls again. “Up here!” A boy hisses.

You look up and gasp when you see Jimin waving at you from the rooftop, his legs dangling off the edge. “Jiminie get down from there!” You insist.

“Come up!” He calls down.

“What? No way dude.”

“It’s completely safe, I do this all the time. Come to the side of the house, I’ll help you!”

He pulls himself up and walks carefully around, urging you, “Come up!”

You sigh and cross your arms, but go around anyway.

He smiles and holds the ladder steady for you as you climb it. As you take the last step between the ladder and the roof, you nearly lose your balance and he quickly steadies you, one hand on your waist, the other holding your hand, “You good, Angel Cakes?”

“You said this was safe!” You exclaim, hitting him on the arm, “And did you just call me ‘Angel Cakes’?” You ask, disgusted.

“It is safe; and yes I did. I’m putting my foot down, so until you stop calling me ‘Jiminie’ I will continue to do so.”

“What would you have me call you then?”

“Repeat after me.” He says and you nod. “Ji-” He sounds out.

“Ji-” You repeat.

He smiles, “Min”

“Min” You say.

“O-” He urges.

I am not calling you Oppa

“-ie.” You finish.

“No, no…that’s close but not quite what I was going for. Come on, you can do it, ‘O-’” He tries again.

“-ie.” You say with a smile, sounding it out, “Ji-min-ie.”

“You know what, Angel Cakes? You’ll get it right one day. For now, why don’t you come and sit down, uh?” He suggests, giving up and guiding you to his spot.

“Oh wow, you weren’t joking when you said you come up here often.” You remark, looking at the picnic blanket, outdoor lantern and stash of random stuff in a tool box.

“Yeah…it gets a bit stuffy inside sometimes. It’s nice to come up here and just be, you know?” He says, sitting down next to you.

“No kidding. It’s beautiful up here.” You agree, awe-struck by the pink and orange marbled sky, littered with puffy white clouds, illuminated by the setting sun.

“Mmh, I think so too.” He says, leaning back with his face upturned, almost as if he’s waiting for droplets of rain to fall from the sky and kiss his skin. He opens his eyes and looks over at you, “You shouldn’t jog all by yourself, it’s not safe…especially for a pretty young thing.”

“A pretty young thing? Me?” You ask, pretending to be flattered.

“Don’t take it to heart Angel Cakes.” He warns, ruffling your hair, “You’re missing the point…stop running alone, okay? Rather get a buddy. Oh, and don’t run when the sun’s going down, it’s dangerous out there. Unless your buddy is big and strong and will protect you…but even then, carry pepper spray and a tazer.”

You laugh and ask, “Wow, I didn’t know there were so many requirements for jogging buddies. Gosh, where I will find someone I can trust who lives nearby, actually wants to jog -let alone with me- is big, strong and willing to protect me?”

“I really don’t know,” He says, scratching his chin, “Maybe you should put up a flyer.”

Amused, you answer, “Nah, that’s too much effort. I’ll just continue going alone, at sunrise and set every day, completely unprotected.”

“I’ll keep you in my prayers.” He chuckles.

“Oh please do.” You respond, leaning back on your elbows.

~

Y/N:

“Taetae…” You sing, knocking on his door before opening it. You poke your head inside and find him sitting at his desk trying to weave a pencil into his hair.

“What’s up?” He waves you inside.

“You busy?” You ask, pouting.

“Well I should be, but I need a break.” He replies, diving on to his bed, “Come lay next to me so I have someone to blame for not studying.”

You crawl on to the bed and make yourself comfortable, resting your head in the crook of his arm, “Gosh, it’s been too long since we’ve done this.” You comment, closing your eyes briefly. When you open them next, you’re still in his arms, although you can tell a significant amount of time has passed. “Taehyung-ah…” You drawl, your voice husky after sleeping. You look up to see him holding a book in one hand, reading earnestly. “Why didn’t you wake me so you could study properly?”

“The time passes faster when you’re here, it makes studying bearable.” He answers, drawing you closer and rubbing your back.

“I’d bet you’d charm the socks off a lamp, given the chance.” You mumble under your breath.

“I definitely could.” He quips. “Now keep it down, eh?”

~

Y/N:

In the early morning, you emerge from your bedroom, quietly making your way through the sleeping house while tying your hair in a ponytail. You spot a silhouette leaning against the wall and pray it isn’t a ghost.

“I thought we were leaving at sunrise.” Jimin says with a smirk, kicking off the wall, walking toward you.

Relieved it’s just him, you beam, asking, “We?”

“I’ve been waiting nearly an hour.” He says casually, slipping his hands into the pockets of his track pants. “Can we go now?”

He unlocks the door and you follow him out, stretching in silence.

“Holy !” You exclaim when you look up and see him contorting his body, “How are you even doing that?” You ask, trying to mimic him.

He laughs at your weak attempt, “I’ll teach you one day. Anyway, what route do you usually take?”

~

Y/N:

The house is so still you could hear the conversations between the hiding ants if you tried; you were mistaken when you thought tensions were high before. Now that exams have started, unless you’re writing, you don’t see anyone except for Jimin in the morning when you jog and occasionally Taehyung will seek you out.

After his first paper, Namjoon came back home and marched through the house swearing under his breath, breaking the handle of his room door after shutting it so hard that it bounced back open and shut itself equally loudly. When Yoongi came back from one of his, you could hear the soju bottles clinking as he staggered to his room. Hoseok seemed fine every time he wrote and so did Taehyung, Jimin and Jungkook, although you noticed the latter two had started pouring themselves into their workouts.

One Friday Seokjin walks in, throws his keys down and shouts, “ yeah!”

He then howls and calls out from the passageway, “Everyone, listen up! We haven’t had a meal together in a while, so I’m making dinner tonight and I’ve got something important to say, so you better be there, okay?” He waits for a few moments for a response, but when none comes, he asks, “You heard that, right?”

His question is met by a unanimous “Yeah.” From everybody still in their rooms and you can’t help but giggle.

Pretty soon, the house is filled with spicy aroma of cooking food and slowly but surely, everyone emerges from their rooms. One of the boys put some background music on and you all take some time out, the lively chatter blessing your ears. You try to help Seokjin out with the cooking but he shoos you away, insisting that he needs to do it by himself.

“Sorry Angel Cakes.” Jimin says, his hands on your waist as he tries to squeeze past you while you lay the dinner table.

“Sure thing, Jiminie.” You answer with a smile, moving out of the way.

You don’t notice it, but Taehyung and Jungkook both throw him dirty looks, neither saying anything. It’s not long before dinner is ready and you all gather around, astounded by the feast laid out before you.

“What’s the occasion?” Namjoon asks, his lips.

“Let’s eat first, I’ll explain afterward.” Seokjin answers.

Although you’re all eager to hear the reason behind his actions, nobody needs a second invitation to dig in. Taehyung burns his mouth while shovelling a piece of meat into his mouth when amidst the dinner chatter Seokjin blurts, “Today I landed a role in a drama.”

The conversation ceases as all eyes turn to him and Yoongi drops his chopsticks, “What did you just say?” he asks Jin who continues eating as if nothing happened.

“I landed a role in a drama.” He answers nonchalantly.

At that, the house erupts into chaos, everyone trying to get a word in first. Namjoon whistles loudly, and the rest of you calm down, shutting up and sitting down immediately.

“Care to elaborate?” He asks Jin, leaning back and folding his arms.

“It’s nothing big,” Seokjin explains, shrugging, “I’m just playing the brother of the lead. I really didn’t think I would get the part, but hey, here we are.”

“‘Just’? ‘Just the brother of the lead?’” Hoseok asks, dumbfounded. “Hello? How is that ‘just’ something?”

“Wah, I can see it now.” Taehyung marvels, looking up into the distance, “The limo arrives, the cameras are clicking and flashing, girls are screaming, ‘Kim Seokjin! Kim Seokjin!’ He steps out and they all go wild. He waves and when he winks at one of the fans, she faints.” He hangs his head and shakes it, “Just one of the many casualties of the day.” When he looks up, he quips, “You better give me your autograph before you get famous, I might need to sell it one day.”

Seokjin just waves off everyone’s compliments and congratulations but you can all tell he’s nearly bursting at the seams with excitement of his first big role.

“This is fan-ing-tastic! Congrats Hyung.” Jungkook bubbles, “When exams finish, we have to knock a few back to celebrate properly.”

“We should go hard in the last week…the year’s almost finished and then we probably won’t see much of each other over Christmas.” Hoseok adds.

“How about we do a seven-day challenge?” You suggest, “You know, a week of challenging yourself to things you wouldn’t ordinarily do, like drinking or getting a piercing, stuff like that.”

“But we always drink, it’s not necessarily a challenge…” Yoongi says, stating the obvious.

“Not for 24 straight hours.” You counter, arching your eyebrow.

“24 hours?” He echoes, a devilish smile creeping up on his face.

You giggle, “Yeah, we could start the challenge with that.”