Surprise me?

Between Friends

Y/N:

You wake to the sound of running water and find Jungkook climbing into your shower. He doesn’t notice you, so for a while you just stand there staring at his back muscles.

“Are you going to get in or just stare at me all day?” He asks, giving you a fright.

“Yah! If you knew I was standing here, why didn’t you say something?”

“I could ask you the same question.” He returns, laughing. “Now are you getting in or can I actually shower?”

“Gosh, when did you get so cocky?” You ask, looking at your vibrating phone, “Where have the days gone where you couldn’t even…that’s so weird.”

“What’s wrong?” He asks.

“Taehyung just called.” You answer, “Ooh, a message.” You open the text and your heart drops.

Your mom’s on her way here, thought I’d give you a heads up.

“! I’ll be back soon.” You call to Jungkook, scrambling out of the bedroom.

You’re nervous about seeing your mom. You used to be so close that you’d tell her everything but after you started dating Inho against her wishes, you’ve been more than a little distant.

You barge into Taehyung’s room to find only Hoseok and Yoongi sitting there and comment without thinking, “Aww, you guys are so cute.” Yoongi looks like he wants to protest but you interrupt him, asking, “Have you seen Tae?”

“He just got in the shower.” Hoseok replies, “Why did-”

“Thank you.” You shout, running to the bathroom.

“Tae!” You squeak, hurriedly opening the shower door.

“Hey, did you get my message?” He asks.

“Can I get in?” You ask, pulling your nightie over your head.

“Oooh…you slept without underwear?”

You roll your eyes, explaining quickly, “Kookie slept over last night, but that’s not important, my mom’s on her way here?”

“Yeah, mine is coming too.”

 “Oh my gosh! Why didn’t you tell me sooner? If you’re done, can you get out?” You ask, half pushing him out of the shower.

“Showers with you used to be so much fun.” He sighs, placing his hands on your shoulders. “Why are you so frazzled? You haven’t done anything wrong.”

“Dude. I didn’t tell my parents that I broke up with the guy they hate or that I moved…let alone that I moved into a house with seven guys. Actually, how does my mom know I live here? What if they think I'm like the village bicycle? I didn’t even bother to send her as much as a message while I was dating Inho and she’s coming here now. My room is a ing mess, Kookie is still in my shower, my hair looks like , I feel so fat and to top it all off, I almost failed my last test. Gosh, I’m such a bad person." You rattle off, sobbing.

"Honey...calm down." He says, embracing you. “You’ll be okay. If anything, your mom will be happy that you broke things off with him. Imagine if you knew he was cheating and stayed with him anyway. Then she’d have something to be pissed about. You look ing fabulous and even if you didn’t, your mom wouldn’t care about those things…you’re just a bit overwhelmed right now.”

“But we haven’t spoken in months…What if she hates me?”

“Don’t be silly. She doesn’t hate you. If she did, would she have come all this way to visit you? My mom said yours was coming down to make amends.”

“Are you sure?” You ask, looking up at him.

He takes your face in his hands, "Yes. Everything will be fine. I’m sure of it, trust me, okay?"

You nod and he kisses your forehead. "Just breathe."

He climbs out and lets you wash yourself. When you switch the water off, he wraps you in his towel and leads you out of the bathroom, instructing, "Now go back to your room, chuck Jungkook out, get dressed and tidy your room up a bit. Come to the kitchen when you're done. I'll take care of everything else."

Yoongi passes the two of you as you come out of the bathroom and does a double-take, taking in Taehyung's bare state and you in the towel and opens his mouth to say something but changes his mind and he walks past, asking himself, "Why is everyone so weird today?”

When you go to your room, you’re shocked to find Jungkook miraculously changing your bedding. “Hey,” He says, standing with his hands on his hips, “The most awkward thing just happened, Yoongi walked in here and-”

“I’d love to hear what happened but can we do this later?” You ask, adding, “My mom is on her way here so, uh, yeah. You should probably not be in my room...” You trail off, picking out something to wear.

“. I’ll leave.” He notices the towel you’re wrapped in, “Wait, when did you shower?”

“I just jumped in with Tae.” You reply with a shrug, slipping a jersey over your dress. “Thanks for changing the bedding, it’s really a great help.”

“You showered with Taehyung?” He asks, frowning.

“Well, yeah.”

“?” He blurts out, incredulous.

“How else would we shower?” You ask back.

“But why? I was already right here in your shower, besides, isn’t that a bit weird?”

“Well, uh, I guess it is, but I needed him.” You answer simply, struggling to understand why he’s having such a problem.

You catch a glimpse of something in his eyes before he smiles and shrugs, “Oh, okay. Have fun with your mom then.” He says, picking up his clothes and exiting the room.

~

Y/N:

Taehyung opens the door for your mothers, ushering them inside. His mother hugs you while your mom hugs him and takes his face in her hands, asking, “How do you get more handsome every time I see you?”

He chuckles and closes the door behind her, about to respond when she sees you and exclaims, rushing toward you, “My sweet baby!”

The moment she envelopes you, your chest heaves, “Eomma…” You manage, hugging her back, “I’ve missed you so much.” You whisper, taking in her familiar scent.

Taehyung goes into the kitchen and brings out biscuits and tea on a tray.

“Oh, mommy, so much has happened.” You say when she lets go of you.

“Well, you can tell me all about it now, okay?” She reassures you, “Now show me to your room, I fear there may be some tears on the way.”

You sit at the foot of your bed and start explaining everything to your mother, from how she was right about Inho to how you ended up living with Taehyung and his friends.

“Well, while I can’t say I’m thrilled about you living with a bunch of men -Taehyung included- I am happy that you didn’t sacrifice your morals for that sad sack. Gosh, no offense hun, but Inho is really so much more pathetic than even I could have imagined.”

You smile weakly at her, knowing she speaks the truth.

“And there’s nothing between you and Taehyung?” She inquires. “I’m sorry, I know you’ve been joined at the hip since you were knee high to a grasshopper, but come on, you can’t blame me for asking…we all know you two fooled around with each other for the better part of your teenage years.”

“You knew?” You ask, not expecting the conversation to take this turn. Damn, I thought we were so good at hiding it!

“You’re joking, right?” She asks, giggling, “Anyone who laid eyes on the pair of you would know!” She lowers the tone of her voice and asks, “So, is there something?”

You shake your head in reply and answer, “We work better just being friends. Anyway, enough about my sad love life, how’re things at home?”

“As long as you know what you’re doing and that I’ll always be here for you, I don’t mind what you do.” She says, running her hand through your thick locks and sighs, “Things are good; I suppose nothing exceptionally exciting has happened. Your dad is still a workaholic, but we’re going on a second honeymoon soon…the whole thing is quite romantic, he’s hardly given me any details, but we should be back before you come home for Christmas, so you don’t have to worry.”

“What?” You ask in disbelief, cringing, “Couldn’t you just say you were going on a trip? Now I’m going to have nightmares.” You wail, mock crying into your pillow.

“I thought you wanted to hear about my love life…” She laughs, knowing damn well that’s not what you meant. “Well regardless, I’m so excited, there’s so many things I have to do.” She chirps, clapping her hands. You roll over and laugh, realising just how much you’ve missed having her to talk to. You head back inside to Taehyung and his mother and the four of you talk the hours away, just like old times.

Before the sun sets, your moms say their goodbyes, wishing you well for midterms. After seeing them off, you shut the door and lean against it, exhaling.

Taehyung crosses his arms and looks at you, eyebrow arched, “Is it just me, or did your mom not seem to hate you?”

You laugh and shake your head, “Thanks Taetae.” You say, wrapping your arms around him. “For always dealing with my crazy.”

He squeezes you back and you can feel him smile, “It’s child’s play really, I mean I’ve been dealing with it my whole life.”

You pull away, squealing, “You’re supposed to tell me I’m not crazy!”

“You got into my shower and tried to kick me out of it!” He squawks, “Even you have to admit that’s kinda basket case-ish.”

At that, you cover your eyes, “Ugh…don’t remind me. It was weird, huh?”

“Just a little.” He admits, laughing. “’Sup Kook?” He calls to Jungkook, looking like an awkward turtle in the passageway.

“Hiii…” He waves, “Your moms are gone?” He half asks, half states, walking toward you.

You nod and frown, “You haven’t been cooped up all day, have you?”

“Nah, don’t worry. I was actually on my way to the shop.” He informs, zipping up his hoodie, adding, “Is there anything you want?”

Remembering those words from the text he sent you the first time you guys actually hooked up, you respond, “Just you.”

He smirks, commenting, “Autocorrect must be acting up again, huh?”

“Of course.” You answer with a playful smile.

He returns the smile and meets your gaze for a while, about to reply when Taehyung interrupts him, muttering, “Get a room, would you?”, walking away, shaking his head.

You giggle and Jungkook looks down, shoving his hands in his pockets.

“You know some ice-cream wouldn’t be bad.” You say into the settling silence.

“Oh yeah? What kind?” He asks, looking up.

“Mmh, I’m not sure…” You respond, seriously contemplating your options. “Surprise me?”

“Aw hell no. You’re not doing that to me.” He protests, taking you by the arm, “Just come choose your own.” He adds, barely giving you enough time to slip on your shoes.

~

You walk to the shop together and stop off at the park to enjoy the ice-cream. You try to see-saw but against his muscular build, it’s really quite a useless effort. He climbs off, setting the thing down gently so you don’t get hurt and comes around to sit opposite you in front of the handlebars. He finishes his cone first and stares slack-jawed as you take your time with yours, completely engrossed in trying to save the melting ice-cream from the floor.

“How much longer do you plan on molesting that poor thing?” He asks eventually, snapping you from your trance.

You slide the remainder of it into your mouth and wink as he narrows his eyes at you, prompting you to your lips before biting the lower of the two as you try desperately not to laugh.

“You getting jealous of an ice-cream cone?” You inquire.

“Maybe…” He admits, shooting you a sideways glance.

“Don’t be. He’s got nothing on your popsicle.” You assure, beaming like an idiot.

He scrunches his face up, “So ing corny…” He says, lifting your chin to kiss you.

~