I'm not jealous!

Between Friends

Hoseok:

Staring up at the blank ceiling, Hoseok recalls how he did the same the previous morning, having delayed getting out of bed then too.

The usually comforting smell of his mother’s cooking made him feel nauseous. Shutting his eyes tightly as he mustered the courage to leave his sanctuary, he rehearsed what he’d prepared to say to his parents and played the scenario out in his head once more.

“Okay.” He mumbled to himself, swinging his legs over the edge of his bed, “Let’s just get this out of the way…”

Barefoot on the wooden flooring, he made his way to the kitchen and greeted his mother. He’d set the table in silence, listening to her humming a sweet song softly to herself. His father joined them and kissed his mother on her cheek as he poured his coffee. Plonking himself down opposite him, he asked, “So, when are we meeting this Min Yoongi guy?”

“Sorry?” Hoseok asked, starting at the mention of the man’s name.

“Your boyfriend. Isn’t that his name?” His father asked over his mug.

“You want to meet him?” Hoseok asked, shocked, given that his parents had never really accepted or even spoken about his uality after he’d talked about it with them.

“Well, it’s about time, don’t you think?” His mother asked back.

Sighing with a turning stomach he answered, “I really don’t know.”, then under his breath he mumbled, “We’re not in a good place right now.”

“Not in a good place? Why?” His father queried, putting his mug down, affectionately asking, “Did he hurt you?”

“It’s not his fault. I did something terrible…” Hoseok shook his head, putting on a brave smile, changing his mind about telling them just then, “…but never mind that, let’s eat.”

Aware of his parents and sister eyeing him warily, his heart was thudding irregularly in his chest, but they said no more about the subject and instead made the most of their Sunday breakfast.

Suddenly, the sound of his phone ringing shrills through the room and snaps him from his thoughts. Digging around in his bed for it, he finds the device and sighs seeing the caller.

“Morning!” Suran sings into his ear and he holds the phone a little bit further away.

“Oh, Suran. Hi.” He answers groggily.

“Sorry, were you still sleeping?” She asks quietly.

“Not really, anyway, don’t worry, I didn’t forget about our meeting.” He sits up in bed, “I’ll be there in an hour.”

~

Y/N:

Stepping over Taehyung on the floor, you climb out of bed and head to the kitchen to get some breakfast. The house is quiet, the only sound that of your cereal being ground between your teeth as you chew angrily, lost in thought.

Taehyung is such a , I mean, does he have to make the situation more uncomfortable than it already is? I know it’s weird for him but we’re stuck here together, can’t we at least be normal? Why did my parents have to extend their trip? Why was I stupid enough to encourage them to do so? Why did I agree to stay here while they’re gone? Argh, maybe I’m the .

“Was the cereal rude to you or something?” Taehyung grumbles, pouring himself a bowl.

You look over at him and sigh, pushing your bowl away, “It’s not the cereal.”

“Well then, don’t take your anger out on it. It’s not fair.” He stretches, ruffling his hair as he sits down opposite you, “You should get dressed if you’re done, we have to do.”

You look at him questioningly and he explains, shooing you with his spoon, “My mom’s left an errand list.”

~

Hoseok:

“Hi!” Suran greets, standing as Hoseok approaches her in the café.

“Hey…” He responds, avoiding her gaze as he sits down and removes his sunglasses.

“So… How’s it been back home?” She asks, trying to make conversation.

“I haven’t told my parents yet.” He answers curtly. “I will, obviously, but I haven’t yet.”

“I wasn’t asking that…” She says softly, blinking rapidly, but she smiles and answers cheerfully, “But that’s okay, you’ve only been home a day now…”

He nods, still looking out the window with his arms crossed.

She scratches the back of her neck, thereafter folding her hands in her lap, “Hoseok-ah…”

“Uh?” He briefly glances at her.

“I have to go to the doctor later this week. I’m due for my second scan.”

“Okay.”

“Would you like to come with me?” She asks hopefully, “I’ve already delayed it, in case you wanted to see for yourself.”

He turns to look at her, “This isn’t some kind of sick joke, right? You’re really having a baby?”

She nods eagerly, her hands on the table, retracting before they reach for him, “We’re having a baby…” Her words fumble as they fall from her lips, “It really is yours, there’s no other possibility, I wouldn’t lie about something like this.”

We’re…” He repeats slowly, tasting the word in his mouth, running his fingers through his hair as he sighs. He notices how she’s trying not to come off too eager, but that she’s clearly a nervous wreck right now, and thinking about how scared and alone she must have been, going through all this on her own over the past few months, he doesn’t realise how intently he stares at her.

“What?” She asks, disturbing him from his thoughts, “You’re looking at me like I’m an alien.”

“Why did you wait so long before telling me about this?” He asks sternly.

“At first I wasn’t sure if I’d keep it…” She smiles abashed, looking away, “…then I thought I would do it by myself. I don’t need a man… and even though I’ve told you now… I still don’t need a man, that’s not why I’m doing this.” She shakes her head and locks her eyes with his, “You’re still very young and I don’t expect you to change your plans for your future or drop Yoongi or anything. I’m old enough, I can do this alone.” She bats tears away, “I just thought it would be unfair to keep it from you.”

“I’m sorry, but that’s ing stupid.” Hoseok murmurs with an arched brow, “I don’t know how we’re supposed do this, but I’m not just going to go on with my life knowing that there’s going to be a lost little kid running around somewhere out there that’s supposed to be mine.” He leans back in his seat and waves his hands about, “I’m not saying you can’t do it alone, but I’m not that selfish.”

“But you’re not even done with college yet.” She protests.

“We can figure out the logistics later. For now, I just need to tell my parents and take the backlash from them. We’ll go to the doctor and… I don’t know, I’ll do some reading and stuff…” He sighs, “I’m starting a job next week, it pays pretty decently and I have some savings that…” He drifts off as silent tears stream down her face and his expression softens, “Are you okay?”

She sniffles, nodding as she tries to swat them away, “I’m fine, it’s just-” She starts balling and covers her face, “Preg-huh-nancy horrrmones….”

He scoots closer to her and digs around in his pocket for a tissue, trying to calm her down and not cause a scene.

“Okay, okay…” He rubs her back, “Shhh… Just breathe, it’s going to be okay.” Looking around, he spots an old couple staring at them and he glowers back until they look away, “Do you wanna get some fresh air?”

She nods into his chest and he runs his fingers through her hair reassuringly, “Okay, let’s just wipe those tears away, uh?”

She pulls away and he wipes her tears with a fresh tissue, squeezing her hand as he helps her up, “I know I’m a bit of a , but you don’t have to do this alone anymore.”

Letting out a raggedy breath, she manages, “I’m so sorry.”

He swings the café door open, “Come on, let’s go.”

Their walk doesn’t last long before she has to stop and they sit down on a bench as she catches her breath.

“Should I get you coffee or something?” He offers, looking at her worriedly.

“I can’t drink coffee, Silly.” She giggles, pulling a bottle of water from her enormous bag.

“Is it normal to get so tired just from walking?” He asks, watching her chug the water.

She nods, “There’s a big baby kicking around inside me.”

“It’s already kicking?” He squawks.

“Well, moving anyway…” She shrugs, “Would you like to feel?”

“Can I?” He asks, hesitantly extending his hand before placing it back on his knee.

Suran smiles, ing her coat and his mouth drops as she exposes the tight-fitting violet material, straining as it clings to her belly.

“Here, give me your hand.” She opens her hand, waiting for his.

“When did you get like this?” He asks, gesturing at her protruding tummy, “You didn’t look like this last week…”

She laughs, “What are you trying to say?”

He chuckles nervously and gives her his hand.

“Don’t be so scared…” She places it on her stomach, “It’s not like you’ll hurt the baby.”

Not feeling anything, he looks up at her and she smiles, “Wait for it…”

He shrieks, pulling away at the sudden movement beneath his palm and she laughs, asking, “You okay?”

He nods and, smiling, he lays both hands on her belly, gasping in awe at the feeling, “Oh my gosh… There’s a little baby inside you, our little baby is inside you…” His smile turns sour and he suddenly pulls his hands away, “!” He rubs them on his pants, “! ! !”

Confused by his reaction, she sits upright and wrings her hands.

“Holy …” He scratches his head and buries it in his hands, “This is really happening…” He rocks back and forth, “That’s a real child in there…” He looks over at her and quickly buttons her coat back up, fervently rubbing her tummy, “He won’t get sick, will he?”

Suran shakes her head in reply, at first unable to say anything at his erratic behaviour. After Hoseok sits back, she questions, “He?”

“Huh?” He answers.

“You want a boy?”

He shrugs, “Or a girl, I don’t mind either way… Why? Is it a girl?”

“No, I don’t know, but we can probably find out when we go to the doctor.” She clarifies.

He nods, “Right. I can pick you up that day and we can drive up together.”

“That’d be nice.” She smiles hopefully at him.

“Where are you staying anyway?” He asks.

“Still in my apartment… I just drove here today, you know… since I wasn’t sure what was going to happen…”

“Oh… So, you’re not nearby then…” He surmises, disappointed.

~

Y/N:

Who knew grocery shopping could be so boring?

“Taehyung-ahhhhh…” You whine in the store, following the boy around as he races ahead with the trolley.

“Taehyung-ahhhhh…” He mimics, flying around the corner into the next isle.

With heavy feet, you walk after him and rejoice, thankful that he’s heading for the check out.

“Are you sure we’ve got everything?” You ask, looking up at him.

Turning his attention to the cashier, he smiles, ignoring you, so you tug at his arm and he narrows his eyes at you, flicking your forehead.

“Oppa!” You cry, rubbing your head, “Can’t you just be nice today?”

He rolls his eyes and ruffles your hair, “I’m always nice.”

“Your girlfriend is very cute.” The cashier mentions, grinning at Taehyung.

“She’s not my girlfriend.” He says, stepping further from you.

“Oh?” She asks, looking hopeful.

He flashes a half-smile at her and runs a hand through his hair, the two of them flirting horribly, the whole spectacle making you nauseous.

~

“Argh,” You say in the car, “Was that necessary?”

“What?” Taehyung asks.

You imitate the woman and twirl your hair around your finger, much to his amusement.

“Should I have rather thrown an arm around you and told her we’re dating?”

You shrug, about to say something when he laughs outright, “Jealousy is not a good look on you, Hun.”

“I’m not jealous!” You protest, “But you flirt with everything, it’s not right.”

“I don’t flirt with you.”

“Exactly!” You snap your fingers, “You’re being weird.”

“So, you -who has a boyfriend- wants me to flirt with you and share a bed?”

“What? No. I just want you to be normal.”

You pull your knees up to your chest, “Look, I’m just saying, I know it’s weird that I’m with Jimin because he’s a close friend of yours, but our friendship won’t change, I promise I won’t let it.”

“Your words cut like diamonds, Hun.” He shakes his head and keeps driving, the light-hearted mood morphing into something more strained.

~

“Good evening Angel!” Jimin croons, answering the phone cheerily.

“Evening Oppa!” You sing in return, bouncing on to the bed and sitting down after showering, “How’ve you been?”

“Bored…” He answers plainly, “I’m at a family gathering.”

“Well, at least there’s nothing there to upset you…” You sigh, frustrated.

You can hear him excuse himself on the other side, “What’s the matter?”

“Argh, Tae is just being retarded.” You say dismissively.

“How so?” Jimin asks.

“He’s just…” You start off, exasperated, “I mean, he’s being so weird, like he’s not being jokey and stuff with me and he’s so darn quiet all the time!” You throw your hand in the air, “Can you believe the boy is insisting on sleeping on the floor when he has a bed?”

“What? Is he silently protesting something?” Jimin chuckles.

“I don’t know… Anyway, you’re still coming through on Friday?”

“Mmh, of course! You know…” You hear him his bottom lip, “I think it was a mistake to come back to your room the other night.”

“A mistake?” You ask, intrigued.

“Uhuh, I can’t stop thinking about you.”

You laugh, delighted and roll over on to your side, “Really?” You finger the stitching of the blanket, “What are you thinking? Good things, I hope?”

“Oh no…” He chuckles, raspily murmuring, “It’s far from good.”

“Oh yeah?” You bite your lip, butterflies soaring through your tummy. “It’s a pity you’re with people now…”

“Why?” He asks, curious.

You giggle, whispering, “Because I just got out of the shower…”

“Come again?” He asks, his voice a little squeaky.

“Well I can’t right now…” You tease.

“Oh Angel, don’t do me like that!” He whines and you laugh.

“Anyway Oppa, have a good night, okay?” You say, blowing a kiss into the speaker.

“Wait Angel!” He calls before you hang up, “Are you serious about just showering?”

“Yup!”

“So then…” He whispers, “Are you dressed yet?”

“Does a towel count?” You wonder.

He coughs, “For real?”

“Uhuh, I’m still wet…”

“You’re… wet…?” He asks, incredulous.

“Soaked!” You giggle.

“Oh my gosh, Angel!” He chuckles, “You know you’re illegal, right?”

“I know!” You chirp, “Talk tomorrow?”

“Video chat?” He asks.

“You sure about that?”

“I am… Why, you scared you won’t be able to handle seeing my gorgeousness without touching me?” He jokes.

“Pft! No…” You chuckle, “I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

“Great! Sleep well Angel.”