Chapter 16

We Are Childhood Friends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 16

 

Dabin heaves a sigh the moment she  gets out of the elevator after a meeting. She tiredly walks to the pantry to make herself a cup of coffee as she feels too tired. These days she barely sleeps due to stress. Stress with work. Stress with the wedding. She doesn't want to involve in any single thing of the marriage preparation. It's only her mom who's excited. 

 

Entering the pantry, she gives her light smile to her co worker who's sitting on the chair in the pantry while enjoying a cup of coffee. 

 

"Are you okay, Dabin ah ?" Arin asks looking at Dabin who's looking tired as she takes her mug in the cabinet. She turns around and shakes her head indicating there's nothing. 

 

"Yes, unnie.. I'm fine.." She politely says and hurriedly makes a cup of coffee before going to sit across Arin. Dabin plays with her mug while Arin looks at her in worried. She looks unwell these past few days. Her eye bags are visible. Plus, she always feels weak and tired. 

 

"Do you have problem ? You look stressed.." Arin carefully asks making Dabin lifts her head looking at her. It's so obvious that she's tired and she's stressed by just looking at her eyes. They show everything. 

 

"I'm okay unnie.. Don't worry too much.." She says and smiles lightly before taking a sip of her coffee. Putting the cup of her coffee on the table, Dabin then plays with her fingers making Arin to look at her. 

 

"It's normal when you feel stressed because of the wedding.. You want it  to be the best but take care of yourself too ok ?" The sister tells her as she caresses Dabin's hand. If only she knew the real situation; Dabin sighs. She hasn't told anyone about her arranged marriage even her colleagues and her friends. What will they think of her later on when her colleagues attending her wedding.  They have seen Yixing dropping Dabin to her office before this and they know about their relationship. 

 

"Your wedding card is so nice.." Arin says which makes Dabin to look at her with a light smile. She, herself doesn't know how the card looks alike. The wedding preparation are being prepared by her mother and Yixing's mother since they are going to hold a wedding ceremony for the two brides and the two grooms. She doesn't know how to face him during the day. Seeing the one she loves and her boyfriend or should I say ex boyfriend getting married to another woman. Oh God. 

 

Furthermore, she doesn't care to ask her mother about the preparation. Even she asks her to just choose the wedding gown as she will just wear the gown on that day. The wedding card also is being distributed by her parents. The cards for her colleagues and her friends also being sent by her parents. She already follows their wishes sacrificing her love. She rarely eats at home. Dabin always finds excuses to do overtime everyday even in the weekends. Eat ? No. Ever since she agreed to her parents' idea she always refuses to eat with her parents in one table. Other brides are happy to finally reach their goals to get married and are happy with the preparations. But not her. She looks like she loses some weight. 

 

It's been a while since she contacted Yixing. To be truth, she really misses him. When they're still a couple, they never missed to call or to text each other even with a simple 'I Love You' text. Yixing on the other hand, doesn't contact her after the incident. She feels so bad that she hurt him in that way. 

 

"Unnie.. I forgot.. I have to meet the producer to send the amended script after this.. I'll go first okay ?" Dabin says and quickly drinks her coffee. She just gives Arin an excuse so that she can avoid her further questions about her wedding. She just feels uncomfortable.  

 

"Oh. Alright.. See you later.."

 


***

 

Yixing turns off his car engine after he parks his car in front of his house.  He takes a look at his watch seeing it's already 11 p.m and he just finished his work a few minutes ago. He becomes a workaholic after his break up Dabin as it's a medicine for him to forget her. He then takes his briefcase and gets out of the car before he locks it. 

 

Arriving in front of the door of his house, Yixing unlocks it by using the password and opens the door before he gets inside his house. He heaves a soft sigh when seeing his parents are busy with his wedding preparation. Well. He sees cards on the coffee table.

 

"Xing.. Your wedding card has arrived.. Don't you want to --" Mrs. Zhang stops talking when her son just walks away leaving her with her husband downstairs. Yixing tiredly goes upstairs and opens the door of his bedroom before he switches on the light. He then puts his briefcase on the bed lying on it. Closing his eyes, he tries to stable his breath when feeling he's too tired. He has been pushing off himself these past few days. Busying himself with works to forget all the problems. 

 

He's forcing himself to be busy with his works just to forget about Dabin. The woman he loves. Not trying to lie, he still loves her. Upon hearing a knock on his door, Yixing remains silent and stays still when the door is being opened. He knows it's his mother so he pretends to sleep with his arms on his forehead. Mrs. Zhang looks hesitated but she sits on the bed beside his son. She then clears before speaking. 

 

"Son, since you haven't met your future wife, tomorrow we are going to meet her and her parents for a dinner.. Go home early, okay ?" The mother tells him but Yixing remains silent ignoring whatever his mother tells him. 

 

"Hmmm.. One more thing.. Xing.. About your wedding suit.. " 

 

Mrs. Zhang stops talking when Yixing suddenly wakes up sitting on the bed. His face looks he's annoyed by the word 'wedding'. He pinches the bridge of his nose making Mrs. Zhang to look at her only son. Ever since he told her he agreed with her and her husband's plan, Yixing refuses to talk with them. He still talks but the answers are only 'yes' or 'no'. 

 


"Ma.. Please.. I already told you I will not interfere for the wedding preparation. You do it like you want.. Just like how you want me to marry that girl.. My part is standing in front of the priest. Only." Yixing says as he pulls his necktie out frustratedly and throws it on the bed. He stands up as he goes to the vanity table to put on his watch with his mother is still eyeing him. 

 


"Yes.. I know.. Maybe.. Maybe you need a new suit.." 

 

Yixing then heaves a sigh ruffling his hair at the same time. He takes a deep breath and faces Mrs. Zhang who is sitting on her son's bed. 

 

"No need to buy.. I'll just wear whatever is in my wardrobe.. The rings too.. Just take the sample on the desk and buy the rings according to your taste, Ma.. That's all.." He says referring to his couple ring with Dabin and takes his towel as well before going inside the bathroom to wash up leaving his clueless mother. But before he enters the bathroom, he stops for a while clearing his throat. 

 

"Ma.. I don't want to meet that girl before the day.. Just tell them I'm busy and go for a business trip.."

 

 

***


 Dabin secretly opens the curtain of her bedroom and nervously looks at her opposite site. Looks like he hasn't arrived home yet since his room is dark. She has done this everyday just to check on him. She can't text him asking whether he's fine or not when she's the one who makes him suffering and disappointing him. 

 

"Is he overworked ?" Dabin muffles while keep looking at the windows trying to find his car. But she stops doing so when the light in Yixing's bedroom is switched on. Carefully, she holds the curtain and hides her body not wanting to be seen by Yixing.

 

Biting on her lips, Dabin stares the view in front of her. Believe it or not, she always does this until Yixing switches off the light of his room. She misses him and that's the only way she could see him aside from looking at his photos in her phone. 

 

She has been standing in front of her windows for about 15 to 20 minutes. When Yixing appears with his towel hanging on his neck, she knows that he has just washed up. Hiding her body, she looks at him and he looks too tired. She wonders if he already eats or not. 

 

"I missed you, Bei.." Dabin muffles still looking at him who is drying his wet hair with the towel. She quickly closes the curtains and hides her body behind it when Yixing suddenly turns his body. She doesn't know if he saw her or not. Hopefully he didn't see her just now. She heaves a sigh leaning on the wall and holds her chest as she feels her chest thumping. 


Dabin always feels this kind of feeling when seeing him. Seeing him always makes her nervous and anxious. Without her notice, se already sits on the floor while hugging her knees and without her notice too, her tears are streaming down to her cheeks. 

 

"I am sorry, Bei.."

 

***

 

Jihyun smiles sheepishly remembering what was told by her mother this morning. It's a lie if she said she's not nervous. With a happy face, she makes her way to her father's office and knocks the door. 

 

"Hello my girl.." 


Mr. Jeon greets his daughter and stands up from his seat to go to the couch located in his room. Jihyun is his third child and the youngest among the family. Her brother and her sister do not show any interest in doing business as they already working as a doctor and an artist. Looking at his daughter's face, Mr. Jeon can't help but to let out of chuckles. He notices this kind of face even after they went to office this morning. 

 

"Aeyy.. My daughter looks so happy huh ?" Mr. Jeon teases his daughter earning a shy look from her. Jihyun touches her face and whines at the same time. 

 

"Appa.. It's not happy.. It's nervous.. It's my first time to meet his family.." The girl says with a pout which Mr. Jeon finds it's cute. She's 23 years old and he still finds her cute. 


"Everything is gonna be okay.. His father already told me that his son is available tonight.." The father adds with a smile. His youngest daughter is getting married and it somehow makes him sad. He and his wife are worried she will reject at first since she's going to be arranged with a guy she doesn't know but he's relieved when Jihyun gladly accepts it. She may be a clingy girl and a spoiled girl but she listens to her parents very well. 

 

"Is it confirmed, Appa ?"Jihyun curiously asks making Mr. Jeon to nod his head. 


"Don't be too nervous.. You meet him everyday in office.." Mr. Jeon teases her again making her face red as tomato. They did meet everyday but she bets it's only her who knows about this arranged thingy. 

 

"But he doesn't know about me and about us getting married, Appa.. What if he rejects me ?" Jihyun muffles while playing with her fingers. They have arranged to meet with the two sides but until now they haven't met due to time constraints. 

 

"He won't.. He's one of Appa's favorite employees.." Mr. Jeon calms his daughter making his little girl nods to him. 


"Speaking of my future son in law, has he arrived ?" The president asks making Jihyun bites her lips. She did seeing him in his room this morning and they had discussion earlier before she goes to her father's office. 


"Yes.."


"Alright.. I believe you have work to be done, sweetie.. Also, I need to attend meeting with the board along with your future husband.."

 

"Appa!" Jihyun whines when her father keeps teasing her earning laughs from the old man. She then stands up making her way to her father before she gives him a kiss on the cheek. 


"Bye, Appa.." 

 

"See you this evening, sweetie.. Don't forget to go home early for our dinner.." Once again, Mr. Jeon reminds his daughter making Jihyun shows him an 'OK' sign. 

 


**** 

 

"It's tomorrow.." Dabin muffles looking at the calendar on the nightstand next to her bed. Tomorrow is the day where she's going to meet her future husband whom she never met nor looking at his photo. Tomorrow is the day where Yixing is going to marry the girl of his family choice. 

 

She doesn't know how to react tomorrow seeing Yixing says his vows to another girl. She just arrived home just now. Dabin went to work this morning even though her parents already told her not to work a few days before her wedding day. 

 

It's freaking 10 p.m. and she makes her parents worried over her. All her relatives are already at her home for her wedding and half of them stay at a hotel near the wedding venue. Heaving a sigh, Dabin then lies down on her need as she keeps staring at the ceiling. 

 

"Should I run away tonight ?" She muffles but at the same time she doesn't want to embarrass her parents. To be honest, she hasn't seen the preparation yet. The rings, the wedding gown you name it. Dabin then looks at her phone on the nightstand when the phone is rang indicating there's a message. 

 


Lazily, she wakes up to sit on the bed before taking her phone to check the text. It must be one of her friends congratulating for her wedding day. But as soon as she looks at the screen of her phone, she rubs off her eyes just to make sure she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter