Hakyeon

Destined Souls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~~~~~ Hakyeon could still remember the diagnosis like it was yesterday. It had been two months ago, just days after the accident. That was when, the doctor had told him this pain wouldn’t stop. His nerves were too damaged…..there was nothing that could be done to fix it. His parents had cried, Hakyeon overwhelmed from both shock and hurt.

Two months later. It had now been two months and Hakyeon was still the same. There had been no hope, but for some reason Hakyeon still prayed they were wrong. Maybe one day he would wake up, and by some sort of miracle his nerves would be fixed! The pain would have ended and Hakyeon could finally continue on as things had been.

As always though, that never happened. Hakyeon still cried from pain every night, spending everyday so high off morphine that he couldn’t think straight. His parents tried to come often, but it hurt them to see him this way. They left early every visit.

Today they were repeating the same thing. The nurses were like broken records with a button stuck.

“Hakyeon, you need to get over this. The pain will get lesser. It can become bearable if you just do your physical therapy!”

“I don’t want it lesser. I want it gone, and I want it gone now! It….it hurts.” Just saying that brought tears to Hakyeon’s eyes. He had never understood it, how powerful the word hurt was truly meant to be. Hurt is the only word that can surpass torture, and he understood that now.

“I know. I know, and I’m sorry but we can’t give you any medications until after your therapy.”

“There’s no point anyway! I can’t walk like this.”

“You will be able to. Just work with us, please. I understand how awful this must be, but just bear it for now. The therapy won’t only strengthen the nerves just enough to dull that pain your feeling, but if you don’t you may never be able to walk again.”

Hakyeon didn’t need this speech either, he had heard it before. It didn’t matter, nothing did.

“Please, do it. You will be able to live a good, normal life. You just need to stand it, and participate for right now.”

Hakyeon could see this was going absolutely nowhere. He didn’t want too, more than anything the therapy made him hurt worse. How was it supposed to make anything better? Still, he was dragged to it.

Reluctantly, Hakyeon allowed himself to be moved. For right now it was a wheelchair, just until they reached the right room.

When they reached, Hakyeon was then forced to push his body foreword. The purpose, Hakyeon honestly didn’t remember well. The accident had left him with a concussion and minor contusions, but his neck and spine had also been damaged. Something about his spine being misaligned, therefore the doctors had to realign it. That left Hakyeon unable to walk, having to endure this torture to strength it until he was ‘back to normal.’ Even with his back fixed, Hakyeon knew he would never be normal.

After therapy, the nurses brought Hakyeon back with tears running down his face. There his parents had been waiting, not happy to see how their son was brought back.

“What happened? Why is he like this? Are you okay Hakyeon?” His mother rushed forward, gripping Hakyeon’s cheeks as he sniffled and gripped his eyes closed tightly.

“It was just physical therapy ma’am. It’s often very hard on patients, since Hakyeon’s body is not currently capable of doing it. That’s what it is, pushing his body past what’s it’s capable of until it adapts.”

Hearing it, his mother said nothing else. Only moved her arms underneath Hakyeon’s body, lifting him back into his bed. He hated it, feeling so helpless. His legs were fine yet he couldn’t even do that. The entire way Hakyeon whimpered, sharp grimaces escaping his lips.

“I’m sorry, here’s the bed. Is this better my baby? I’m sorry. Nurse, go get his medicine now!” ~~~~~~~

Had things been perfect since they rescued Sanghyuk? No, but things had been going well. The group agreed to trade around which house he stayed at until they could find the right place for all of them. So far he has stayed with Hakyeon, Jaehwan (Jaehwan and Ms. Kim to be more accurate), Wonshik, and even Taekwoon. Hongbin hadn’t gotten him yet, since Sanghyuk still couldn’t understand how he needed to act in that house. He couldn’t just do whatever and spread germs everywhere, but Sanghyuk couldn’t grasp that yet so they figured it was best he stay away.

Today they were all supposed to meet and look at another house. Usually Hongbin, Taekwoon, and he did most of the looking, but this house looked a little different. It seems like they may actually end up at this one, so instead they were bringing everyone to make sure. Hakyeon was picking them all up, and then they would eat and go look.

Thankfully getting ready didn’t take long, so he was able to leave pretty fast. First stop, Taekwoon. He hadn’t needed to walk up to the apartment, since the other had already been ready.

“Hi Taekwoon-ah!” Hakyeon spoke brightly as usual when he walked up, but this time Taekwoon didn’t reply the same.

“Hhello.” Taekwoon voice was really soft, his head ducked into his shirt quite lowly.

“What’s wrong?” Hakyeon didn’t move, already having decided to wait until Taekwoon and him had a chance to talk.

“Nothing…..it’s just a-a badd day.”

“Will you be okay? There is going to be a couple other people there. It won’t be just us.”

“….” Hakyeon could tell Taekwoon wanted to say he would be. He wanted to tell him yes, but it also wasn’t part of Taekwoon’s heart to lie. Neither of them could be certain that Taekwoon could handle possibly seven people all at once, on a bad day.

“Let’s do this then. We’ll get everyone and go, but you stay with us the whole time, alright? Stay with me and I’ll protect you.”

Hakyeon watched as Taekwoon nodded his head, making himself comfortable in the passenger seat.  With that Hakyeon took off, going to pick up the others as well.

Going through the area, Hakyeon had finally gotten Wonshik and Hongbin. Now the group was sitting at Jaehwan’s house waiting for their last two friends to finish. Ms. Kim had tried her best to get them ready, but you put those two together and it’s a very active combination.

“Will you two hurry a l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter