Taekwoon

Destined Souls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~~~~~~~“There is only one thing you need to know in life sweetheart.” Taekwoon gazed up at his mother, heartbreak filling his heart. He was still so young, yet at this age he could look up at the sickly woman with an understanding and mature face. At this young age he could look up at his mother and put a strong façade in front of her, for her own sake.

“What is it Mommy?”

“You may not always end up where you thought you were going, but you will always end up where you are meant to be.” She spoke the words to her son, her voice unfaltering and steady. She was still able to express how strongly she believed those words, despite being moments away from exiting this reality.

“But, Mommy that makes no sense. How can that be true?” Taekwoon could not fathom the words his mother spoke. They seemed absurd in his eyes. Where his mother was meant to be is healthy and at home. She isn’t meant to be living out her last moments in a bed that isn’t her own, speaking words to her son that he could not yet understand. “How could the world want this?”

“I am where the world needs me to be. I am with my one and only son, whom I love unconditionally. I am the happiest that I have ever been now, with no regrets and no worries. That is how you need to live your life Taekwoonie.”

“Mommy, that’s too hard for me. It’s too hard for me not to fear what I fear.”

“Fear and worry are very different things Taekwoon. Don’t ever get them confused. Living with no worry and regrets is not living without fear, but living with fear and courage alike. You are the most courageous child I know Taekwoon. You are more than capable of living happily.” Taekwoon looked at his mother with more fear than he had ever possessed before in that moment. Taekwoon couldn’t face reality without her, yet as she began to struggle with her breath they both knew she only had minutes left.

“Mommy please don’t go. I need you. I can’t face the people without you. I need you Mommy. Please don’t go.” Taekwoon gripped his mother’s hand as if it was his life that was going to be lost at any moment now. He held his mother’s hand with a deathly grip that was strong enough to break bones.

“Taekwoon don’t feel sad or lost without me. Remember the times we had and rejoice what has happened. Remember my words and you will never be without me. Know that I love you with all my heart. Know that I have never been more proud of anyone in this life than I am of you. Please live on to experience a joyful life, my Jung Taekwoon………….”~~~~~~~

Taekwoon awoke from the dream that he had been having time and time since it had occurred. He didn’t open his eyes. He didn’t move a muscle. Instead he lay there on his bed peacefully for a few moments, sorting through his thoughts.

That dream used to bring Taekwoon to tears when he was little. Taekwoon couldn’t remember how long he had cried after his mother’s death, only that the mere mention of her name was enough to shatter him to pieces. She had been all that he had when he was little, and her death had shaken him to the core. It took Taekwoon ages to recover from that event.

Now that he was older, Taekwoon has recovered, but will never move on. He doesn’t desire to ever move on from the moments he had with her. Instead he let those moments become dreams that he holds strongly to his memory. That particular dream began as a displeasing memory of the last moment he had seen his mother, but since has become a memory of the last words she had spoken to him. That memory, and that dream had now become the factor that motivated him through. That motived him to strive for and achieve the happiness that his mother had so desperately craved for him to have.

Today he planned to take a leap that he hoped would bring him towards that happiness. Today he planned to face his fear, and explore the options for him that he believes he is meant for.

Not wishing to waste any more time on thinking, Taekwoon calmly opened his eyes and moved himself from the bed. He started with the same morning routine that he has been going through since he first moved into this apartment. The place was small and didn’t provide much room for anything more than it had, however Taekwoon did not need any more since he was the only one staying here.

Taekwoon made his morning coffee to his taste, being sure to leave the pot under the machine so he could return to grab another cup before it got cold. He turned the television onto the morning news and listened to it as he grabbed the flyer that lay on his nightstand.

The flyer was one he had picked from a multitude he had seen going to the laundromat about a week prior. It was a flyer for a summer festival that was moving to town, and it had written on it they would have a stage. It said any who wishes could apply with only a form and small recording of their performance. They would review the recordings and whoever was accepted into the limited number of spots would get to perform during the free portion of the festival later that night.

Taekwoon had always loved to sing since he was little, and he had found since that the few times he never felt nervous or fearful of anything is while he was singing. Taekwoon knew if he could make a career from this, he would have achieved the happiness that his mother wanted him to have. He didn’t wish to be an idol or anything large like that, only a small time club singer would suffice.

Taekwoon looked through his closet carefully, wanting to find the perfect outfit for the event. He wanted somethi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter