Chapter 9

The Forlorn Promise

 

 

   Eunhee and Byunghun sat under the cloudless night, admiring the stars that emanated white, twinkling lights against the darkness. Thousands of them filled the dark sky. In a moment, Byunghun heard Eunhee’s breathing fall into a steady rhythm. She had fallen asleep beside him. Byunghun realized the sudden entity of it all. He had made an oath with this girl under the clear night sky.

   The stars were the witness of their promise that she would never leave him, and never would he forget her. He made another swear upon the stars that the promise would not be broken. Not now, not ever. Byunghun leaned his head on Eunhee’s shoulder and let himself fall to the rhythm of her breathing.

   Hushed whispers, footfalls and creaks of branches around them shattered the peaceful silence. Byunghun’s attention perked up and he examined the shadows amongst the trees. There, something shifted. Byunghun’s heart raced and sweat began forming between his brows. A thousand wild thoughts flooded his head but he pushed it away relentlessly. He would not succumb to fear.

   He sat up, stoic and silent, listening attentively to the muffled whispers behind the trees. A light appeared, small but steady, it illuminated the area. Byunghun realized that it was not just one of them; it was a group of at least five or six. And they were human. Byunghun heaved a sigh of relief and leaned on the stone. 

   On further examination, the people were not just any people, they were his classmates. A search party had been dispatched without their knowledge.

   The relief did not last long and soon he sat up again. He shook Eunhee lightly.

   “Eunhee, wake up,” he murmured. Her eyes fluttered open and she gave him a weak smile but then soon became aware of her surroundings.

   “Eunhee! Byunghun!” she heard people shout their names and then her heart started thudding quickly. The voice sounded like it came from Mrs. Kahi and Chunji as well as Bora. She gripped Byunghun’s hands almost too tight, causing a few nail marks on his palm. He winced in pain. They started running until they bumped into someone. He looked down and saw the familiar pair of oxford shoes. ‘Shoot’, Byunghun thought.

   “Where do you two think you’re going?” Both of them gazed into Mrs. Kahi’s glaring eyes and giggled awkwardly. She dragged both of them into a corner and told the rest of the students to return to their campsite while she settled things with Eunhee and Byunghun. Students grumbled in annoyance.

   “Thanks for making us search for you guys at two in the morning,” Zico spat at them. After they all were gone, Mrs. Kahi crossed her arms over her chest and bombarded them with questions.

   “Look, it’s late and I don’t want to nag at you two. You’re all grown-ups, act like one. Running away from the campsite just to spend some time alone? That’s ridiculous. I’m sorry but you’ll have to leave Seoul Grand Park now and return to school and you’ll have detention first thing tomorrow morning.” Eunhee’s shoulders slumped.

   “Don’t give me that pathetic look on your face, Byunghun,” she added. The three of them made their way to their specific tents and packed their backpacks. Eunhee dumped everything to her backpack and in a minute she was done. Her eyes were blurry and her mind was still rich with sleep. She squinted in the dimness of the tent and made her way out into equal darkness. The glowing embers in the centre of campsite marked that a colossal flame once leaped here. Out of boredom, she poked the embers with a long stick.

   “Eunhee.” The voice, firm and stern, flooded her ears. Mrs. Kahi. Eunhee turned and faced the teacher. “The van’s arrived.”

   She swung her backpack over her shoulder and strutted towards the van. Byunghun was already in there, his eyes barely open. She approached him and together, they visited dreamland.

 

   It was already 3.25 AM and they finally arrived school. TOP High looked haunting and dark as the trees’ shadow loomed over the school fields. The moon stood high and mighty in the sky and it glowed palely, lighting up some areas of the school.

   “Have… fun,” the driver said and within seconds, his van disappeared. Hand in hand, they unlocked the school gate and entered the school. There was this eerie feel that Eunhee couldn’t describe but she managed to get over it and tell herself it was all her imagination. Using a small torchlight Byunghun brought for the camp, they roamed the school halls until they came across their classroom, Room 666. Eunhee dumped her backpack on the teachers’ table and tossed her pillows. One of them landed on Byunghun’s face and she chuckled. She spread her blanket on the table and patted her pillows to make them firm and comfortable.

   “Byung-“she didn’t finish her sentence because he was already fast asleep.
He lied on the table, on arm dangling over the edge and the other covering his eyes.

“This guy…” she muttered under her breath. She busied herself, searching Byunghun’s bag to find a blanket: if he was even sensible to bring one. It turned out that he was sensible after all. There was a blanket neatly folded away in one compartment of the bag. She took it out and draped it over him carelessly as exhaustion wore her hands. She propped some of her extra pillows right beside the table to cushion his fall. There was a definite 90% chance that he would fall. She lightly pushed him just to be extra safe.

“Goodnight jagiya,” she yawned before closing her eyes and falling into a deep sleep.

 

Byunghun looked at his watch. It was a little too early but he woke up anyway. He ed his shirt before changing into a yellow and old top before starting detention. He received a text from Mrs. Kahi saying they had to clean every spot of the school and that the janitors were on leave. He stared at Eunhee’s face and her cheeks. She flinched.

“Oh, mianhae,” he said awkwardly. She smirked and imitated his cocky line, “Were you fantasizing over my gorgeous features?” she joked. He rolled his eyes.

“Good morning,” she greeted while stretching her arms. He greeted her a good morning too. She motioned him to turn around and face the door as she was going to change into a different outfit.

“What if I won’t?” he wiggled his eyebrows. She frowned.

“Then you’re a much worst ert than Zico.” He quickly faced the door and closed his eyes, just in case.

“I’m done!” He turned to look at Eunhee. She was wearing a pale pink t-shirt which showed off her curves and although her hair wasn’t combed back neatly like it always did, she still looked stunning to him. She caught him gaping at her and felt her cheeks redden.

“Yah, why are you looking at me like that?” she said, breaking the silence. Byunghun snapped back into reality and grinned.

   “Nothing,” he answered.

   “So, what do we have to do today?”

“Mrs. Kahi told us to clean every part of the school.”

“But the school’s HUGE,” Eunhee said, her spirits drained.

Byunghun smirked. “We don’t have to do everything.” They exchanged mischievous looks before starting their detention. 

 

[A/N: Hi guys........................................................... tried to write something a ltitle longer because lately the updates aren't that long. Thanks to the people who have subscribed and commented.. :') Sorry if it's not really worth the wait but both of us can only go online during the weekends.. T_T We have lots of tests coming up too so we hope you guys will continue supporting us by commenting/subscribing! ^_~ Enjoy! Again, mianhae for the not really long chapter]