Chapter 21

The Forlorn Promise

 

Eunhee stiffened. It was so silent; she could hear Myungsoo’s shallow breathing along with her own. His words repeated in her head over and over again. Eunhee closed her eyes and tried to shun his voice out of her mind. But it kept coming back, cooing at her. I still love you. Was it true?

“Eunhee-“He began but she stopped him from talking.

“You’re lying aren’t you?” she questioned, nearing him, her eyes glaring right back at his.

“No! Why would I?” he asked back, shaking his head frantically.

She jabbed her finger at his chest. Myungsoo winced.

“Because you told me you loved me. But what did you do? You left me, Kim Myungsoo. You left me in despair,” Eunhee said, her voice getting louder with every word.

“But I had to,” he said, his voice a little shaky. He had never seen Eunhee raging with anger. He had never seen her look so disappointed and crushed.

“What do you mean you had to, you idiot? I nearly committed suicide because of you!” Eunhee screamed. Her head throbbed because of all the fury in her. This time, Myungsoo kept quiet. He felt so guilty. He almost ended someone’s life…

“Look, I’m sorry. Can I just tell you the reason why I broke up with you?” Eunhee looked up at him boldly. This guy thought that a simple sorry could solve everything. It was much more than that. What could sorry do? Could it change anything that had happened?

“No.” With that she stormed away.

 

Myungsoo slumped on the bench and sighed in defeat. He looked at Eunhee’s figure as she rushed down the path. When she swiveled out of sight, he buried his head in his palms. Eunhee closed the front door with a click. Her initial intention to search for tranquility by going for a walk had turned out to aggravate the situation. She sunk into the sofa weakly.

“Eunhee, where did you go?”

Eunhee jolted. She looked up to see Sora’s mother standing in front of her with a glass of water in her hand. She must have woken up to drink.

“Just for a walk in the park… you know, to release stress.”

Her aunt nodded. “Are you okay, now?”

“Yeah.”

It was so obvious that Eunhee was lying. But Sora’s mom did not say anything though. Maybe she needed some silence for her to ponder about things. Instead, she just took a seat beside Eunhee.

“Aunt?” Eunhee spoke after some time.

“Hmm?”

“If a person did something bad to you and then he said sorry, will you forgive him?”

“Hmmm… yes I would. Why?”

“But, if he really did something bad… like killed your dog or something, will you still forgive him?”

Her aunt chuckled. She never had a dog. But she knew what Eunhee meant. She turned to Eunhee.

“You know, things aren’t always what they seem. Maybe you should ask him for an explanation first. Maybe he killed my dog to save my daughter or something. Okay, maybe that is the stupidest example ever but, you get my point.”

Eunhee nodded. Myungsoo did ask her if he could explain. But Eunhee was not still satisfied.

“But why forgive him? It is not like ‘sorry’ can ever change whatever that had happened.”

“Nothing can change the past. So why bother about it. Maybe ‘sorry’ can never change what had happened. But it can change what is going to happen. You can make friends with him instead of enemies. Why make enemies in the first place? Life is too short for that.”

Eunhee nodded again. That made sense. Her aunt got up, patting her thigh.

“Well, I’m going to sleep now. You should get some rest too. You have school tomorrow right?”

Eunhee rose as well and walked towards her bedroom. Before going in, she turned to her aunt.

“Aunt?”

“Yes?”

“Thanks.”

Her Aunt smiled and shooed her into her room.

 

Eunhee lay on her bed, thinking about what her aunt had said. She immediately felt remorseful. She looked at her bedside table and snatched her handphone. She took a deep breath before punching Myungsoo’s phone number.

Myungsoo’s phone bleated and he reached for it on his pillow. ‘Eunhee’ said the screen. He felt a tinge of hope and his fingers slide on the ‘answer’ button.

“Hey?” Myungsoo replied. He scooted nearer towards the window sill and saw Eunhee on the other side.

Eunhee was glad he hadn’t changed his number. It had been quite some time but it was still the same. She was also relieved that she didn’t have to bother searching for his number at the phonebook.

“Um, hi, this is Myungsoo right?” Eunhee said awkwardly. She stood up and walked to look at the view outside. To her surprise, she caught Myungsoo looking back at her. Myungsoo’s eyes were twinkling. Oh how she had missed those puppy-dog eyes.

"You didn't change your number..." Eunhee said, quite in disbelief.

"Yeah..."

“Look, I’m sorry about just now,” she started, pacing back and forth. She heard him chuckle and she stopped.

“Hey, why are you laughing?” she pouted. She saw him shrug.

“Because you looked cute,” he said quickly. Her skin prickled. Did he just compliment her? She cleared .

“Thanks…? Anyway, yeah I’m sorry. You can tell what you wanted to just now,” she changed the topic. Clearly the atmosphere was a little too intense. Myungsoo chuckled again.

“Hey, it’s 2 in the morning. No one talks at 2 in the morning. Unless they’re couples,” Myungsoo stated. Embarrassment rippled through her. She felt her cheeks heat up.

“Well this is different,” she protested. Myungsoo yawned.

“Eunhee, I’m sleepy. Let’s talk about this tomorrow, yeah? This was nice. I mean this whole conversation. And it’s adorable that you’re still wearing the same pajamas. Pink and white look good on you,” he said huskily.

Eunhee rolled her eyes and looked at the man gazing back at her. Myungsoo winked and closed the curtains.

“Good night, Eunhee,” and then he ended the call. Eunhee found herself frowning. What was that wink supposed to mean?

On the other hand, Myungsoo was smiling to himself. He felt weird and he felt girly too but heck, he conversed with his love after a long time. He jumped up and down and clapped his hands until he spun his head to see an angry Sungyeol.

“Shut up Myungsoo and go back to sleep,” Sungyeol growled. He threw a bolster at his friend and Myungsoo just wiggled his eyebrows.

“Sweeeeeeeeeet dreams Eunhee!”