Chapter 4

The Forlorn Promise

 

            “Byunghun, can I ask you something?” Eunhee said abruptly. Byunghun tilted his head.

            “Sure.”

            “Why do you like waffles so much?”

            Byunghun was startled at her sudden question. Eunhee could tell he was feeling uncomfortable but she really, badly even, wanted to know. Byunghun looked at the girl. He was afraid. He was afraid that if he told her, that he might claw out all the feelings that he had tried so hard to bury these past years. Finally, he took a deep breath and exhaled sharply.

            “Promise me you won’t tell anyone?”

            “I promise.” She linked her pinky finger into his’ and then he started telling her about his miserable past.

            It turned out Byunghun had an older sister. Her name was Seoyeon and she died five years ago because of suicide. His sister was his other half. Their parents had died when they were young because of a car accident and were left at an orphanage. They stayed there for six years until Seoyeon had a job and could rent an apartment for them. They pretty much were inseparable even though their age difference was pretty far.

            When Seoyeon turned twenty-one, she found out her fiancé cheated on her with an older and richer woman. She was heartbroken, obviously. She didn’t even bid her last goodbye to her brother because she knew Byunghun would protest and stop her. She didn’t want to trouble him either. But thankfully, Byunghun’s close friend was hanging out near the area Seoyeon attempted suicide and quickly phoned him.

         He rushed to the streets but it was already too late.

            The uneasy feeling continued to bug him as he walked. He froze. His breath stopped the moment he saw people forming a crowd. A thousand thoughts surged into his mind and he knew something was off. Using his bare hands, he made his way through the crowd, receiving bitter complaints from the people as his body sifted through the crowd.

         Time stopped.  He was immobilized with sheer terror. He knees felt shaky and he fell to the ground as the thick, crimson blood consumed his vision. He gawked at his sister crushed skull and knew she was gone. Everything seemed so surreal.

         He wanted to pounce on her lifeless body and bring her back. But the state of her body terrified him. He was too shocked to even cry. So he sat there and watched the scene that was going to taunt him throughout his whole life. Running his fingers through her hair for the last time, he put his head on her chest and hugged her tightly.

         “Noona…” he muttered softly. He couldn’t believe his whole life was gone just like the wind. The ambulance soon arrived and he had to let her go. Minutes later, he was brought to the hospital by the police. Her corpse was soon put into a morgue and Byunghun cried. He cried even more than when his parents died. He now had nobody left in his life.

         Byunghun left the hospital, his eyes red from all the crying, and his face pale as ever. He was like the walking dead. He looked almost lifeless. Suddenly, his phone rang. (A/N: I know he was too young to have a handphone XD)

         “Annyeonghaseyo,” he answered. It was a call from his Uncle Andy Lee. He hadn’t heard from him ever since his parents’ death. It was a little shocking for Byunghun to receive a call from an ever so famous CEO.

         “Byunghun, it’s your Uncle Andy,” the person on the other line greeted.

         “Yes?”

         “I called you because I heard about your sister’s death. I’m awfully sorry to hear that.”

         “It’s okay. It isn’t your fault anyway.”

         “Look, I know you don’t have a place to stay since your sister had passed away. I suggest you stay with me. It’s the least I can do for you.” Byunghun could hear the sincerity in his voice.

         “Sure.”

         “Great. My chauffeur will fetch you soon. Which hospital are you at again?”

         “Seoul National University Hospital. Wait uncle. Can I go to my apartment first? I want to pack my clothes and stuffs.”

         “Okay. I’ll see you soon, Byunghun.”

         And with that, the call ended. He found an empty seat near him and sat down, thoughts swirling in his mind. He had to live a new life, without his sister. He had to admit, he was a little excited because he’ll be living a luxurious life soon. But he wanted it to be with Seoyeon.

         “You’re Byunghun, aren’t you?” A figure stood in front of him. Byunghun saw a man wearing a black suit. He looked a little scary but then the man smiled. “I’m Choi Seunghyun, your uncle’s chauffeur.”

         Byunghun nodded his head and then followed him. He got into the sleek and black car and made himself comfortable. There was a mini television on the back of the driver’s seat. Wow, this is so awesome, he thought. Byunghun directed the way to the chauffeur and soon they arrived at his apartment. Seunghyun was about to exit the car but Byunghun stopped him.

         “It’s okay. I can carry the stuffs myself. I’ll be here in ten minutes,” he said, his voice serious. He took the lift and within seconds, he reached the fourth floor. He unlocked the door and went inside. The apartment was so quiet, it gave Byunghun the chills. And then something caught his eye. It was a photo of him and Seoyeon, happily eating waffles. A tear ran down his cheek.

         “Come on Byunghun, be a man,” he told himself. Still, the tears started falling down and he shivered. He left the living room and went into his bedroom, taking quick glances at Seoyeon’s bedroom, hoping a figure would appear and all that happened earlier was just a bad dream. Nothing happened. He snatched his backpack and stored his clothes and tucked the picture into his pocket. He heaved a long sigh before leaving the apartment forever.

         He ran downstairs and banged the car door. Choi Seunghyun was shocked at his action but still turned the engine on anyway without asking Byunghun why he was behaving like that. For a ten year old, he was pretty cold.The car halted and Byunghun closed his eyes. He was going to start a new life. When the chauffeur opened the door, he was greeted by the sight of the big mansion. The white walls were glaring and it looked more like an asylum to him. True, it was intimidating and he wondered if he would ever get lost in there.

         “Welcome to your new home,” Seunghyun declared, patting his head.

         Eunhee looked intensely at Byunghun. So he had a sad life before, and the fact that his sister had jumped off a building just like Eunhee’s attempt seemed like déjà vu for him, except he got to stop her from jumping. 

 

“Eunhee-ah… I’m glad I got to stop you from committing suicide,” he said truthfully. She smiled at him. “…because I don’t want to lose someone like you.”

 

 

Author's Note: HOW WAS IT? >:) [Oh and k guys I modified the age of the people. They're fifteen now.]