Chapter 27

The Forlorn Promise

"Stop avoiding me." Eunhee said through clenched teeth. She eyed Byunghun who was playing with a stray thread on the hem of his shirt. His gaze travelled around the room, glancing at everything but her.
"I'm not avoiding you." He leaned back and crossed his arms. Then, he looked up at her with nonchalant eyes. "What makes you think so?"
Something flashed beneath his eyes - either guilt, or desire. Eunhee saw right through his facade. She knew that he longed to open his mouth to tell her something. But he persevered with this senseless pretense. Eunhee balled her fists, trying to compress the rage that was boiling within her. Her nails dug into her skin and she winced at the pain. 'Calm down, Eunhee, you're not going to solve this if you're not calm'. She heaved a long breath.
"Then why are you like this? Why are you acting like you don't know me? Like you don't care when all I'm trying to do is to clear whatever misunderstanding we had?" Byunghun straightened like the words had struck him. That was true... why was he trying to avoid her? But then, she had left and only came back after he was successful. She was not there when he was going through all those hardships. How can he be so sure that she was sincere?
"Because that is true. I don't care." He choked the words out. His throat felt dry. He knew his calm appearance was faltering. And despite his efforts to convince himself, he knew that he did care. He still wanted Eunhee to be a part of his life.
"Until when are you keeping his up?" She could read him like an open book. He knew that he had to get away before everthing reveals itself. He stood up abruptly and eyed the back exit. Then, he left without saying another word.
"Yah! Byunghun!" She called out after his back. But he had disappeared before she could catch up with him. Eunhee groaned and raked her hair. She stormed towards the main exit.
'That jerk,' she thought. He had continued with his stupid act even when he knew that she could read him. Why was he avoiding her? He had no reason to-
"Ouch..." A groan escaped as her body slammed against a man. She looked up.

And looked straight into Myungsoo's eyes. Eunhee stopped. Her breath left her. Had he been eavesdropping? He broke their five second eye contact and shook his head.
"You still love him." He said, more to himself than to her.
"Myung-"
"I should have known."
"No, I can-" But what did she have to explain? What should she say? That she did not have any feelings for him? But did she? Myungsoo nodded.
"Okay." And he left.
Eunhee didn't bother to chase him as he disappeared into the throng of people. She slumped against the wall and sighed. Sora greeted her when she came back. She asked how her day was and was Myungsoo handsome as always. Eunhee just replied with a weak, dry smile and carried herself up to her room.
She pulled back the curtains and unfastened the windows. It was already dark. She propped her chin on the window sill and let the warm ight air carry her thoughts away. She fished out her phone and scrolled through her contacts aimlessly. Her fingers stopped at Byunghun's name. A thought flashed across her mind. As much as she wanted to push it away, it refused to leave her.
She clicked on the green phone button before she could change her mind. She was so sure that he must have changed his number but part of her still hoped that he did not. But there was no ring at all and a female voice flowed into her ears, saying that the number was not in use. She tried calling his number again, as if the second try would make any difference. But the same voice greeted her.
Her phone beeped, notifying that she received a message.
"He changed his number. From Myungsoo."
How did he...? She looked up. Myungsoo was standing on the other side, waving his phone. Then, her phone beeped again. "Can we meet in the park? Now."