Chapter 5

The Forlorn Promise

 

Eunhee traced her steps towards school. The thoughts of Byunghun’s words the previous day coiled around her mind.

“Because I don’t want to lose someone like you.”

What was that supposed to mean? She admitted that she and Byunghun were really close these days and she was starting to feel some sort of inclination towards him. But was it not just her? Was he feeling the same way too?

No, that was impossible. Why would he?

“Hey Eunhee!” A shout diverted her back to the real world.

Byunghun was waving at her some distance away and she realized that she was already nearing her school. She flashed her usual grin and ran towards him.

“I got you some waffles.”

She had been eating countless of waffles these days and she found herself attracted to the rich scent. Byunghun handed her the white paper bag and she peeked inside.

“It’s chocolate!”

“You had always ordered chocolate so I figured that you like it.”

Eunhee nodded and snared a bite from the piece. “I love chocolate.” Byunghun gazed at her for a while, staring at her slowly chewing the waffle. She gulped.

“What? Is there anything on my face?” she asked, scrunching her nose up. He thought she looked adorable doing that.

“No so you don’t have to worry,” he answered. Eunhee gave him a smile and then finished the waffles. She draped her arm over his shoulders, causing Byunghun’s heart to thud really quickly.

“Byunghun, class’s going to start soon. Come on,” she said gleefully. She is such a happy-go-lucky girl, he thought. The group of clingy girls saw them together and they didn’t look pleased at all.

“What is Eunhee doing with Byunghun? Why is her arm over his shoulders? And she called us clingy,” one of the girls named Soonkyu, scoffed.

“Um… this is awkward.” Eunhee whispered to Byunghun. She was not used to the sudden attention she attained and now, just because she went to school with this guy, all eyes laid upon her. Eunhee shifted uncomfortably.

“It’s okay.” Byunghun replied to her ear and pulled her closer. The girls gasped at Byunghun’s actions. Both of them looked so close. Almost like they were… in love.

“Come on, people. It’s obvious that they like each other so don’t ruin it. And besides, they look cute together.” Someone named Jiyeon announced. She had a point. The rest of the people were nodding in agreement.

-------

The bell rang. It meant school has officially ended. Students scurried out from their classrooms. Eunhee scooped the books and clutched them close to her chest, then left. She bumped into Byunghun who was whistling.

“How long have you been waiting for me?” Eunhee felt like she was troubling him.

“Five minutes.” She heaved a huge sigh of relief. At least he hadn’t waited for more than half an hour. That would be really troublesome. As soon as they reached the gate, Eunhee and Byunghun said their farewells before parting ways. Eunhee took the normal route home and within half an hour, she was in front of the familiar door. She greeted her mum then went into her room, and then she threw her bag on her comfy bed.

Soon, her phone vibrated. It was a text from Byunghun.

From: Byunghun

“Hey, can I come over? I’m really bored at home.”

To: Byunghun

“Sure, see you soon.”

She exited her phone inbox and trotted downstairs. Her mum had on a floral shirt and beige pants. Eunhee figured she was going to be home alone.

“Eunhee, I’m going to Aunt Tia’s house. See you tonight,” and with that, she headed out.

A few minutes after her mother’s departure, the bell rang. Eunhee ran to the door and turned the knob. Her mother must have forgotten something and came back to take it. She swung the door open and smiled.

“Omma what did you—“

It was not her mother. Standing in front of her was none other than Byunghun. . This is so embarrassing.

“Um... Hi,” she greeted awkwardly.

“Hey, my most gorgeous daughter, your ‘omma’ is home,” Byunghun mocked.

“Don’t mock me!” she retorted. Byunghun shrugged and thoughtlessly walked in and plopped on the sofa.

“This guy has no respect at all,” Eunhee muttered under her breath as she joined him on the sofa. Byunghun changed the channels on the television and nothing interesting was on. He huffed in frustration. Suddenly, his eyes widened and he jumped.

“Let’s cook something,” he suggested. Eunhee rolled her eyes. Then she snickered.

“Do you know how to cook?” she asked him, expecting a ‘no’. Surprisingly, he nodded his head. He dragged her to the kitchen and scanned the cupboards for ingredients. They settled on making pasta. He grasped a bottle of tomato paste and examined it.

“What do I do with it?” Eunhee burst into a fit of giggles.

“I thought you know how to cook,” she nudged him playfully. He gave her a sheepish smile and the stove and placed a pan. He added different spices and sauces and mixed them together. Eunhee thought he looked like a pro, for a man. Then he sprinkled some coriander and black pepper to the mixture.

Eunhee, in the mean time, boiled the spaghetti. It let out a nice smell and she could tell it’ll turn out great. She supposed the spaghetti was already cooked so she separated the spaghetti from the water and placed it in one big bowl. She motioned Byunghun to come over. He winked at her then poured the gravy on the pasta.

The hot steam brought the nice scent into their nostrils and Eunhee realized how hungry she was. She took two pairs of spoon and fork from a drawer while Byunghun carried the bowl of pasta into the dining area. She handed the utensils to Byunghun and sat down opposite him. There was only one bowl and both of them were lazy to separate the thing so they had to share. Eunhee coiled the spaghetti around her fork and inserted the food into .

The mismatch of flavors burned . It was horribly spicy and tasted like poison. The spaghetti was too stiff and was as hard as a rock. The both of them started coughing and they ran to the sink to empty the contents out of their mouth.

“Yah! What the hell did you put in there?!” Eunhee shouted after wiping .

Your spaghetti is too hard!”

Eunhee crossed her arms and huffed and Byunghun took a glass of water and gulped it down. The pasta is going into the bin for sure. Eunhee took the bowl and dumped the pasta into the rubbish bin.

“I’m hungry…” Byunghun whined, rubbing his stomach. Eunhee took a packet of biscuit and it into his hands.

“Eat as many as you like,” she said and strode out of the kitchen. Eunhee landed herself on the sofa and browsed the channels once more. Next thing she knew, Byunghun was just beside her, munching the biscuits she gave him.

“Take one.”

Byunghun handed her one of the biscuits and she nibbled it carefully.

“Let’s play something,” Byunghun suggested.

“Play what?”

“I don’t know.. a board game?”

“But I don’t have any board games. I only have Twister.” Eunhee declared. Her family was not the type that plays board games.

“Then, let’s play Twister,” he murmured at her ear. His breath sent chills down her spine and she shivered. She left the living room and headed to her bedroom. She saw the box and brought it downstairs. She saw Byunghun toying with her mother’s bouquet of flowers and smiled at his actions. It was unbelievably cute. She mentally slapped herself. Eunhee, why do you keep on behaving like this towards him?

He opened the box and started pulling the mat and spinner out. The spinner was automatic [A/N: let’s just imagine it is xD] and the robotic voice said, “First player, left hand on green circle.”

Eunhee placed her hand as told, and Byunghun placed his right foot on the red circle.

“First player, left foot on blue circle,” it said again. They played a few more rounds until suddenly, Byunghun accidentally twisted his ankle and he landed on top of Eunhee. His face was inches away from Eunhee but he didn’t even move. Instead, he looked at Eunhee and studied her features. She had gorgeous eyes and lips that seemed so smooth and…

“Byunghun!” she squealed, and pushed him away.


It was already dark when Byunghun decided that he had to leave. Eunhee scowled at him. The truth was that she had never wanted him to go. This day had been a fun one and she knew that she was going to miss him. Eunhee dragged herself to the door to send Byunghun out.

Byunghun stepped out into the night and faced Eunhee.

“Bye…” she said solemnly.

Byunghun managed a thin smile. He did not want to leave. He looked at Eunhee looking at her own feet. He looked at her soft wavy hair which swayed gently in the wind. There was no doubt that he was going to long for her easy smiles and playfulness. And he had to admit that he had fallen in love with this girl.

“Eunhee…” He called out softly.

She looked up. “Hm?”

Byunghun hesitated. Should he or should he not?

“What is it?” Eunhee pressed on.

Byunghun took a deep breath and braced himself to tell her. Then, with the gentlest tone that he could express, he said, “I love you.”

 

 

Author's Note: HIIYAA GUYSS! Sorry for the late update.. school reopened a few days ago TT_TT We'll update every weekend though starting from today onwards. Really sorry if it takes so much time :(( We hope our lovely subscribers will continue to support us~ and how's the cliffhanger? ;p