Chapter 28

The Forlorn Promise

 

 

Eunhee took her woolly cardigan and wrapped it around her shoulders. Huffing, she went downstairs, making sure she wasn’t making any sounds, and swiftly closed the door. Someone covered from behind and she let out a muffled scream. She slapped the man’s hand only hearing a familiar voice afterwards.

“Ow, Eunhee!” Eunhee gasped. It was Myungsoo.

“Oh my god, I am so sorry! I thought you were a burglar and I honestly freaked out and-“She started babbling. Myungsoo just closed his ears and mumbled “la-la-la” while waiting for her to finish elaborating. Finally, she stopped.

“Were you even listening, Kim Myungsoo?” she raised her eyebrow. Myungsoo nodded, while displaying an innocent look with a playful glint in his eyes. Eunhee sighed.

“Okay, let’s go.”

“Go where?”

“You don’t expect us to talk here right?”

“Oh,” Myungsoo nodded and they both started walking. Silence started to creep between them as they entered the lift. Eunhee could sense Myungsoo’s heavy presence beside her and her curiosity intensified.

Myungsoo let out a long breath.

“I’m sorry for eavesdropping just now,” he said just as the lift doors opened.

“It’s ok.” Eunhee knew that was not the reason why he had called her. Both of them stayed at their spot and the lift doors closed. No one said another word. Myungsoo pressed the button and the doors opened again. Eunhee walked out and Myungsoo followed. His behavior today was perplexing. She noticed the reluctance in his steps and his listless movements. The only time she had ever seen him like this was years ago; a few days before their break up.

“What’s up?” she asked, breaking the quiescence.  She tried to lighten the mood but it was a lost cause. Myungsoo looked to the floor.

“Do you like L.Joe?” He said it quickly as if he could avoid the awkwardness this was. But his question did not fail to catch her by surprise. Cold air brushed against them and Eunhee shuddered.

How was she supposed to explain this? How was she supposed to describe the feeling that refused to fade away even after all these years? How was she so sure that he was going to accept it? Eunhee let her gaze fall and the silence continued to travel between them. Myungsoo was waiting. She knew; he was waiting for her answer.

“Yeah…?” she replied while playing with the hem of her dress. She did not know how he was going to react. She just hoped that he was not going to leave her and treat her like a stranger after this. He meant a lot to her and taught her many things when they were together. She had always felt protected when being with Myungsoo. But the feeling was different when she was with Byunghun. Something was missing when she was with Myungsoo. But still, she wanted Myungsoo to continue being her supportive friend that he was. Was that too much to ask for?

Eunhee was scared too look up at Myungsoo. She was scared to what might happen in the future. She was scared that she might be the reason of Myungsoo’s hurt. Slowly, she raised her head.

Myungsoo was smiling. Not at her, but at something distant. Something beyond the dark horizon, something further than the universe. It was as if he knew all along.

“I know.” He confirmed it. Eunhee was shocked. What did he mean by that?

“What… how…?” she found herself stuttering.

“I saw how you looked at him the other day. You were studying his every move when he performed, and I saw you flinch when he rapped. Seemed like you two had some sort of history back then when I was away, huh?” Eunhee was dumbfounded. How did he figure that all out?

“Then I saw you two talking backstage and I was surprised. You looked like you were in a deep conversation. I didn’t want to interrupt but I felt uneasy,” he admitted. Eunhee bit her lip.

“Then when I heard Byunghun lying, that’s when everything clicked. I had to agree, his reasons were stupid and unbelievable. So I made my own conclusion: you two still love each other, and that I lost in this love triangle.” Hearing that made Eunhee’s heart ache, and she felt completely guilty.

“I’m… really, really, sorry.” She couldn’t say anything at all except that. She felt wronged. She felt like she had stopped Myungsoo from loving someone else because she was THERE. She felt like she had used him just so she could find a way to tell the truth to Byunghun, which she had, in a way. Myungsoo just stood there, unsure of what he should respond. Then, he shook his head. “I cannot stop two people from loving each other right?” A slow smile crept onto Eunhee’s lips. “Now, I’m going to give you his number. Make sure you talk to him. If you don’t, then I’ll make you guys talk.” Eunhee was nearly crying at this man’s kindness. Myungsoo gave Eunhee the number and made sure that she saved it. 

"Now, let’s get you home. It’s getting late.”

Myungsoo turned and started walking. Eunhee ran towards him. She crashed into his back and tightened her hands around Myungsoo. He was like a brother she never had.

“Thank you.” She breathed.

Myungsoo patted her head and smiled.