Chapter 10

The Forlorn Promise

 

Byunghun and Eunhee took the mop and pail in the janitor's room and he led her to the men's restroom to fill the pail with water. 

"Byunghun, you know perfectly well that i'm a female and females don't go to males' restroom," she opined. 

"Well Eunhee.." he grabbed her hand and smiled. "There's no one in this school so it doesn't matter." He pushed the toilet door open and Eunhee pinched her nose.

"This reeks," she commented. Her boyfriend rolled his eyes as he turned the tap water on. Within ten seconds, the pail was three-quarter filled and he turned the tap water off. He instructed her to carry the mop as he lifted the bucket and gripped on it tightly. 

"Let's start with the first floor," Eunhee alleged and he nodded.

They both started mopping the hallways with Byunghun mopping the right area and Eunhee mopping the other area. She perspired and let out a tired sigh. 

"Aigoo, this is so tiring." She paced the floor, tracing her toes in a waltz trying to entertain herself. 

 

Byunghun wiped the sweat that pooled on his forehead. Exhaustion screamed through his veins and his arms were throbbing with pain. This was record-breaking. He had never done labourous works for two hours straight. Byunghun looked over to where Eunhee stood. Her shoulders sagged, her usual quickness and enthusiasm left her. Byunghun walked over and gently untwine her fingers from the handle of the mop. She looked up, startled by his actions. Then, he flashed her an elusive smile.

"Come on, it's time for the fun."

They both walked over to the school canteen and neared the stalls. Byunghun asked her for a hairpin to pick the locks and within five minutes, it was opened. 

"I spent my entire childhood picking locks," he smirked. They went in and was taken aback by the amount of food that stood in front of them. Sandwiches, snacks, pieces of cakes and tarts... you name it. While Eunhee was busy scooping some delicious foods, Byunghun went to look for water bottles and found dozens of them but he snatched only four to satisfy their thirst. Eunhee felt bad about stealing so being the good boyfriend he was, Byunghun fished his wallet out from his pocket and left some money on the counter.

Both entered the computer lab and the air-conditioner. The cool air soothed them and they felt extremely relaxed. Eunhee sat down on the floor and Byunghun lifted the laptop cover and switched it on. She was curious at what he was doing because he looked so focused as he furiously typed on the keyboard. Then, she shrugged, leaving him alone and munched on the sweets she had brought earlier.

 

Eunhee tore off another sweet wrapper and embedded ruby candy into her tongue. the saccharine flavor swept and seeped into her tongue. After what felt like an eternity, Byunghun got off that chair, pulled the screen down and the projector. He took a seat beside her, clutching on the remote control. With his free hand, he took one of the sweets and propped it in his mouth.

"What are you doing?" she catechized. 

"Movie marathon."

With a flick of a button, the lights dimmed and the music played. The movie was starting and the signature "Walt Disney" sound was heard. In a flash, huge words appeared on the screen. It was the famous Disney movie, Tangled. She clapped her hands in a joyful manner.

"Oppa, i love this movie!" she chirped and leaned on him. A smile crept on his lips and he liked the feeling. After seventy minutes, it was the scene when Flynn Rider sacrificed himself in order to save Rapunzel.

"No!-" Eunhee shouted a little too loudly, causing the popcorn that Byunghun was holding to fall off from his hands. The popcorns were scattered everywhere on the dirty floor and she bit her lip in embarrassment. 

"Yah, Eunhee. You startled me!" he said, placing a hand on his thudding chest. 

"Mianhae," she said, the corners of bending down, indicating she was really sorry. Seeing her sad made his heart cry a little so he ruffled her hair and reassured her it was alright. Byunghun brought her hand to his and tightened his grip and they stayed like that for a long time. The movie ended and in a silky movement, he released her hand and changed the movie to a completely different genre: Horror. 

"Byungie.. i don't like horror movies," she whispered. He didn't hear what she had voiced out so he didn't stop the movie from playing. Eunhee gritted her teeth and mustered up courage to watch the scary movie entitled "4BIA". Frightening images came into view and she forced herself not to shrill. Her eyes almost bulged out when a gory scene popped up and she let out a muffled scream. Byunghun looked at her abruptly and noticed her pale skin and clammy fingers and quickly turned the screen off. He immediately slapped his forehead and uttered a thousand apologies.

"I'm so sorry.. i forgot you dislike anything related to horror.. you had admitted it when we went to Lotte World the other day. Man, i'm such a bad boyfriend," he said and mentally cursed himself. They stepped out of the dim room, blinded by the sudden light. The sun had already made its way to the west. They stretched their stiff muscles and moaned.

"Come on, we haven't finish our detention," Byunghun urged.

 

"What now?" Eunhee groaned.

"Gardening sounds fun."

Byunghun dragged Eunhee to the garden. Their shadows stretched before them and she playfully punched Byunghun's shadow. They fed the fishes in the pond, clearly wasting time. Then Byunghun looked at his watch and alerted her it starting to get late so they started gardening by arranging the flowers. They were tons of them but they finished doing so in half an hour. Eunhee noticed him using a watering can to water the flowers so she pulled it away from him.

"Watering cans are a waste of time. Let's just use a hose, okay?" She started spraying the flowers but a butterfly distracted her and she let go of the hose. Water sloshed at Byunghun and Eunhee gasped. He was soaking wet but that didn't stop her from picking the hose up and spraying more on him. 

"You can't have revenge because your watering can is nothing compared to my hose!" she said and stuck her tongue out at him. Byunghun wasn't satisfied  so he ran off to find another hose. To Eunhee's surprise, he did find one and he started spraying at her, laughing evilly. They sprayed at each other, the droplets glimmering as they caught the sun's orange glow. She could see Byunghun smiling sheepishly amidst the pearly mist that hung between them and she had to admit, he looked fantastic even though he was wet from head to toe. He caught her gazing at him and screamed "I'M COMING TO GET YOU!"

She snapped back into reality and formed an 'o'. He chased after her and obviously he won. She screamed as Byunghun tugged her sleeve. She tried to wriggle away but his grip was firm. He sprayed her with the water and she squealed as she felt the cold liquid strike her skin. She smacked his hand away and shouted in glee as she freed herself. She ran, the wind rushed through her ears and the feeling of victory surged through her. But her triumph was short-lived. Byunghun caught her, ringed his arms around her waist and pulled her into a back hug.

"Caught you."

Eunhee felt his warm breath on her neck and giggled as they started falling onto the wet grass. All was silent for a while and Eunhee listened to Byunghun's heavy breathes against her own.

"Come on, you'll catch a cold like this." Eunhee lazily complied and they both left the garden, soaked wet as if it had rained upon them. They ran to their classroom where their backpacks were still in the same position from dawn. She ped her bag and pulled out a nice, new blue sweater and black shorts and her Pokemon towel. Byunghun laughed at her.

"Yah, your towel looks like it's a five year old's!" he managed to say between laughs and wheezes as he clutched his stomach. He was laughing too hard and then noticing Eunhee's stern face, he stopped and faked a cough. He wriggled out of his shirt and slipped on a hoodie. Eunhee pleaded Byunghun to close his eyes and as he did so, she quickly wore her outfit and then pinched his nose.

"I'm done!" Byunghun grinned.

"Well.. what do we do now?" Eunhee said, crossing her arms over her chest and tilting her head, her eyes piercing through his.

"Let's go to the basketball court. Oh, and bring your pillows and blankets as well as some snacks." She struggled as she carried those and Byunghun swiftly took it away from her which left her carrying only their pillows. Within minutes, they were both lying on top of the blankets and gazing at the sky filled with millions of stars.

"Oppa! There's a shooting star!" Eunhee exclaimed. "Make a wish!" she added.

The couple closed their eyes and made their wish.

Their wish was the same though: to never separate and be together forever. Then they looked at each other and smiled. 

 

 

[A/N: Hello! Sorry for not updating last week! :( My friend wasn't in Singapore so we didn't get to discuss. OK so this a long update and my best friend might update the next chapter either tomorrow or this Sunday, so please anticipate it! ^^,]