Chapter 1

The Forlorn Promise

 

The calendar marked the 4th day of September. Eunhee groaned and raked her hair in frustration. Then, she looked bleakly at her calendar again. She looked at the words written on the 5th September box. Written in capital letters and red ink, her handwriting read: ‘MATH TEST TODAY’.

Yes, her math test was tomorrow. What was even worse was that she had not prepared a thing for it. If it was not for the sadistic teachers, who decided to cram all homeworks and assignments this week, she would have been all prepared for the test right now. It seemed that she would have to spend the whole weekend at home. She looked at the clock.

12 noon.

She had been in front of her desk for 3 straight hours now. She was drained out of energy and needed to rest. She flopped on her bed, and a few seconds later, she received a text. She looked at the screen and out popped his name.

Myungsoo Oppa.

Eunhee grinned. Her boyfriend just knew how to make her day better.  She rested her chin on her arm to read the text.  Instantly, her grin disappeared. Her face darkened and her eyes narrowed. Written in Korean, were the words she had never wanted to see. She reread the text again and again, not believing what she saw.

In bold letters, it read “Let’s break up”.

She didn’t know if he really meant it or if it was just one of Myungsoo’s stupid jokes. With her shaky hands, she texted back: “What do you mean?”

Five gruesome minutes passed and there was no reply. She picked up her phone.  Exhaling sharply, she punched his number which she already knew by heart.

“The number you dialed is not available. Please try again—“

“Urgh, stupid,” she muttered under her breath.

Grabbing her green cardigan, she left her house and ran all the way to Myungsoo’s. Her thoughts were all tangled up as her legs moved forward and the tears of worry are threatening to fall. Her legs hurt but she pushed on. She could have hailed a cab or take the bus but her mind was too messed up to even think.

Upon reaching, Eunhee knocked on the door a little too recklessly, and then out step a frail-looking woman. She stared at Eunhee. She was sure she must have looked like crap now. But it did not matter. All that mattered now was Myungsoo.

“Eunhee, what are you doing here?” the woman asked.

“I’m here to look for Myungsoo. Where is he?” she asked nervously.

“Oh he’s right here. Wait a moment--“ she closed the door. Soon it opened again, but it wasn’t the old woman anymore. Instead, Myungsoo came out.

His eyebrows knotted in fury, the veins on his neck throbbing. He looked scary. He gripped Eunhee’s wrist, and brought her out to the back garden.

“Oppa--“

“Why the hell are you here? Stop calling me oppa or jagiya or whatever you want to call me!”

“But—“

“Don’t you freaking get it?! I’ve never loved you! Just go.”

Her breath stopped.  Words left her. It felt as if the whole world was crumbling beneath her feet. His words were sharper than anything in this world and it pierced through her heart. She gazed at Myungsoo. His breath was heavy from anger. Was this real? Were these words coming from the man she loved?

Tears invaded her eyes. Soon, gravity drew the tears off her eyes. The inexplicable pain yanked her heart ceaselessly.

Then, Myungsoo turned and left her. She looked at his back helplessly.  Her shaky legs finally gave way and she fell onto the hard ground, her tear stained face crumpling in agony.

No, no, don’t leave me. Come back. Come back and tell me it’s only a joke. Tell me that everything is fine.

“Come back,” she croaked.

But he did not turn. He disappeared around the corner. She closed her eyes, letting the tears fall freely. She did not know how long she had been there crying, but when she stood up, her legs were numb. Grabbing the walls for support, she slowly stepped out of the garden.

After the tears dried out, she felt empty. She walked aimlessly through the streets. The wide blue sky spread across her. The birds were chirping their songs and the people swarmed the streets. How could everything else remain the same after the tragedy that had struck her?

His words repeated in her mind, tugging her sadness. I’ve never loved you. I’ve never loved you. I’ve never loved you. He had never loved her. He had left her. He isolated her. He abandoned her. The pain was too much to endure.

Her legs stopped walking suddenly and she looked to her right. The building soared into the azure sky. It was the building where she first met Myungsoo. She remembered his mischievous smile that never let his and the twinkle in his eyes when he looked at her. The pain came flooding into her chest again but she wanted to replay the moment she met Myungsoo again: the happiest moment of her life. She entered the building and waited for the lift. When it arrived, she stepped in and pressed the rooftop button.

The lift stopped and she walked out. She gazed at the spot where they met. They both had come to run away from their problems. Their paths crossed more than once and she decided that it was more than just a coincidence. The tears came to her again. Coming here was a mistake. Loving him was a mistake.

The skies darkened. She looked up. The weather was the only thing that she can relate to her feelings right now.

Suddenly, a thought struck her. She should commit suicide. Why bother living when your only world left you? If she died, everything would end and she would not have to go through this ceaseless pain anymore. The skies opened and rain poured, strengthening her decision.

 

She heaved a sharp breath as she staggered towards the edge of the building. She let her weight balance precariously on the edge. She thought about Myungsoo and her tears fell. In reality, she was scared of falling; she was scared of dying. But she wanted everything to end so she forced herself to calm her racing heart.

 

She stepped forward but was pulled back instantly and fell into the man’s arms. Eunhee looked at the stranger’s face. He had gorgeous sharp features, and his midnight purple hair covered three-quarter of his right eye. She looked at him, trying to protest, but he slowly puts his finger to her lips to stop the words from coming out.

 “Yah! What are you doing? Can’t you see I’m trying to jump off this building?” Eunhee finally retaliated after a long awkward yet intense pause. He stared at her, and then let her go. Eunhee fell onto the floor and winced at the pain. At that moment, all the pain and sadness disappeared and she was dominated by fury for this man. He smirked, but then his face softened when he saw the look on her face.

 “That hurt right? Imagine falling from the 40th storey,” he pointed out. Eunhee rolled her eyes. He had a point. She huffed, crossed her arms and gave a stern look at him. “What did I do? I was trying to save you from committing suicide!” Eunhee sighed and held her hand out.

 “Well thanks for your concern. My name’s Eunhee… what about you?” she gave him a half-smile. “The name’s Byunghun. You can call me your lifesaver,” he winked. Eunhee laughed a little, surprised at his lame sense of humor despite the mysterious and sly face. He smiled for a while, and then his expression turned serious.

“Why did you attempt to commit suicide? What happened? I know I’m just a stranger you just met six minutes ago, but you can explain it to me. I’ll keep it a secret, I promise,” he said firmly. Eunhee cleared . She scanned his face, and he seemed trustworthy. The thunder roared, making Eunhee snap back into reality. “It’s raining. Let’s find somewhere quiet and then I shall tell you the reason.”

Together, they left the rooftop. Byunghunput his hand on her back to guideher forward.Her bottom still had a stinging pain after the “fall”.  They found a bus stop nearby, which was deserted, probably due to the heavy rain. By the time they reached the bus stop, they were soaked to the skin. They made their way to the available and wet empty seats. “This is fine, right?” Eunhee nodded. She adjusted the strap of her top and turned to Byunghunwho was looking at her innocently.

Before this, she knew that she would never trust a stranger. But this man was different. When she looked at him, she could only see understanding in his eyes. So everything spilled out from her. When she was done talking, a silence engulfed them. Misery hit her again and she started crying.

Byunghun was taken aback by her sudden outburst and was at lost of what to do. Slowly and hesitantly, he pulled her into a comforting hug. 

 

 

 

Author's Note:

The first chapter is up everyone!!! Do comment! ^.^