Chapter 8

The Forlorn Promise

 

 

   Eunhee sat down in her circle beside Taeyeon and Chunji. Taeyeon s her arm across her shoulders.

“Why are you late?” She asked. Eunhee shrugged and smiled at her.

Just then, they all spotted the busses parked along the driveway. Excitement perked up in her as the teacher announced that they were finally leaving for the campsite. Since Eunhee was in group B, she would be taking the first bus. Eunhee picked the window seat in the second row. The bus engine started and soon they were off.

Eunhee’s right was empty as no one chose to sit beside her. The bus began to fill with raucous laughter and the students began to spurt out random lyrics of some songs. Soon, the whole bus was singing nursery rhymes, adorned by some beautiful voices and spoilt by some horrible cries. She didn’t feel belonged at all.

 

   Clicking “shuffle” on her iPod, she closed her eyes; the music slowly sinking into her head. She shook her head according to the music’s rhythm and suddenly her peace was intercepted. Someone was poking her ribs. She peeled the headphones from her ears and turned sharply to her right.

“What?” She snapped. Chunji backed away, feigning fear. Then, he laughed to himself, “Ooo, someone’s angry.”

Eunhee huffed and crossed her arms.

“What color do you like?” Chunji asked.

“What?”

   “What color do you like?” he repeated.

“Yellow,” Eunhee breathed half heartedly.

There was silence between them and Eunhee wondered what the man beside her was doing. But her towering pride did not allow her to look to her right.

“Here, a yellow lotus for you.” He handed her a yellow tissue paper, folded nicely into the shape of the lotus. Eunhee looked at him and he flashed his killer smile. This man was a certified playboy.

“We’re here!” Eunhee sighed and look at her surroundings. Cold wind blew a pile of fallen leaves through Seoul Grand Park’s landmark in a heap of auburn and gold. She alight the bus and stood near the gate. Mrs. Kahi blew her whistle and most kids jolted awake. Some rubbed their heads and some had confused looks plastered on their faces. It was obvious they slept throughout the whole journey.

“Welcome to Seoul Grand Park,” she said. The place defined breathtaking. Eunhee had never seen such beauty.In teams, they made their way to the natural campsite. Chunji walked beside Eunhee, clearing trying to start a conversation. Being the faithful girlfriend Eunhee was, she felt a little disgusted at his attempt to flirt with her.

“Why are you flirting with me? You do know I’m your best friend’s girlfriend,” she frowned. He just smirked. ‘She obviously wants to talk to me,’ he thought. Almost hearing his thoughts, she added, “and no, just because I asked you don’t necessarily mean I want to talk to you.” 

   Mrs. Kahi blew her whistle again and everyone hurried to one spot and sat on the grass. Eunhee’s group sat in a circle. Chunji was obviously sitting beside Eunhee but he gave up on talking to her and decided to give her some peace.

When, everyone had quieted down, Mrs. Kahi announced, “First, I want to you guys to give your group a name. Raise your hand and shout out your group name when you come out with one.” Eunhee’s group leaned over to discuss their group name. But no one came out with a nice one.

   “I suggest ‘5 People’.” Eunhee blurted out.

The others gave her blank stares.

“What? There are 5 people in the group. Is it not easier that way?”

Still, those blank stares.

“Ok it’s not a good one. Let’s move on.” Her ears reddened and so did her face. Chunji noticed this and chuckled.

“How about Zenith?” Jaehyo suggested. A smile crept on Taemin’s face and he nodded. Taeyeon shrugged and said it was okay.

“It sounds y. Just like me,” Chunji said triumphantly. Jaehyo shook his head.

“You’re so conceited,” Eunhee said. He just gave a “so?” look and then popped a bubblegum into his mouth. Taeyeon walked towards the teacher and told her their group name. Mrs. Kahi jotted it down on a paper and smiled.

 

Twenty minutes later, another group appeared. It was Byunghun’s group. Hyuna had tried up to Byunghun by making lots of aegyo but failed.

“Stop it, Hyuna,” he gritted his teeth, irritated at her behavior. Hyuna acted like that comment offended her and then gave him a smirk. Zico approached Hyuna and gave her a devilish grin.

   “You can do aegyo to me and I won’t feel annoyed,” he joked.

  

   Both of the groups walked towards the official campsite to set up their tents. Since the girls had to be separated from the boys, each group had to take two tents. Eunhee and Taeyeon took the smaller tent since only two of them would be sharing them. Hyuna and Bora’s tent was set up next to theirs and Hyuna’s whines bothered Eunhee.

   “Can you stop whining?” she asked politely. Hyuna gave her a glare and stopped what she was doing. Eunhee pitied Bora. She seemed to be the only one working. Her long, wavy hair tied in a ponytail; she scanned the instruction manual with full concentration. Eunhee tore her gaze from Bora and immersed herself in her own work. She and Taeyeon struggled with the canvas and the unclear pictures in the instruction manual but within half an hour, their tent was finished.

   They both stepped back to see their masterpiece. The tent was tilted to one side. Eunhee and Taeyeon burst into laughter at how horribly hideous the tent looked. Taeyeon stepped nearer and circled the tent, as if examining a UFO that had just crashed into earth.

“Can you sleep in this thing?” Taeyeon carefully entered the tent.

   “It’s so weird!” Her voice came out muffled from the interior.

   “It looks straight in the picture.” Eunhee scratched her head, “There must be something wrong.” She heard someone clear his throat and she spun around to see an amused Byunghun.

   “Oppa!” she said happily and run up to him, wrapping her in his arms. “I’ve missed you,” Eunhee admitted. She didn’t want to let go but it was a little uncomfortable to do so when her classmate was there to watch the whole scene.

   “I miss you too, jagiya,” Byunghun said. He looked at the tent and forced himself not to laugh. Unluckily, he did and he couldn’t stop himself. Eunhee pouted while Taeyeon just stared at him.

   “It’s hard to set it up okay!” they both said defensively. Byunghun clutched his stomach and then tried gasping for air. He wiped an invisible tear on his right eye and coughed.

   “I’ll help you,” his voice suddenly serious. Within minutes, the tent was at its right position and she was impressed by how good his fixing skills were.

   They helped Bora too, whose tent was already half-finished. Hyuna did try to help too, surprisingly. The sky was reddening by the time all the students finished setting up their tents. A campfire was kindled and as the darkness settled, the fire glowed in red.

   The students sat around the leaping flame, telling ghost stories and singing together until the sky became deep black and the stars twinkled. Eunhee met Byunghun’s gaze through the fire. He flicked his head to the right, motioning to leave the area. Eunhee nodded and they both left their seats.

   Eunhee scurried to the edge of the cluster of people and so did Byunghun. With the least possible noise,they both ran towards the trees.

“I know this place. So let me lead you.”

Byunghun laced his fingers around her wrists and lead her through the trees. Slowly, the light began to disappear and they both walked through the darkness that clawed at her eyes. After what felt like an eternity, they reached a clearing where there was a clear view of the night sky.

   The moon glowed softly upon them as they sat, leaning against a huge rock which placed itself in the centre of the clearing.

“Eunhee,” Byunghun said. She looked at him and said, “Hmm?”

“Never leave me.” Eunhee looked surprised. Why the sudden statement?

“No matter what happens, I want to be with you. I will never leave you and I want you to know that. I will only love you, Eunhee.”

Her heart softened.

“Me too, Byunghun, me too.” And so the promise was sealed between them.

 

 

[A/N: a slightly longer update. Enjoy!]