Chapter 13

The Forlorn Promise

 

Three years had already passed. Eunhee had spent a rather good yet lonely life in Singapore but everything was going to change soon. She'll be heading back to Korea. A bubble of warmth spread in her heart and she squealed in delight. She missed everything about Korea; from her house, to her family and friends, to the famous dukbokki and chocolate waffle shops near her apartment.

She looked at the house standing before her.

"Goodbye, Singapore.." she muttered before leaving the place forever.

 

Eunhee was listening to BIGBANG's song. The music blasted from her headphones and she nodded into the rhythm of Beautiful Hangover. The later summer air caressed her as soon as she stepped through the automatic doors. She breathed in the sweet scent of her country. The air was definitely different here. The atmosphere here was light and freer.

Eunhee spotted the familiar figure and screamed, "SORA-AH!" Her cousin spun her head and a wide grin form on her lips.

"Eunhee!" she enveloped her cousin with a warm hug. 

Setting her foot on her homeland brought her thoughts back to Byunghun. She had tried to contact him but he never replied. She waited desperately for his news but none came. And just like that, they had lost contact of each other. She never knew what had happened to him or how he had progressed. Unconsciously, tears pooled in her eyes. She did not realize how much she missed him until now. 

Determination flared in her eyes. Now that she was here, she would find him. No matter how long it would take, she would find him for sure. 

"Eunhee.. what are you doing?"

Sora's voice broke her reverie. She flicked her head and responded, "Let's go."

 

They took a cab to Sora's house. She observed that the streets had changed although it was only three years. Her abode was simple, and because both her mother and dad decided that they did not need a big house. Her residence had three bedrooms so they had emptied one of them for Eunhee. She entered the room and was taken aback by the striking pink wallpaper that Sora's dad had specifically insisted on painting it so. 

"Uh.. i told my appa you're not twelve years old anymore but he wouldn't listen," Sora rubbed the back of her neck and gave her a watery smile. Eunhee bit back a laugh.

"It's okay, thank your appa for me." Sora nodded her head and closed the door, leaving her cousin to have some time alone and rearrange her stuffs. She ped her bag and plopped on the comfy bed. 

"Good lord this feels nice," she mumbled. After resting for a few minutes, she sat back up and sorted all her goods. Sora knocked on the door and Eunhee motioned her to come closer. 

"Are you sleepy?" she asked. Eunhee shook her head.

"I don't think i can sleep tonight, to be honest," she replied. 

Sora's eyes lit up. "Do you wanna go for a walk outside in the park?"

 

Eunhee remembered this place vividly. How could she forget it when it was etched firmly in her mind? This was where her first 'date' with Byunghun occured; the night where he told her to let go of those memories and burn them off. The scenes replayed themselves in her head. She wondered if Byunghun still walked through this same path, reminiscing the past like how she was. She wondered if he even missed her like how she missed him. Byunghun became so distant that she even doubted his existence; thought he was just a figment of her imagination. Or a dream that would disappear once she rouses from her sleep.

Thoughtlessly, her steps brought her to the exact place where the fire once leapt. Eunhee scrutinized the ground, noting for any burnt marks left. There, buried in the dirt and mud that had gathered, was a single ; a burn mark. It was faint but it was there. Then, she thought it was the only thing that proved they once existed.

 

Sora interrupted her thoughts and unplugged her earphones. She beckoned her to sit on the bench. Sora started the conversation by talking about the stars and how dark and mysterious the skies were. Then, Eunhee wanted to listen to what song Sora was listening to so she wholeheartedly handed it to her. 

"Who sang this?" Sora gasped in disbelief.

"HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW THEM?!" Eunhee explained that she only know groups from YG Entertainment. (Sora knew Eunhee was the ignorant type after all)

"Well that's their latest song," she said.

"And..?"

"The title is No More Perfume on You and it's sung by a group called Teen Top."

"It sounds familiar." Then she recalled one of her Singaporean friends spazzing about the group. 

Eunhee fell in the rhythm with the beat. It was quite catchy. This group was quite good. She nodded her head and smiled. So there was more to Korean Pop than she ever thought. Oe of the rappers started rapping and she stopped in her movements. That voice... she would now that voice anywhere. The way it was accented and the playfulness behind his swag attracted her. She knew she had heard the voice before but she could not lay her finger on it.

"Yah.. Sora.. what's his name?"

"The rapper? His name is L.Joe."

She frowned. She didn't know anyone named L.Joe in her life. So she didn't know him after all. She was quite disappointed because she was so sure she knew the voice. She hit the 'replay' button then listened to Fantastic Baby before Eunhee felt enervated and sleepy. Maybe the jetlag was setting in. 

"Sora, let's go home," she said while yawning.

 

Eunhee woke up at noon, and was awoken by Sora's loud voice asking her to eat lunch because her mother had cooked it for her. Eunhee lazily left her bed and washed her face and brushed her teeth. She was in her slobbiest state but she didn't even care. She poured the milk on her pancake and her eyes were so droopy, she almost spilt them. 

"EUNHEE! TEEN TOP'S HAVING A FANMEET AND I WANT TO GO! I GOT TWO FREE TICKETS SO PLEASE COME WITH ME!" Sora hollered. Eunhee smirked.

"Why should i even go? I don't even know them. They're probably not even handsome," she said before chewing on her pancake. 

Sora tried convincing her but failed until she showed her a poster of Teen Top. She studied them and then he caught her eyes. His hair changed his whole appearance and is face was thick with makeup but she would know those eyes; she would know how his mouth would open slightly when he was putting on his poker face and that tiny freckle under his eyes. Eunhee asked Sora for his name and her answer was similar as yesterday. It was L.Joe.

The same person had attracted her last night and she was sure that it was no coincidence. This man was undoubtedly Lee Byunghun.

 

 

 

[A/N: Hope you guys like this update! Do comment though because they always make me and my friend feel better :8)]