Chapter 24

The Forlorn Promise

 

Myungsoo frowned. Why did his friend have a pained expression on his face? Why was he in a hurry to leave? He managed to actually have a conversation with Eunhee and he couldn’t stay to talk with his favorite hyung? His lips twitched in annoyance.

“You okay?” Eunhee asked. Myungsoo looked at her concerned face and he cleared his throat. He patted her shoulder before heading towards the make-up room.

“I have to go and ask the noona to put some more concealer and foundation on my face. It’s starting to melt.” He tried to come up with a lame excuse and that seemed to be the only thing that popped in his mind. Eunhee looked uncertain.

“It looks fine to me,” she said. ‘Is he lying to me? Something must have happened before. Looks like they had some sort of history back then and it involves me.’ Eunhee thought.

Myungsoo let out a long sigh and let his body slide down against the wall. He looked stressed. Eunhee bent down and gazed at his face, trying to read his eyes. She mentally slapped herself when she couldn’t find out anything. She really wasn’t a mind reader, or in this case, an eye reader. If that word even exists.

“I have to go. See you after my performance,” he stood up and left, leaving a confused Eunhee behind.

 

Myungsoo huffed. Sungyeol glanced at him before shrugging.

“What happened back there?” Myungsoo just kept quiet. Sungyeol coughed, implying he understood his friend just wanted some time alone.

“Man, you need some water. You look tired and beat,” he added and tossed the fellow a cool mineral water bottle. “You need to feel refreshed and have this surge of energy gushing through your veins before performing. Good luck!”

Myungsoo grinned; it was just an act though. He didn’t feel like smiling at all. Were L.Joe and Eunhee together, at some point of time? Did L.Joe love her? No, the question was, did L.Joe still love her? Questions after questions were developed in his head and he screamed. Afterwards, he kicked the nearest table. The pain jolted in him and he hugged his knee.

“God damn this thing-“ He looked up and gaped at Eunhee. She scrunched her nose and rushed towards him.

“Oppa, gwaenchana?” Eunhee asked while searching for a plaster among the row of drawers. She found one and went back to him. Myungsoo stopped her from applying plaster on his knee and then he wrapped her in a hug. Eunhee was taken aback by the sudden action but she immediately melted into his warm embrace.

“Thanks, but I think I’m fine now. It doesn’t even hurt anymore. To be honest, it was only just a slight scratch. Guess the scream was just exaggerated,” he chuckled, trying to lighten up the atmosphere after he parted himself from her. He chuckled again when he realized Eunhee’s cheeks were red.

The scream was filled with rage and frustration as well as pain but all of that was forgotten the moment he hugged her. He felt happy and at peace. Comfort nestled between them and they just foolishly grinned at each other.

“We’re about to go in five minutes!” Sunggyu shouted from the other corner of the room. Myungsoo groaned. Why did his leader remind him so much of Eunhee’s aunt? At that thought, he chuckled for the third time.

“You seem so happy now. Good. Your behavior back at near the restroom scared me. Oppa, you should start preparing. Your fans are waiting for you. I’ll support you from backstage. Oppa, hwaiting!” Eunhee made the ‘fighting’ pose and giggled. Myungsoo’s heart raced quickly; it was mixed with anticipation and a gush of love towards Eunhee. He maintained a calm posture and looped his arm on Hoya’s shoulder. The dancing machine seemed to glow. It was made clear that he couldn’t wait to perform The Chaser. It was a song with meaningful lyrics and powerful dance moves.  He looked back at Eunhee and wink, making Eunhee’s heart flutter.

“Good luck Myungsoo…” she muttered.