Chapter 14

The Forlorn Promise

 

Eunhee paced about in her room, her mind as disheveled as her current state. It was the day Teen Top would be holding their fan signing event. The thought of meeting him after such a long time flushed her with both excitement and nervousness. Nevertheless, her grin spread wider as the seconds ticked by, bringing her closer to the person that she missed.

Eunhee halted in her steps and recounted her thoughts. Finding Byunghun was easier than she though. Much, much easier. But why was she so sure that he was the real Byunghun? 

What was she thinking? What was she even doing? Was she just going to go up to a random star and say "Hey, I'm your long lost girlfriend"? For all she knew, that person might not be the same Byunghun.

She started pacing again, anxiety creeping into her mind and corrupting her thoughts. What if she had the wrong person? What if he was not her Byunghun after all? But she had Googled about him- and practically stalked him online. She had spent a sleepless night, mulling over the similarities. She had to be right. It just did not make sense if she was wrong.

It's Byunghun. It's Byunghun. It's Byunghun. She repeated those words in her mind and after a minute of chanting those lines, she was convinced by her own persuasion. A soft knock on the door interrupted her thoughts and she looked at an enthusiastic Sora. Her cousin patted the cushions on her sofa and plopped down, chewing on a grape-flavored gum. 

"Sora... I'm nervous." Sora raised her perfectly plucked eyebrows and stopped chewing, grabbed a tissue and spit the gum out. She folded it and placed it on the coffee table before saying...

"Why? It's not like this is your first time going to a fan signing event," she shrugged. Eunhee toyed with her hair, nibbling on her lip and thinking that sentence made her felt even worse because it WAS her first time. Sora saw the look of dispiritedness on her cousin's face and apologized.

"It's okay, I'll guide you. I've been to a fan-signing event before and honestly, it went out fine. Trust me," she placed her hand on Eunhee's shoulder, hoping that would make her feel slightly better. But Sora did not know the actual reason of her nervousness. There was a long awkward and tense pause before Sora cleared and started spazzing about her favorite Teen Top member.

"I love love love Changjo! The nickname 'dancing boy' suits him so much. He lives up to his name and it's surprising that he's only two years older than us. Can you believe it?!" The spasm continued on and on until she couldn't describe about the gorgeous maknae anymore. 

"Eunhee, you should start getting ready. We're gonna leave in half an hour's time! I'll leave you alone to change." Eunhee politely nodded her head. She huffed as she looked at the pile of clothes all clumped together in front of her. All of them looked casual and simple and nothing seemed special. She looked at the first top and examined it.

"Huh... too much sequins," she tossed it and the shirt landed on her bed. It took her ten minutes until she found the perfect outfit. "Ah... just nice. A floral-printed shirtdress and ripped jeans. Seems suitable." The top hovered over her brunette hair as she adjusted it, making it slide down and fitting her to-die-for figure. She pulled the jeans and grabbed a white belt to complete the look. She smiled at the reflection that stood before her in the mirror and smirked. Then she grabbed her handphone and keys and left her bedroom.

"OH MY GOD, GURRRRL. You look stunning!" Eunhee knew her cousin was exaggerating but she blushed anyway. "You too," she muttered softly. They linked their arms together, left the house and hailed a cab. The journey wasn't too long though because they arrived an hour earlier. To their confoundment, there were already more than a hundred people. Some were playing cards, some were gossipping and some were just squealing in excitement. And so, the event started an hour later. The host adjusted his microphone and started babbling and instructing. 

They had to wait at the right side, somewhere near the elevator so they did. All fans rushed to the place and jumped up and down. Eunhee looked at the line and she let out a relaxed sigh. It was pretty long, so she'll prolly have to wait for quite some time. She wasn't ready though. Sora, however, was squealing and fanning herself.

"Oh my god i am going to meet Changjo oppa.. oh my god, is this really happening oh my god-" Eunhee chuckled. Her cousin was such a drama queen! Time passed and the line in front of her was getting shorter. Eunhee could see all six of them, sitting in a row. Byunghun was the second. The anxiety crept back into her. Her stomach made flips and she desperately swallowed the bile that was coming up . She suddenly felt dizzy and grappled for Sora's hand. She turned.

"Eunhee, are you okay?" A wave of concern flashed in her face as she asked the question. She nodded quickly. "Your hands are cold," Sora remarked, not convinced by her reply. Sora rubbed her two hands on Eunhee's until the warmth seeped back in.

"I'm fine," Eunhee croaked and gave her a weak smile. When it was Sora's turn to go, she patted Eunhee's back and mouthed 'good luck. 

The plan was to go there and do exactly what Sora did. But Eunhee never said anything about following the plan. When Eunhee strode out, she acted like everything was completely normal. She was there, just like any other Angels, with no plans of re-introducing herself to one of the members as his long-lost girlfriend. She let the first member scribble his autograph on the paper.

"What's your name?"

He looked up and asked with a smile. Startled by this unexpected kindness, she replied.

"Eunhee."

She was not sure if it was just her imagination or that the man beside him really turned at her name. She forced herself not to let her gaze wander to Byunghun and made a complimentary remark about the guy's hair. Then, it was time to proceed.

Eunhee bit her lower lip as she started at Byunghun who was sitting before her. Byunghun asked her name and when he looked up, words left her. She had spent HOURS coming up with ideas as how to confront Byunghun. But as his gaze bore into hers, she just stood there, at loss for words.

Recognition flickered in his eyes. But the spark in Byunghun's eyes transformed into a cold glare. Eunhee stepped back, shocked. Byunghun tore his gaze away from her and looked down. 

"Byunghun." Eunhee said hesitantly. Her voice was soft so that only two of them could hear it. But Byunghun did not look up, his hands thoughtlessly playing with the marker he was holding.

"Byunghun." She raised her voice and her tone was firmer. There was no reply. Rage was beginning to bubble up in Eunhee. She did not come her to receive a silent treatment from him.

"Byunghun. Look up. I know you know me."

She knew she was causing a massive traffic jam behind her and it was time for her to go but she did not care. Byunghun continued ignoring her. She breathed heavily, desperately trying to control the anger that was rising from the pit of her stomach. In this attempt, tears began to sting her eyes and she furiously blinked it away.

"Byunghun."

She called once more. But when Byunghun still chose to ignore her, the anger dominated and gained control of her actions.

"Yah, LEE BYUNGHUN! SAY SOMETHING!"

The words spewed out of and she no longer knew what she was doing anymore. She began shouting at Byunghun and hurling curses at him. Her actions only frightened herself and she no longer recognized herself anymore. She was aware of all the eyes looking scornfully at her but she couldn't stop herself. She just lost control.

This man in front of her was the one who she trusted; whom she once loved and knew so much turned inexplicably cold towards her when she did not even do anything. He had no right to be so arrogant just because he was already an idol when she was an ordinary girl. 

When she was finally done, she paused and listened to her own raging breaths. Byunghun finally looked up. For a split second, hurt flashed across his eyes. But as he blinked, the look disappeared and his lips twisted to form a bitter smirk.

"Whatever your name is, I don't know you. So just leave. And remember this: I never had a first love." His words knocked the breath out of her lungs. She staggered backwards, only to be caught by her cousin. Sora was whispering something into her ears but she did not hear. The reality of what was happening finally knocked into her. His words echoed in her head, lashing her with pain each time she repeated. She bit her lips, not wanting the tears that had invaded her eyes to escape. The truth was that she really missed Byunghun. She wanted to come here so that she could be in his warm embrace once again. She wanted to rest her head on his shoulder and feel how it was like to have his arms around her and how his breath tickled her ear. 

But then, all she receiving was his scorn and cold stare and words that would only haunt her for the rest of her days. The tears were slowly escaping against her will. She covered to prevent a sob from escaping her tough facade and started to run. One leg after another, she continued, until breathing became a labor. But she didn't give a damn. She just wanted to be far away from everything: away from reality; away from Lee Byunghun. 

 

 

 

[AUTHOR'S NOTE: HOW IS THIS CHAPTER!!!! Intense eh? :P Do comment or subscribe! I really miss having comments for this story :( Also, the updates might be even slower cause the exams are nearing and its on the 26th of April! Wish me and my bestie luck guys! Gomawo in advance! Love you all x]