Chapter 18

The Forlorn Promise

 

         Sora could not go to lunch with Eunhee. Apparently, something –most likely an unfinished group discussion—cropped up and after a million rounds of apologies, she left. Eunhee was quite disappointed. She was looking forward to be introduced to this foreign place by her cousin. But it did not matter. Her new friend, Sohyun, was kind enough to volunteer to take Sora’s place.

            Sohyun guided her through the maze of the hallways while engaging her in a light conversation. So far, she had found out that Sohyun had an older sister, loved coffee and was equally into literature as she was into sports. They both stopped when they reached the double doors of the cafeteria. The doors were not like the normal plain white wooden doors in other schools.

            She was not an expert in wood but this is the kind of thing that would be described in books as ‘an expensive oak adorned with intricate carvings’, if that even made sense. But the designs on the door made her wonder if this really was a school or—

         Her thoughts were cut off when Sohyun pushed the door open. It seemed that this school would not stop assailing her with its incessant splendors. The tables and chairs were not cheap plastic. The tables were real tables asin, made of wood and the chairs—well the chairs were made of plastic but at least there were individual and nicer chairs, not benches where the students had squeeze through each other whenever they was to sit or get off.

And the food was amazing. She knew she had not tasted it yet, but at least it looked rich and amazing. And it was a buffet. Who would even think of doing a buffet in a school cafeteria?

         Eunhee must be gaping because Sohyun laughed. Then, Eunhee shook her head, as if snapping back to the real world.

      “Sorry.” She mumbled.

      “It’s okay,” Sohyun said through remnants of laughter, “that must be my reaction too when I first saw the cafeteria.”

      Eunhee flashed an amused smile to Sohyun and took a deep breath before heading towards the long table with countless desserts, main courses, drinks and fruits. She grabbed a tray embellished with gold ornaments. She ran her smooth fingers over the decorations and smirked. She was definitely pleased with the adornments.

      She walked over to the main courses section and snatched the plates of roast beef and fries. The scent filled her nostrils and her eyes lit up. It smelt heavenly. Then, she took some chocolate muffins and a bottle of Diet Coke.

      When she returned to the table, Sohyun gawked at her friend and the tray she was carrying. She almost spit her food out but managed to swallow it in.

      “You… are going to eat all of those?” she asked, her eyes twice the original size.

      “Yeah,” Eunhee replied, gobbling on the cut piece of meat and she slowly chewed it, savoring the delicious taste. It was juicy and the amount of sauce added was perfect.

“Good lord this is so good,” she managed to say in between bites of the chocolate muffin. Sohyun beamed and ruffled her friend’s hair.

“You’re cute,” Sohyun complimented. Eunhee looked delighted.

“Thanks.” Both of them exchanged smiles before they continued finishing their meals.

 

“Okay, so basically, this is how you factorize these algebraic expressions…”

Eunhee blinked her eyes, her head jerking and wide open. She tried not to fall asleep but the teacher’s voice was so monotonous, it was hard to stay awake.  Sohyun nudged her arm and Eunhee let out a muffled “uh?” Sohyun giggled. She looked funny with dry drool on her chin.

“You’ve got something on your chin,” she told before jotting down important notes.

“Eh?” Eunhee slid her thumb over her chin and turned pink. Drool, she thought. This is so embarrassing. Thank God it’s only Sohyun and not the school jock, she added, shaking her head at her foolishness.

Mr. Lee was still explaining the formulas on the board. Eunhee placed her palm on her right cheek, forcing herself to remember the equations. The bell rang ten minutes after and she gratefully sighed.

“Saved by the bell,” Eunhee muttered and grabbed her books and swung her backpack over her shoulder. Sohyun was patting her back and wished her a good evening and she’ll meet her tomorrow. Eunhee waved back at her and left the classroom. She fished out her iPod from her pocket and listened to Exo’s ‘What Is Love’. She shook her body and head to the melodious rhythm and chuckled to herself.

“Baekhyun and D.O oppas voices are amazing,” she said aloud.

Still bobbing her head to the song, she realized she’d arrived home. She got in her house, kicked her shoes and placed them neatly on the shoe rack. She was about to close the door when somebody, somebody she hadn’t met for so long, stood there, in front of her.

Somebody she once loved.

 

[A/N: GUESS WHO THAT IS!!!! HEHEHE cliffhanger because i love you guys.. hehe]