Chapter 19

The Forlorn Promise

 

Eunhee gawked at the man.

“Myungsoo…” She breathed. Her voice sounded distant, as if it was coming from someone else. She could not believe that he was standing there right in front of her apartment. In front of her.

He was taller than she had remembered and his hair was no longer the unkempt mass on his head. It was straightened out and fell neatly just above his eyes. His jawline were getting sharper and the tiny twinkles in his eyes were just as alluring as she remembered. If anything, he was getting more handsome during the years that she was gone.

Myungsoo raised his hand to the back of his head, obliviously brushing his hair with his hand. That gesture was so… Myungsoo. He used to do that all the time, rubbing the back of his head when he was awkward or nervous. A fresh wave of pain and longing crushed her, remembering that he was no longer hers. But she was not about to cry. She had long gotten over that period of time.

“Uh… Hi.” Myungsoo shifted in his position awkwardly.

“Hi.” Eunhee whispered back, clutching the door knob. She did not know what to feel right now.

“You live here?” Myungsoo asked, peering over her shoulder into the house.

“Yeah.” Her voice came out squeaky and dreamy. She wanted to slap herself. She should just slam the door on his face for dumping her just like that and then coming back as if nothing had happened. She should not act like she was actually enjoying this moment. But she could not control herself. It was as if some unseen force had just invaded her and meddled up her brain.

She inhaled sharply and tried to bring seriousness back to her voice.

“So what are you doing here?”

Eunhee was taken aback by the edge in her own voice. Myungsoo took a step back. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. One moment she sounded all dreamy and a moment later she became huffy. Now he would think that she was crazy.

She cleared and tried to sound nonchalant. She did not care if he was here. “Why are you here?”

“No I… I thought I saw you so I wanted to… check if it was you. And it turned out that you live here and… yeah.”

Eunhee furrowed her brows. Why would he want to do that? Why would he want to check if it was her?

She was just opening to reply when someone interrupted.

“Myungsoo!” A voice at the other end of the hallway boomed. The man then strode towards Myungsoo, a phone clutched in his hand.

“We were searching all over for you! What the hell are you even doing here? You didn’t even switch on your phone! Are you even aware of the time? We have to go now! We have—“

The man’s gaze lingered on Eunhee and he stopped midway. “Oh.”

Myungsoo managed a fleeting smile at Eunhee and said, “See you around.”

The other man gestured a polite wave at her before both of them turned away. Eunhee could hear their conversation as they walked down the hallway.

“How did you find me?” That was Myungsoo.

“Sungyeol said you could not have gone out of the building. You never go out without us. So I searched every floor.”

There was a pause and the man asked, “Who’s that girl?”

“No, she was…”

Eunhee did not hear what he said next as he turned around a corner and his voice faded away. She closed the door, crossed the living room and plopped on the sofa. She dissected and analyzed the conversation she had with Myungsoo. At the end, he said ‘see you around’.  What was that supposed to mean? That this was not the last time she was going to see him? That she was seeing more of him? See you around. Was he around here? Was he living around here?

Then she remembered what the man said. You could not have gone out of the building. You never go out without us. What if he really lived in this same building?

She shook her head. No, that was not possible. But it was possible. Why else would he be here?

At that moment, Sora burst through the front door. Her face was twisted with rage as she slammed the door behind her. On instinct, Eunhee jumped on her feet.

“What’s wrong?” Eunhee’s voice was etched with concern. She strode towards her infuriated cousin.

Sora stood there stubbornly and her whole body was tensed. Her lips pressed on each other tightly and her jaw twitched, as if she was struggling to keep herself from bursting into a thousand curses. For a moment it was a wordless silence as Sora’s haggard breaths took over the room.

Eunhee finally gave in and pushed Sora to the sofa to sit.

“I’ll get you water and then you’ll calm down and tell me what happened.”

Eunhee glided into the kitchen and poured a jug of cold water. Then she headed towards Sora to hand her the cup of water. Sora choked her water down hastily and wiped with her sleeve.

“Now, better?”

Sora managed a half-heartened nod.

“Sora, what happened?”

Sora did not meet Eunhee’s gaze as she started talking. Instead, her resentful eyes stared straight ahead.

“They were talking bull, those damned people. I knew I had to stop them but they were just not paying attention. They said I have no say in this matter. Like what the hell? They don’t know a damn thing about what happened so don’t say anything.”

Sora’s voice came out husky. Eunhee furrowed her brows. Sora’s words were all jumbled up and she was choking on certain words. Eunhee could not make sense out of anything.

“Sora. I don’t understand. Talk properly.”

Sora inclined her head so that she was facing Eunhee. She took a sharp breath.

“You remember the time we went to Teen Top’s fansigning event?”

The one that she was screaming at Byunghun? Hell yeah. She would never forget that day.

“Yeah.”

“One of them took a video of you and just posted it on YouTube. They were thinking of spreading it and said it would be da bomb.”

Eunhee clenched her fists and gritted her teeth. She did not care that her breaths were getting untamed. She could literally feel the heat of anger sparking from her guts and spreading to the rest of her body.

She was not even surprised when her own snarling voice took hold of her:

“Let me see the video.”

 

 

[A/N: Hey guys. Chapter 19 is up because I looove you guys. Excuse my errors (if there is any) because I did not edit this chapter. Oh, and don't forget to hit the suscribe button and leave a comment! ^^]