Chapter 16

The Forlorn Promise

 

Eunhee told Sora everything. How she had met Byunghun, how it was like love at first sight, how they had to separate because she had to move to Singapore to pursue her studies.

"All i can say is.... wow," Sora said. "That must've been hard for you."

Eunhee choked, rubbed her eyes and laughed. It was a half-laugh though, because she cried again afterwards.

"Yeah," she admitted. It was more than difficult. Everything was a mess. The love of her life had forgotten her just because she was gone for a few years. It bothered her so much that he didn't even recall having a first love... Eunhee felt like the world just stopped revolving. 

Sora embraced her cousin in a tight hug and hushed her.

"Don't cry anymore. You don't look as pretty when you cry. 웃어 제발 웃어," Sora said while her hair. Eunhee's tears made Sora's dress slightly drenched but she was too busy sympathizing her cousin to even notice until it soaked her skin.

“That jerk doesn’t deserve someone like you.” Sora said scornfully.

Eunhee could not help but manage a laugh. Sora was the best when it came to this. If anything, she felt a lot better than before. Sora hugged her. And when Eunhee extricated herself from the easy hug, Sora asked her with her concerned tone.

“Want any dinner?”

Eunhee shook her head listlessly and Sora sighed. Then, she pulled the covers of her bed and led her cousin to lie down.  Once Eunhee was snug under the covers, Sora patted her head in a sisterly gesture.

“Get enough rest okay? School reopens tomorrow.”

Sora drew the curtains and flicked off the light switch, looked at Eunhee’s sleeping figure and with reluctance, strode off.

 

“Sora, I’m scared,” Eunhee said while peering into her reflection in the mirror. She was clad in a school uniform similar to Sora’s. A navy blue and white checkered skirt fell right above her knee and a white blouse was neatly placed. She was wearing a navy blue tie with red narrow stripes and a dark coat that was draped over the blouse completed the uniform.

“Come on, there is no need to be scared. You should be excited for your first day.” Sora said and sauntered towards her. 

Eunhee did look a little restless and jumpy on that morning. But nonetheless, her condition was better than yesterday. The only evidence that she ever cried yesterday was her slightly swollen eyes.

"You're right," she huffed, straightened her tie and adjusted the hem of her skirt. Sora placed a plate of bacon and eggs on the coffee table and Eunhee shoved them into , not caring if the crumbs were at her lip line and chin.

"Oishi," Eunhee complimented. Sora handed her a tissue paper and she wiped the dirty bits off her face. She brushed her teeth once again and looked at the figure staring back at her.

The person that her one and only Byunghun had forgotten.

'Shut up, brain,' she told herself. Her mind was only making things worse. She didn't want to cry again. She glanced back at the reflection before shutting the door.

 

They had to reach school early since Eunhee was new and there were matters to be settled with the principal. When everything was resolved, Eunhee finally knew what class she was in. Apparently, Sora was in a different class. At this news, was put in a slightly inconvenient since she was rather awkward socializing with new people. Sora promised that she will wait for Eunhee during break before going off to her class. After that, she finally met with her homeroom teacher. She was a woman in her late twenties with straight hair pulled back into a loose bun. Her bangs fell neatly above her eyes and she actually looked good with bangs. It enhanced her youthful features.

“Hi, you must be Kim Eunhee right?” She asked as she approached Eunhee. Her voice was cheery and a friendly smile was displayed on her face. Eunhee sighed with relief, glad that her homeroom teacher was not some temperamental old woman. 

“Uh, yeah.” She mumbled. 

"I'm Miss Tiffany, nice to meet you," her teacher said as she held her hand out. Eunhee was surprised. Never have a teacher she met held her hand out first, or even shake hands with a student. The teachers in her previous schools had always expected the students to only greet them a good morning, not a friendly handshake.

"You too," Eunhee responded after a while. 

Miss Tiffany gave her a warm smile and directed her to her class. 

 
[A/N: Sorry for the slightly delay of update! I had a major headache yesterday night and i didn't get to update... So this is it! Hope you guys like it! Subscribe, comment, anything that makes me happy! ^^ Adios!]