Chapter 3

The Forlorn Promise

 

The morning breeze whispered and hissed. The sun’s rays leaked through the curtains. Eunhee’s eyes peeked open in the dimness and she stretched. She could hear the clinks of the pots and pans coming from downstairs. It must be her mother.

Memories from the previous day came flooding into her head. She thought about Myungsoo and rage inflamed her. Her thoughts about Myungsoo conjured another recollection of the man she met yesterday. Lee Byunghun. 

Oh god, what did I say to him yesterday? She remembered perfectly that she had cried in front of him. Eunhee cupped her cheeks that were burning in embarrassment. She snatched her phone and swiftly scanned the conversation she had with him.

Help me Byunghun. Help me fix this broken heart.

“What the hell. Why did I ever say that?” Eunhee bashed her head into her pillow.  

That’s so embarrassing, she thought. Sighing, she got up from her bed and headed towards the restroom. She took a quick shower and then wore her uniform. Her spirits high despite the misfortune that happened yesterday, she ambled down the stairs. 

“Morning mum,” she kissed her mother’s cheek, giggling. Too excited, she accidentally bumped into the edge of the table, jabbing her hip with a sharp blast of pain. Damn, Eunhee muttered under her breath. She clutched her hip, the tears threatening to fall. 

Seriously Eunhee, it’s just- She couldn’t stop herself. She started crying, the tears falling down her cheeks quickly. Her mum gasped, pressing her hand on her shoulder and repeating “are you okay?” numerous times. Truth was, Eunhee didn’t cry because of the pain on her hip. It was the pain in her heart. She still couldn’t get over what happened the day before.  

“Eunhee-ah, you don’t need to go to school if you don’t feel like it,” her mum said worriedly. She shook her head. Unease swarmed her as she recalled that she had not studied for the math test today. The day started off terribly, judging from the accident and the fact that she was probably going to fail the test. 

“Then eat first, okay?” her mother pushed her gently towards a chair. Eunhee complied and sat down. She started taking a bite off the egg sandwich that her mother made. Her eyes strayed to the clock.  

“Mom I’m late!”  She cried with full. She did not bother to finish the sandwich and swung her bag across her shoulder. She slipped on her shoes and dashed out. She hailed a cab as soon as she saw one coming and jumped in. She announced her destination to the driver.  

Eunhee realized that she had not checked it she had enough money to pay for her ride. She took out her wallet and skimmed through it. She closed her eyes, sighed and frustration, and mentally cursed. She did not have enough.  

“Ajusshi, you can stop here.” Her voice was somehow pleading.  

“But—“ 

“Stop here.” Eunhee cleared. 

The reluctant driver stopped at last and Eunhee gave him her remaining money before stepping out. A thousand curses hurled from as she strode. This was her worst day ever. She adjusted the careless position of her bag. “This is as stupid as—“ 

Then, she saw him. She saw Kim Myungsoo. His hair that swayed gently in the breeze; his lithe body; his smile that curved recklessly; his eyes that twinkled when he smiled: she missed them. Myungsoo turned and saw her. Something flashed behind his eyes and Eunhee held her breath. Her face turned pale and her heart was beating faster than ever. His gaze bored into hers, causing Eunhee to step back. And just like that, he left.

She looked to her right. Well that made sense; she was right in front of Myungsoo’s school. She stared at the white building before moving on.

            She huffed and patted her stomach. She was hungry, and to make matters worse, she didn’t even know where she was. She looked at the sign near her and it wrote ‘TOP Estate’. She had never been to this side of the country, and suddenly she felt scared. What if she never got to return home? What if she ends up captured by rapists? She shuddered at the thought.

            Suddenly, she heard someone call her name. She spun around and saw Byunghun in his refined school uniform. She spotted the familiar logo on his shirt and sighed in relief.

            “You’re schooling at TOP High?” Eunhee asked shyly. He nodded and then noticed her uniform too. “So are you!” he said happily.

            “Well, what are you doing here? You look kinda… lost,” Byunghun pointed out.

            “I am,” she answered, telling Byunghun everything that had happened to her. “And now I don’t even know how to get there,” she added. Byunghun laughed at her carelessness and offered her a ride. He took his phone out from his pocket and called his chauffeur. A minute later, a black, sleek Mercedes arrived. Eunhee was definitely awed and impressed. He could tell by the look on her face. They got in the car and his chauffeur winked.

            “Welcome, miss,” he greeted. “My name’s Choi Seunghyun,” he added. Eunhee gave him a polite smile, and sat down. She ran her fingers through her hair, her other hand on her lap. And then Eunhee remembered about what happened the day before and then she faked a cough.

            “So, umm, about yesterday. I’m sorry for troubling you. Can we pretend it never happened?” she said nervously. Byunghun guffawed. “Well somebody’s embarrassed,” he teased, poking Eunhee’s shoulders. Her cheeks were burning uncontrollably under Byunghun’s teasing gaze. She wanted to dig a hole and hide in there forever.

            “Hey,” Byunghun called softly. Eunhee did not turn. She did not want to look at Byunghun, especially with her tomato-red face. “Hey, it’s okay, I know how it feels.”

            This time, she turned at his face. He nodded, assuring. Eunhee gave him a tight smile. TOP High stood in front of them. “You’re here!” Seunghyun said, stating the obvious. They waved him goodbye and then left. Eunhee dragged Byunghun to a quiet corner.

            “Byunghun-ah, I have a Math test after break and I haven’t studied anything. Can you help me?” she asked, batting her eyelashes. Byunghun loved her aegyo. “Sure,” he answered. Eunhee beamed and together they entered their respective classes.

            A decent two hours passed and soon, Byunghun and Eunhee met at the school library. They found a nice spot and sat down. Eunhee get her hands on her Math textbook and turned to the first page. Byunghun taught her how to solve the equations and in no time, she understood perfectly. The bell rang and she quickly dumped the book in her backpack.

            “Eunhee, I’ll you to your classroom,” he offered. Eunhee blushed and agreed. He also asked her to wait for him when school ends. At two in the afternoon sharp, she left her classroom and waited for him patiently at her locker. Suddenly, she saw a group of girls swarming around Byunghun and her eyes widened.

“Those clingy little brats,” she huffed. Just looking at the girls made her eyes hurt. One of them laughed her high pitched voice. Now her ears stung as well. She crossed her arms and realized something. Was she… jealous? She shook the thought off. No, no she could not be jealous. This did not make sense. She just met Byunghun. Why would she be jealous? After a couple of minutes, the man strode out of the crowd, smirking.

“So, you’re quite popular huh?” she asked. The tone in her voice sounded a little anxious.

“You just knew?” Eunhee looked the girls that Byunghun left behind. “Those girls are loathsome.”

“Why? Are you jealous?” he wiggled his eyebrows, tickling Eunhee. She let out a loud giggle. “Oh, please. Why would I be jealous?” she said, still laughing. Exiting the school, they talked about random stuffs; from their favorite colors to their favorite artistes. She really liked how casual and down-to-earth Byunghun was.

“Hey, how was the test?” he said. Eunhee grinned.

“It was easy! Thank you oppa for helping me just now!” she squealed. Byunghun’s heart fluttered. She called him oppa. He had longed to hear those words and then it finally happened. Eunhee realized what she just said and she started to blush again. He invited her to the waffle shop again.

“Do you like waffles?” The question rolled out of her tongue. He stopped walking.

“More than anything,” Byunghun’s voice was distant. Eunhee wondered if there was a reason why he loved these waffles so much. At that moment, she doubted that she would ever understand this mysterious man.

 

 

Author's note: HI everyone! Sorry for the super late update :-( TT_TT My friend and i were out of ideas... but we both hope this update's worth the wait! ^^,