Chapter 12

The Forlorn Promise

Eunhee and Sora were hanging in Eunhee's room, talking about random stuffs before leaving for Singapore. In the mean time, Eunhee was busy packing her most important possessions and Sora helped her out. Suddenly, she stumbled across a picture of her and Byunghun.

It was taken by his Polaroid camera on a day where they both shared their waffles together. In the picture, Eunhee was making a failed winking attempt and sticking her tongue out. Byunghun was displaying the half-eaten waffles and flashing his trademark smile. His left cheek was smudged by the chocolate from the waffles, making him look more of a fool than the marvelous person that he was trying to portray.

It was wonderful; how the picture had managed to capture the slightest details; the mischief in his smile, and the glimmer of joy in her eyes. A visible aura of amusement hung between them in the picture and it was as if the whole scene was paused at one rejoiceful moment. A smile crept onto her lips as she recalled that day.

"Isn't that Byung...something?" Sora asked, smiling as she took the picture to look at it.

"Byunghun."

"Yeah, how long had it been? Two months?"

"Three," Eunhee smiled at first, proud that their love had blossomed so much within such a short period of time. But as she realized the reality of it all, she frowned. "Only three months."

'And i have to leave,' she thought. Three months was too short. Sora's brows creased. There was a long pause between them.

"Wait, have you told him? That you're going to leave?" Sora broke the silence.

"I don't want to leave."

Eunhee had seen hope that their parents would change their mind and she would never have to depart the country. Only when there is no hope left, she would tell.

Sora sighed and placed her hand on her friend's shoulder, clearly seeing she was dreading to leave Korea. 

 

Byunghun paced around in his living room. HIs handphone was gripped tightly in his hands and he anticipated whether to call her or not. Then he mentally slapped himself. Of course he should, it was good news. 

He dialed her number and within seconds, a familiar voice answered.

"Hey jagiya!" he said happily. Eunhee couldn't help but smile. She could just imagine the look on his face, that playful grin of his and that gorgeous eye-smile. 

"Guess what?" he said again. 

"What?"

"I auditioned to become a singer and i passed the first round! Of course there's more rounds for me to pass to be truly confirmed as a part of a debuting group, but... still! I made it baby, i made it!" 

"I'm really happy for you," Eunhee said, almost not enthusiastically. Her heart sank. He really sounded too happy and she didn't want to make him sad with the depressing news. 

"Let's celebrate tomorrow," Byunghun added. "At my dad's friend's restaurant. It's amazing. I've been there multiple times with my family for dinner purposes and i swear they have the best food ever."

"Sure," Eunhee half-heartedly agreed, thinking that there would still be some time to go before her flight. She could tell him tomorrow.

Her voice lacked of her usual enthusiasm. It was monotonous. Almost...distant.

"What's wrong? Are you sick?" Genuine concern was audible in his voice.

"No, I'm not sick," Eunhee said that as if it was the most absurd thing in the world.

"Then, is it one of your mood swings again?"

"I don't have any mood swings!" she accidentally shouted. 

There was a pause after her outburst.

', , Eunhee what is wrong with you?' a voice in her head echoed.

"You're not doing something crazy right? Like leaving the country or something?"

Only silence at the other line.

"What? No! Why would i leave the country? That's insane," she faked a laugh. 

"I don't know."

Byunghun laughed as well; an honest, tangible one that brought a smile to Eunhee's lips.

"Great, I'll see you tomorrow then," he said, his words still adorned with laughter.

"Okay."

"Goodnight, jagiya," he was trying to act cute again.

Eunhee's entity that she was leaving finally sunk in when she heard him at the other end of the line. She would never meet again. See his face in front of her, hear his voice whispering into her ears. She did not know how she could bear a couple of years without him by her side.

With dismay, she said, "Goodbye, jagiya..."

But he never apprehended her farewell.

 

The next day, Eunhee woke up with a sad smile on her face. All of a sudden, she remembered the conversation she had with Byunghun last night. A thought struck her.

Running downstairs to the kitchen, she spot her parents sitting on the sofa, her dad with a newspaper in his right hand and a cup of coffee in his left, and her mother was happily watching the news channel.

"Appa, umma, can i go out with Byunghun today?" she said in a pleading tone.

"No, Eunhee. We have to pack a lot of things today," her father's voice was firm.

"But, it'll be my last day in Korea, appa! I want to spend it with him!" she protested.

"Eunhee, what i said is final. You should never go against your dad's sayings because i am definitely someone more important than that pathetic boyfriend of yours."

"He's not pathetic! What the hell!"

That earned a slap from her father. Her eyes watered and her mum gasped.

"Yeobo, you shouldn't have gone that far..." her mother said. 

Eunhee ran to her bedroom, crying her heart out. She clutched her chest while sobbing. Soon, her phone vibrated. It was a call from Byunghun. She contemplated whether to answer it or not but she didn't know what to say so she rejected the call. 

 

"Come on.. Eunhee... pick up the phone. God damn it!" Byunghun said angrily. He couldn't understand why she didn't answer his calls. Sitting down on the sofa, he recalled her distant voices. How she had answered him in a sad manner, how she had dissented when he asked her whether she was leaving or not. And then it all clicked. 

She was really leaving him.

 

At the airport, Sora and her family came to send Eunhee off. Eunhee tried calling Byunghun but his service was unavailable. She was getting restless by the time she started punching his number and dialing him for the umpteenth time. It was the last time she could hear his voice and knew how near he was to her. Giving up, she asked for a pen and paper from Sora and told her to pass it to Byunghun when she met him.

As she passed through the gates, all hopes of seeing Byunghun shriveled away into nothingness. Her determination was extinguished; her spirits crushed. She could only rely on the letter now, hoping that he would understand. She memorized each and every word of the letter she wrote and wondered if Byunghun would do the same.

 

To the man I love, my only Lee Byunghun.

I am sorry that i did not tell you earlier. I was hoping i never had to leave. In a few years, I'll come back and we'll live happily ever after, just like we've promised. Wait for me, and jebal, don't forget me. I love you always.

-Eunhee

 

Byunghun ran, quick as ever. He looked at his phone battery and cussed. Why the hell did it have to be flat at this time?! 

"Come on, Eunhee, don't leave me. Just not yet," he panted, his breaths heavy and wheezy. He looked at the timings displayed on the led screen. 

", i don't even know where she's heading to!" he screamed in dismay. A tear fell down his cheek. 

"Why didn't you just tell me you were going to  leave me? Why."