Chapter 23

The Forlorn Promise

 

Her aunt coughed and they awkwardly let go of each other.

“I’m sorry for disturbing you two but dinner’s definitely much more important than a hug, no?” her aunt nudged Eunhee’s arm. Eunhee looked down at her thighs in embarrassment.

“Why don’t you invite your friend, Eunhee?” her aunt asked again.

“Oh, yeah, want to stay for dinner with us? My aunt cooks the best pasta,” Eunhee said. Immediately, she thought of what Byunghun and she did a few years ago. They made pasta and it was the worst pastashe had ever eaten in her life. (A/N: Look at Chapter 5, if you don’t remember) Myungsoo was torn whether to stay or not because he had practice afterwards.

Eunhee sensed that Myungsoo was restless so she told her aunt that he was busy. To Myungsoo’s relief, Eunhee’s aunt understood his situation and let him go.

So when Eunhee’s aunt when back to the kitchen, she sent Myungsoo to the door.

Myungsoo lingered at the door step. He did feel uneasy for not staying because Eunhee’s aunt looked slightly disappointed and he didn’t want to come off as rude.

“Eunhee, tell your aunt I’m sorry. I’ll definitely come by to taste her delicious pasta someday,” he promised. Eunhee nodded.

“Yeah, I will,” she muttered. Myungsoo smiled. Then, he gazed at Eunhee’s eyes. She felt shy all of a sudden.

“I don’t know if I have said this before but you have really beautiful eyes,” he praised. Eunhee kicked his shin.

“Ouch! I complimented you and you hurt me?” he faked a sniffled. Eunhee flicked his forehead and snickered.

“You’ve said it before,” she stated. Myungsoo looked surprised.

“I did?” he asked.

“Yeah…” Eunhee replied.

“Well it’s not wrong to compliment you again, right? After all, you are gorgeous,” Myungsoo said. Eunhee’s cheeks quickly reddened and she playfully smacked his shoulder. Myungsoo chuckled.

“Well. I have to rehearse at M-Countdown tomorrow. Do you want to come and see me practice with the rest of the INFINITE members?” Eunhee tapped her chin, pretending to think over it. Truth was; she badly wanted to go. She just wanted to .

“Hmm… I don’t know about that. I do have some important things to do,” she sneered. Myungsoo looked crestfallen.

“I’m just kidding! Just look at the expression on your face. Yeah, I’ll go tomorrow.” Myungsoo smiled the wide, genuine smile that made his eyes crinkle up the tiniest bit at the corners.

“Okay! Be there at 2 PM! See you there!”

“Yes, see you.” With that, Eunhee close the door and giggled.

 

Eunhee had asked Sora to help braid her hair. To make it look even prettier, Sora added a diamond barrette. When Eunhee told her cousin last night that she was going to watch INFINITE practice, Sora scowled.

“That’s unfair! I want to see them too,” she pouted.

“If there’s practice again and Myungsoo oppa invites me, I’ll ask him if it’s possible if you can come too, okay?” Sora’s eyes glistened.

Eunhee applied lip balm and smacked her lips together. She batted her eyelashes in front of the mirror to check whether the mascara had really worked or not as she had short lashes. Fortunately it did.

Her phone beeped and it was a text from Myungsoo. He had asked her whether he should pick her up or not. She quickly texted a ‘no thanks, I prefer taking the bus’. Sora whistled at her.

“You look fiiiiiine,” she joked. Eunhee rolled her eyes.

“You pabo, close the door. I’m going to leave.” Her cousin waved at her and she waved back. Grinning, she made her way to the bus stop. She received another text from Myungsoo.

 

[Myungsoo @ 1.45 PM] Take care of yourself. If a ert decides to with you, smack him!]

Eunhee laughed loudly. People at the bus stop turned to look at her and she looked away, discomfort bombarding her like a wave.

[Eunhee @ 1.47 PM] You just made me laugh out loud. Now people will think I am insane]

[Myungsoo @ 1.48 PM] That isn’t my fault. You couldn’t control yourself. Anyway, it’s going to be 2 PM soon. Where are you?] Eunhee received this message the moment she entered the bus and found a seat.

[Eunhee @ 1.49 PM] I’m in the bus. Chill. It won’t take long for me to arrive there. I live near the place so. I’ll see you soon!]

[Myungsoo @ 1.50 PM] Oh right, I forgot. Well see you! I know you will look great~ Chu~]

 

Eunhee soon arrived at the place and studied her surroundings for a while before opening the glass door. The air conditioner’s coolness made her shiver a little. She finally spotted Myungsoo and he motioned her to come closer.

“Hey!” he wrapped her in a hug. His cologne made her feel at ease and she couldn’t think of anything better than that moment.

“Hi…” Eunhee said shyly. Then Woohyun entered the room and gave her his gummy smile.

“Sup? I’m Woohyun,” he held his hand out. Eunhee shook it and introduced herself as well. Myungsoo frowned at the three-second skinship. Soon, all of INFINITE entered the room and greeted Eunhee. She felt like she was their younger sister and they were her protective brothers.

“So how old are you, Eunhee?” Hoya asked.

“Eighteen,” she answered.

“Then call us oppa!” Sungjong said happily.

“Alright, Sungjong oppa!” Sungjong patted her head. Myungsoo cleared his throat.

“Yeah practice is going to start soon.” He only said it so Sungjong would part from Eunhee. Myungsoo cringed every time the members’ skin came in contact with hers.

“Go and practice! I’m going to the ladies,” Eunhee said and grinned at Myungsoo before going to the toilet. She whipped her phone out to look at the updates on Twitter when she bumped into someone.

“Yah-“ Eunhee froze. That voice belonged to someone she knew. She slowly looked up and let out a loud gasp. Byunghun was standing in front of her, and he didn’t look happy. For a second, L.Joe felt his heart skip a beat. ‘What is she doing here,’ he thought. Then he shook his head and that angry look on his face appeared again.

“Sorry,” Eunhee said, her voice cracking. She felt like she just swallowed a lump of bile. She forced herself to stare back at him. Man, those eyes that seemed to captivate her. That freckle underneath his eye. She was shocked at how quick his hairstyle had changed. The last she had met him, his hair was blonde. Now, it was purple.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, trying not to sound too eager. Eunhee scoffed.

“Like it matters to you,” she folded her arms.

“It does-“ Eunhee raised an eyebrow. “-not.” He completed his sentence. She could’ve sworn he wanted to say it did matter to him but she didn’t say anything.

“Eunhee!” Myungsoo called for her. He stopped at his tracks and then he came running towards L.Joe.

“YO L.JOE!” He gave L.Joe a brotherly hug.

“YO HYUNG!” Byunghun replied. Eunhee stood between them, feeling slightly left out. Myungsoo looked at her and back to him.

“You know Eunhee?” L.Joe asked.

“Yup. She was the one I told you about the other time, when we had our Be Mine comeback.”

“Oh. Yeah, okay see you later hyung. I… ah…have to continue rehearsing To You before M-Countdown starts. See you.”