January 2016

Lighthouse
Please log in to read the full chapter

December 25th 2015

Mama Jung was running around the kitchen, trying to finish cooking her marinated chicken before her kids and their guests got home. She was a little behind on schedule because she had to stay late at the shop, to close it for the holidays.

Papa Jung was also helping as much as he could by setting the table and preparing the drinks. He hadn't been home this early in a very long time, so he didn't mind helping at all. He could see that his wife was on the verge of going crazy, because she was late.

"Yeobo, don't stress. You know your kids, they're never on time!" He tried to joke.

"I should have came home earlier. The chicken is not even nearly done!"

"Yes, but everything else is ready! Look at this magnificent table!"

She looked at the table and felt a little better for a second. That was until she heard the front door being opened.

"Yeobo!" She exclaimed.

"I got it! Don't stress, they can wait. It's no big deal." Papa Jung said.

He moved to the lobby the same time Jessica, Leo, Taecyeon walked in. Leo was accompanied by a young woman that Papa Jung could swear he saw somewhere.

"Ap'daddy!" Jessica exclaimed.

She hugged her father tight before turning to her boyfriend.

"Abeonim, it's been a while!" Taecyeon said.

"Eo, Taecyeon-ah! How have you been?"

"Good. Where is Eomonim?" He asked.

"She is in the kitchen, but listen kids, she is stressing over the unfinished dinner. Please, tell her that she doesn't have to rush."

"Oh, of course! I'll go see her!" Jessica said.

"Taekwoon, would you care to introduce this lovely young lady to me?" Papa Jung asked.

"Ah, yes. Dad, this is Hayoung. She is a good friend of mine. Hayoung, this is my dad."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Jung!" Hayoung exclaimed.

"She is in Tyler's new girl group!" Jessica added.

"Oh, so you're in the same company?" Papa Jung asked.

Jessica just nodded her head before starting towards the kitchen.

"Mama!"

"Hey, baby. I'm sorry, dinner is far from being done."

"It's okay! I'll give you a hand!" She immediately offered. "And don't worry, Krystal is coming with Luna, so you'll have two more set of hands to help you!" She added.

"Thank you, baby!"

"Hey, Mom." Leo said as he walked in.

"Adeul! How are you?"

She turned to give Leo a warm hug. Jessica looked at the scene with a dumbfounded expression.

"Where was my hug when I walked in?"

"I reserved it to give two hugs to Jaehyun instead!" Mama Jung joked.

"Eomma!" Jessica exclaimed.

"You're too grown to be whining, baby!" She snickered.

"The struggles of being the oldest. I can't relate." Leo teased.

Mama Jung and Leo laughed together, while Jessica could not believe them.

"It's okay, my dad will give me hugs as long as I want!" She reacted.

Her mother and brother laughed even harder, making her laugh too. A few minutes later, Hayoung came in the kitchen to greet Mama Jung.

"You're cute as a button! Make yourself at home, alright?"

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Jung!" Hayoung said.

"Does your brother like her?" Mama Jung asked Jessica as soon as Hayoung left.

"I don't know, but it seems like it! He stopped at Coridel quite often these past two months." Jessica replied.

"Oh! You never know with Taekwoon! He bring girls home because he cares about them, but every time you think that something is going on, he tells them that they're just friends."

"That's exactly how he introduced her to dad!" Jessica said.

"See? How did she react?" Mama Jung asked.

"She didn't look phased, to be honest. Maybe they really are just friends, and they both know where the relationship stands." Jessica concluded.

"Maybe. -- What about you and Taecyeon?" She asked.

Jessica smiled from ear to ear before looking down at her hands, feeling embarrassed.

"Are you that happy?" Mama Jung giggled.

"He is the best. -- Mom, he is so good to me"

"I can see that... I'm happy for you, baby"

"Eomonim! I'm here!"

Taecyeon walked into the kitchen, with a huge smile attached to his face.

"Omo, adeul! It's been a while!"

She turned around and hugged him tight.

"Even Taec gets a hug, but not me?" Jessica said.

"He is an awesome son I didn't even have to work too hard for. I'm grateful!" Mama Jung joked.

Their conversation stopped when they heard voices coming from the other room. Soon enough, Krystal and Luna walked in, followed by Minhyuk.

"Mama!" Krystal exclaimed as she hugged her mother.

"My baby girl! How are you?"

"Hyung, how are you?" Minhyuk asked Taecyeon.

The shared a brotherly hug, while the girls said hello to Mama Jung.

"Annyeonghaseyeo, immo!" Luna said.

Mama Jung leaned back and let Luna give her a quick back hug, before washing her hands that were covered in flour, to greet Minhyuk. Taecyeon had left to go back to the living room after Papa Jung called his name.

"I'm sorry, I haven't finished yet. You guys are going to have to wait a little longer, for dinner" Mama Jung said.

"It's totally fine, Eomonim! Take your time!" Minhyuk said.

"We can wait, it's no big deal, Eomma!" Krystal added.

"And we can help, too!" Luna suggested.

"See? I told you not to worry! Your kids have the sweetest most comprehensive friends!" Jessica joked.

"Oh, Noona! I didn't even say hi!"

"It's okay, Minhyuk-ah! How can you see me when my own dongsaengs didn't!"

"Eonnie!" Luna exclaimed as she rushed to give Jessica a hug.

"Hey, that's my line!" Krystal complained.

Everyone laughed. Minhyuk quickly looked around and saw that the pan filled with food was placed at the edge of the counter. He quickly rearranged it, before grabbing a spatula, ready to help.

"Omo, Minhyuk-ah, it's fine! The girls and I are going to manage, don't worry!" Jessica said.

"I can help, Noona. It's fine." Minhyuk insisted.

Krystal took the spatula from him and smiled.

"It's fine, go wait with the boys."

She patted his back, then he left for the living room. She turned to her family, and they were all smiling too.

"He is such a nice kid. I'm glad to see that my daughters met such great men."

"Mom! Cringing!" Krystal exclaimed.

"I'm a Mom! My role is to make my kids cringe with my sweet comments!" She joked.

Jaehyun got home just in time for food. He came in with Ten who couldn't go back home to see his family for the holidays. The other foreign trainees were all given a week to go back home and enjoy some time with their families before their official debut.

When Mama Jung looked at her table filled with people, she could not help a smile from appearing on her face. She felt so happy to be surrounded by so many people on this holiday. She was glad to see that all of them felt at home, in her home.

"It's time for the presents!" Jessica exclaimed as they all walked back to the living room.

Dinner was finished and the dishes were left for later, so everyone had decided to gather in the living room to give out their gifts.

Minhyuk and Taecyeon had prepared a joint present for the girls' parents, and the girls didn't even know about it. Mama Jung loved the presents, but what she loved even more was to see her kids gathered together, under the same roof, laughing and having a good time.

She loved knowing that they were simply happy. Just like when they were just little kids.

The parents didn't last long because they were exhausted due to their busy week. They went to bed after thanking all the kids, and wishing them a good night.

"Yeobo, we're very lucky" She said as she laid down next to her husband.

He turned to look at her.

"Before Sooyeon suffered last year, I didn't really think that I had to worry about my kids' happiness, because they all had solid plans. When she was met with this difficult time, I realized how fragile all of it was really. I started to get worried for all of them." She continued.

"Me too." Papa Jung said.

"I know... I wondered who was really there for them. I felt anxious thinking that we were the only ones they had. So seeing all of those happy and genuine faces tonight... I felt happy. I am happy." She finished.

"I could tell. And that's why I'm even more proud to have thought of gathering everyone, tonight. I got to see my kids laugh, and my wife smile. We are really lucky"

"We are"

They smiled at each other before turning the lights off and going to sleep. A peaceful and relaxed sleep.

 

December 31st 2015

"Do you want me to fetch you tonight?" Minhy

Please log in to read the full chapter