July 2015 (2)

Lighthouse
Please log in to read the full chapter

July 20th 2015

Jaehyun was heading home after a long day at the company and all he wanted to do was lay down on his comfortable bed and catch some sleep.

For the past few days he kept coming home really late and couldn't see his mother as often as he would have liked to.

He still hadn't told his family about the debut news. He was not feeling ready to tell them just yet because he was not prepared to tell his parents about the moving out part.

His family was supposed to gather at home that night for their father's birthday. Both his sisters planned a surprise for their father and asked the boys to take care of cooking part of the event.

As he walked into the apartment he heard some noise coming from the kitchen. He made his way towards the room to see who was there.

"You're here? I didn't hear you walk in." His mother said when she saw him.

She was standing close to the sink where Leo was earnestly washing the dishes.

"Ah... Yeah, I just got home. How was your day?" He asked while he hugged her.

"I was just telling your brother about the long day I had. I did not expect to have such a hard time opening a clothing shop." She admitted.

"Hyung! It's been a while." Jaehyun exclaimed, quickly patting his brother's back.

"Mm...How are you?" Leo asked without turning away from his dishes.

"I'm good. Eomma, aren't you supposed to be on your way to the hairdresser?"

"I've been trying to get her to leave already, but she doesn't want to." Leo replied in his mother's stead.

"I don't need a new haircut for tonight. I'd rather spend that time getting things ready for the opening of my shop." Their mother told them.

"Eomma, the opening is a week and a half away, and Noona said that she would love to help you. For now you have to look your best for Appa." Jaehyun said.

"Why do I feel like you are trying to get me out of the way? Arrasseo, I'll act as if I have fallen for it. I'll see you later!" She said, making her way out of the kitchen.

"Hyung, what are we going to cook?"

He chuckled a bit before answering.

"Noona sent me the recipe for her truffle... I think she overestimated us a bit."

"What is a truffle? Is that the thing with apples in it?" Jaehyun asked his brother.

"You mean Apple pie? We're more screwed that i thought." Leo said.

Jaehyun laughed as he stood next to his brother. They both took their phones out and started checking the recipe online.

After a little while, they finally got an idea of what a truffle was and started getting the ingredients to cook it.

The girls came home just in time when they finished cooking the dish.

"Woah! It looks great!" Krystal exclaimed.

"If it tastes like it looks and smells, then I'm sure it will be perfect!" Jessica added.

"If Oppa did it, I don't have a single doubt about that."

"What about me, Noona?" Jaehyun asked her.

"If you were the only one in charge for the food, I would have ditched the birthday party." Krystal joked.

"Noona! That's mean."

"It's no big deal since I'm not your favorite sister." She replied, before sticking her tongue out.

She playfully pushed Jaehyun as he started towards her. They both laughed at their own antics.

"We took care of the cake and the decorations, so let's put everything up."

"Arrasseo." Leo responded.

"No, I want you to finish heating the rest of the food. Dad and mom will be here anytime soon. Soojung, dress the table please, and Jung Jaehyun come help me with everything else."

The three younger siblings all agreed to the task Jessica gave them and quickly started doing them.

"Finished!" Jessica said after putting the last gift away in her father's room.

She joined her siblings in the living room,where none of them seemed to remember that they had to get ready before their parents got home.

"Guys... the parents will be here in a few. Hurry and go change!" She told them.

"Aren't you going to get changed?" Krystal asked as she stood up from the sofa.

"I am, but I already know what I'm wearing. Do you?" She asked her sister.

"Erm... I'll go get ready." Krystal said, giving up.

She reluctantly walked back to her bedroom. Jessica turned to her brothers who seemed oblivious to the situation.

"What about you, boys?" She asked them.

"Do we really have to dress up?" Leo asked.

"You don't have to be dressed red carpet material, but I want us to look nice so that Dad will be happy." She replied.

It was enough to make her brothers leave to go get ready. She cleaned the living room before going back to her room.

Thirty minutes later, they were all ready and waiting for their parents in the living room. Their mother got back home from the hairstylist ten minutes after they all left the living room and ran to her room to go get changed too.

As soon as they heard the door opening, the girls rushed to the lobby to be able to welcome their father.

"Welcome home, Appa!" Krystal exclaimed.

Their father was surprised to see his girls because they were supposed to be busy. His shock got even greater when he saw both his sons, and his entire family dressed up.

"What's the occasion? Are we going somewhere?" He asked, completely clueless.

"Don't tell me you forgot again this year!" Jessica said.

"Forgot what?" He asked again.

"Commander, it's your birthday today!" Jaehyun said.

"Oh! You're right! I'm sorry, I was just a little shocked. Of course I remember my birthday."

His kids looked at him suspiciously. It would not be the first time for him to forget his own birthday.

"Anyway, Happy birthday Yeobeo! Come on, the kids prepared a lot for it!"

Mrs. Jung took her husband's hand and pulled him with her.

The kids followed them to the dinning room, and everyone sat down around the family table.

Jessica and Krystal started showing the dishes and explaining who cooked what. Their parents were extremely impressed at all the things their children did for the special occasion.

They all started eating and having small talk around the table.

"Taekwoon-ah, congratulations on your Chinese debut!" Mr. Jung said.

"Ah, thank you."

"It's the Chinese version of Chained Up, right?" Krystal asked her brother.

"Eo. It debuted a few days ago."

"When are you going to perform it for the first time?" Jessica asked.

"Tomorrow night on a Chinese TV show. We're leaving tomorrow morning."

"That's really good, Taekwoon-ah!" Mrs. Jung said.

She smiled before she patted her oldest son's back.

"What about you Jaehyun? Anything new?" Mr. Jung asked the maknae.

"Ah... W-we were told that we would be debuting early next year." He finally said.

Everyone stopped eating and looked at him for a second. They thought that he was joking and waited for him to admit it, but he said nothing more.

"Really?!" Leo asked him.

"Mm..." Jaehyun simply replied.

"Jaehyun! Why didn't you tell us! This is a big deal! You're debuting!" Jessica exclaimed.

"Congratulations my baby... I can't believe that it's finally happening..." Mrs. Jung said.

"Soojung, you don't look surprised..." Mr. Jung said.

Everyone had stopped eating expect for Krystal, who kept on smiling, knowingly.

"I already knew... Everyone talks about it at the company lately, so I heard about it too."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Jessica asked.

She seemed to be the most surprised one, for some reason.

"It wasn't my place to tell you. At first I wondered why he kept it a secret for so long, but I guess I understand now." She added.

"Why is that?" Mrs. Jung asked her daughter.

Krystal looked at Jaehyun as if telling him to say it himself. He heaved a long sigh before looking at his parents.

"I have to move to the dorms starting next month. I wasn't very excited about leaving the house." He finally admitted.

Their parents stayed silent for a second, before looking at each other.

Please log in to read the full chapter