Chapter 3

One Day, Long Ago
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One Day, Long Ago Chapter 3

 

 

Tae Kwang’s POV

 

These days I found myself on the phone quite often, chatting with Eun Bi. It found a spot in my daily routine. She would call me in the morning around the time I’m supposed to be up for my classes while I would ring her at night before falling asleep. I filled her in on my girlfriend, friends, and uni life during our calls. Our topics of discussion would range from anything to everything. Our phone conversations actually made me look forward to the next day.

 

I must have fallen into the habit of receiving her calls that when she didn’t call this morning I was taken aback. However by the end of the night Eun Bi rung me. Lying on my bed with my eyes to the ceiling I answered. We usually discussed our day, but this time I spared no time beating around the bush to confide in her.

 

“These days I’m worried.” I confessed into the phone.

 

“About what?”

 

“Of opening up to people. I don’t like the idea of people knowing who I was before, especially my girlfriend. If Joy finds out, then she won’t be able to look at me the same again.”

 

“If she really does love you, then don’t you think she’ll be able to understand?” Eun Bi responded with a thought-provoking question. Maybe it was just me. Maybe deep down I harbored a sense of fear of opening up and trusting people. But also Joy grew up in a different environment compared to mine. She was raised with love and the deeply encouraging presence of a close-knit family, while I grew up neglected by my parents and was deprived of their love.

 

“Eun Bi ah, I honestly wish there were people like you in this world. Someone who wears their heart on their sleeves no matter what. I always admired your optimism and resilience.” I told her, wishing she was beside me.

 

“Gong Tae Kwang, listen carefully. There are people in this world that can’t understand what it must have been like to grow up in your shoes. But if they are truly compassionate then maybe they’ll try to understand. Maybe despite the differences in upbringing, they’ll comfort and treat you just like any other person. You’re not the outcast anymore.” Eun Bi spoke words that swelled my heart in warmth. With her it has always been that way. Therefore she will always be remembered as the girl whose smile melted away my sorrows. 

 

“Thanks, Eun Bi. I was thinking of driving up to see you and the kids, but Tongyeong is three hours away.”

 

“Oh really? Although you can’t come, I’ll keep the thought of it. The kids occasionally ask about you from time to time.” Although my visit to the foster home was very brief, I recall having such a fun time there with the kids and Eun Bi. It took a while for the kids to get along with me, but thanks to my childish actions I happened to get along with them very well. Eun Bi teased me about it that night.

 

 “Maybe when I have some free time I’ll visit you guys. Playing soccer with the kids again sounds really fun.” I told her, chuckling softly into the phone.

 

“I bet the kids would be very glad to hear that. I have to wash up for bed now. Sweet dreams, Tae Kwang.”

 

“Yeah. You should get some sleep. Talk to you tomorrow?”

 

“You bet.” With that said, our conversation was done for the night. I treaded into the bathroom to wash up for bed, opening the bottom cabinet underneath my marbled sink counter to grab a towel.

 

An orange prescription bottle caught my eye. I pulled it out, co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter