Chapter 9

One Day, Long Ago
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One Day, Long Ago Chapter 9

Song for this chapter// butterfly by Christina perri

 

 

 

Taekwang's pov

 

 

6: 45 am

 

My weekend alarm system woke up, alerting that it was time for my morning exercise. I went out to the balcony of the penthouse to jump rope instead of going out for a jog. The morning chill proved to have woken me up from my sleepy haze as I jump roped on the spacious balcony. I had an obligation to myself to take care of my health, so a healthy lifestyle was a priority of mine.

 

After my workout, I texted Joy on my Apple watch to check up on her. Last night, she really did test her alcohol limit. She would be experiencing a very nasty hangover at the moment. My thoughts about my girlfriend faded as the smell of a savory stew lured me into the kitchen.  My eyebrow cocked at the sight of Eun Bi setting down a bowl in front of me at the kitchen counter.

 

“What’s this?” I asked, looking up at her.

 

“You can’t cook even a decent meal to save your life, so there’s stew in that pot on the stove. Just saying that you should eat properly.” Eun Bi played it nonchalantly just like the way I acted last night.

 

“Uh… well thanks for the meal. I bet it’ll taste great.” I quickly glanced at her then with an even rapid pace, I averted my eyes to the bowl to eat my breakfast. It’s been ages since I last eaten a home cooked meal, since I lived alone and basically lived on deliveries from nearby restaurants or the side dishes that the maids always delivered once a week. Home cooked are usually reminiscent of home life and the meals mothers cook, but this meal only reminded me of Eun Bi more as it was comforting.

 

During the ride to Tongyeong, there were instances of comfortable silences between us that dragged on for long minutes, but I didn’t mind it one bit. Eun Bi plugged her in ear-buds in, leaning to the right and then she closed her eyes.

 

We didn’t need to pick up the kids since they texted Eun Bi, telling her that they were being dropped off home instead. Once the car stopped in front of the gate, the three kids ran over to us, pushing open the gate. Seung Min, Young Ho, and Ra Jin stood outside the car doors, waving with joyful grins.

 

“Tae Kwang hyung!” Seung Min and Young Ho surprised Eun Bi and I by giving me a hug instead of their noona. I squatted down to meet their height, embracing them in a hug and then patted their heads while smiling at the two children. Wow. Four years have definitely transformed them. “Come on in, Hyung!” Young Ho took me by the hand, running to the house while Ra Jin and Eun Bi followed suit behind us inside along with Seung Min.

 

Oddly, the house was silent without a single person in sight or hearing range. This confused me until an adorable golden retriever puppy pounced on me. Ra Jin pulled the hyper puppy away, holding it within her arms. Eun Bi and I exchanged a glance, knowing that she would be able to answer my questions later when the kids were asleep.

 

Without a single worry on my mind, I played with the kids in the yard and failed to train their puppy, which I now recalled to be named Fluffy. The three energetic kids were bundles of endless energy as they ran around the yard, played fetch with Fluffy, and kicked around a soccer ball with me. Seeing their genuine smiles, I found myself smiling as well. These kids were kind, lively, and completely disproved the stereotypical belief that kids raised in unstable settings were all belligerent. These kids were worthy of so much love and it pained me that they were abandoned. Who would do such a thing?

 

“Where is Director Kim?” I asked Ra Jin during dinner while Eun Bi and the boys were occupied with plating the food in the kitchen. The eleven- year old girl ceased her chores and responded to my question.

 

“She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter