Chapter 25

One Day, Long Ago
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One Day, Long Ago Chapter 25

 

Song for this chapter// Breathe by Lee Hi

 

“Although your sigh may seem cheerless to others I know that your day was so difficult that it was hard for you to even let out such a small sigh.” ~Breathe

 

 

 

Eun Bi’s POV

“She didn’t even bother to give it me herself.” Tae Kwang muttered, taking out the wrapped present from the small brown cardboard box he just opened after getting it from the deliveryman.

 

“What did she gift you?” I asked him, walking over to the kitchen to get some water for my pills.

 

“A tie. How lovely is that?” His voice leaked of sarcasm. He never wore ties with his suits, because he never learned how to tie it. Usually sons learn how to tie their ties from their fathers, but in his case he never could. “What’s the damn point in birthdays, anyway?” I heard him mutter under his breath.

 

“Name something you want. Anything. I’ll grant it. It’s the least I can do, since you refused gifts.”

 

“I already got the gift I always wanted.”

 

“Which is?”

 

“You.”

 

It was all the little things. Long gazes. Brief touches. Words of concern, which ultimately displayed our affection for one another. It was the little things that discreetly showed the truth.

 

Tae Kwang’s POV

 

“Are you happy?” Eun Bi’s question ranged in my ears as I asked myself the exact question. “I wish you were.” She added, wrapping her around me from behind, where I stood still and silent.

 

If you’re not happy, then something needs to change. I recalled the phrase from a session I had with Dr. Ji a while back. Something needed to change, which was the root of my happiness. I needed to repair the severed relationship I had with my father. I needed to.

 

“I want to be happy and the only way I can have that is by asking my dad about this. This is a sign! A sign that he wants to be in my life! A sign that he cares!” Ever since Eun Bi showed the recommendation my father signed, I became hopeful.

 

“Then maybe it’s also time for you to give him your letter.”

 

After Eun Bi left, I became filled with apprehensiveness and conflict. I attempted to rationalize it out, yet I could only think about having the relationship that I always yearned for with my dad. Having a meal together without fighting, asking him about how his day was, and all the little things people end up taking for granted. I wanted that. And I knew how.  

 

The box was taken down from the closet shelf and opened, breaking my vow to never let the contents of this box to see the light of day. I reached in for the worn cream-colored envelope and pocketed it within the internal pocket of my suit. Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I exhaled nervously. I was dressed formally in a navy suit and even wore the brogues that I only wore once, which was at my mother’s third wedding.

 

The hope that I thought was dormant was now spurred once again. It was a sign. I was sure of it. The only reason he would do such a thing would be for me.

 

With a heavy heart and a hopeful grin I entered my father’s study to see a glass in his hand half empty with bourbon. Approaching him, I slid my phone onto the desk in front of him.

 

“Father.”

 

“What?” He asked, sighing as he did so. His eyes glanced down at the phone in front of him, which displayed the document I took a picture of.

 

“You knew, didn’t you?” I whispered, not having the confidence to speak loudly in front of him.

 

“Of course I knew. I wrote it.” My eyebrows crinkled up as I registered his terse tone. I was taken aback by it, for it was not the atmosphere I was expecting from him. After all he did something with good intentions… for me, his son. I desperately wanted to believe that.


“Is this your way of reconciling with me?” I asked my fath

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter