Chapter 24

One Day, Long Ago
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One Day, Long Ago Chapter 24

 

Song for this chapter// Out of Mind by Tove Lo

 

“You’re out of your mind to think that I can keep you out of mind.”

 

Joy’s POV


“You can’t keep lying in bed all day, Joy!” Wendy and Irene urged me to leave the bed as they stole the sheets from me. Tissues were piling up on the nightstand next to my bed from all the crying I done as I told my best friends about the breakup.

 

“Come on! We are going to get you ready and go clubbing! So come on, get out of bed!” My best friends pulled me out of the bed, taking me to the bathroom to transform me into a pretty college student and not the sloth I was hours before.

 

As I got dressed in the outfit my friends picked out for me I noticed the gift I wrapped for Tae Kwang out of the corner of my eye in the corner of the desk. I tore my eyes away and grabbed my black heels off the floor.

 

“We are going to have so much that you won’t even remember his name!” Irene exclaimed as we passed my parents, who were watching the television on the couch. “Mr. and Mrs. Park please do not worry, we’ll get Joy back home safe tonight.”

 

“Of course. Make sure to take a cab back home! No drunk driving!” My mom shouted after us as we piled into a taxi to head to a club in Gangnam, which many university students frequented.

 

My best friends were ecstatic for a girls’ night out, whereas I wasn’t in the mood to be partying. The only thing I looked forward to was the loud music and the drinks, which would help in getting my mind off Tae Kwang.

 

“Three shots of tequila.” I ordered at the bar, glancing over to the dance floor where my friends were dancing to the blaring music. I liked it. I liked the fact that I couldn’t even hear my own thoughts sometimes due to the ear- blasting techno music that was playing on the speakers.

 

“One, two, three. Go!” I shouted, grabbing the shot glass and swallowing every drop of the strong alcohol. The liquid burned down my throat and through my chest, making me feel stuffy. I definitely wasn’t a strong drinker. But the alcohol did help in loosening me up. The glasses landed on the table with a loud thud before my two best friends dragged me onto the dance floor to dance. The floor was thumping from the beat of the music and that beat overcame my own heartbeats as well. Sweaty bodies danced all around me as the night continued.

 

I sat down at the bar, asking for another drink when the squeaking of the barstool next to me sounded. A guy around my age sat down and ordered a drink.

 

“Want to get out of here?” The guy spoke into my ear, his warm breath tickling it. He pulled back, revealing his face. He was certainly attractive, which allured me.

 

“Give me one reason why I should. Then maybe I’ll go with you.” I circled the rim of my glass absentmindedly before taking another sip of the cocktail.

 

“Oh alright. I could be the solution to your broken heart.” I was taken aback by his answer. Was a heartbroken girl truly so noticeable in a crowd like this? I analyzed his expression, which exuded the over confidence of an arrogant player. “No thanks. I don’t waste my time on pompous guys like you.”

 

“Oh. Playing hard to get, I see.” He smirked, unexpectedly leaning into me. His infuriating cockiness added to my already terrible mood, inducing me to lash out at a mere stranger.

 

“Are you that dumb? I’m not playing hard to get, you . I’m flat out rejecting you! God, its guys like you that make my ex out to be a total saint. Ugh.” Grabbing my drink, I left the bar and the guy hanging. I texted my friends that I was taking a cab home and left the club. Tonight I was just not in the mood.

 

I threw my heels, clutch, and keys on the floor and climbed into my bed not even bothering to wipe my makeup off. I just wanted to sleep…

 

“Joy? Sweetie, please wake up.” Sunlight overwhelmed my vision as I yanked the sheets over me. But then I heard my dad’s voice.

 

“Dad?” I fluttered open my eyes to see my parents standing over the bed with a cup of water and a pill.

 

“First take this. This will help with the headaches from the hangover. Joy, we’re w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter