Chapter 23

One Day, Long Ago
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One Day, Long Ago Chapter 23

 

Song For This Chapter// Cannonball by Little Mix

 

 

Eun Bi’s POV

 

The glow of the sunlight streamed in from the window that slanted from the wall, waking me up from the dim lighting occupying the room. My hand shielded my eyes from the perceived light as I pulled myself up. Since I used to suffer from insomnia and am a light sleeper, even the slightest things came wake me. Every single night I had this routine of turning off every single object with a light on it, in case it might wake me up or prevent me from falling asleep.

 

I closed my eyes as my head landed on the pillow only to hear the sound of my phone going off with a text alert. It was Tae Kwang. He texted me to open the door.

 

“Just leave.” I muttered, standing in the doorframe with my eyes to the floor about to close the door when Tae Kwang simply entered the house by shoving his foot in between the door and the doorframe.

 

“I wanted to come.” He replied, stepping inside.

 

The house felt so strange and empty without the kids, yet their remnants remained in the exact spots they left them. Pictures lined the walls and the chores lists were still taped to the refrigerator doors. “What are you planning on doing from now on? Are you going to move to Seoul for uni?” He asked as his footsteps mirrored mine.

 

“I don’t know. I can’t do this right now.” I muttered, closing my bedroom door on him.  I allowed him to come in, but I couldn’t let him into my room. I needed the space.

 

I slid down to my feet, curling myself up as I became pensive again. It was silent for a while until Tae Kwang started to speak to me.

 

“Hey. I’ll just stay here on the other side, but I believe in you. For a while it will be hard. Getting up in the morning will take all the energy out of you and that’s normal because there will be a day when getting up in the morning won’t be so difficult anymore. Just… know that I’m here. I’ll always be here.”

 

The wooden floors were cold to the touch, as my hands remained flat on the floor. I focused on the beating of my heart as I tried to empty my mind. But there was just one thing I couldn’t resist. It seemed as if a century has passed before I turned the doorknob, letting light flood into the unlit room to be met with Tae Kwang’s most authentic smile. He circled his arms around my back, inviting me into his warm embrace.

 

I found it absolutely terrifying how someone’s presence could calm you down and lift your spirits. It was almost addicting. Tae Kwang had that effect on me. Although I was tired, just the image of him was enough to make me smile. And his hugs. They made me finally realize why people say that someone felt like home. His arms felt like home. They were home. For a girl that never had a proper home I found it in the most unexpected place of all. In Tae Kwang. I rested my head on Tae Kwang’s shoulder. And then a placid silence filled the empty house.

 

To be honest, after I met Tae Kwang I began to look forward to the days rather than dreading them.

 

I walked into the bathroom and turned the faucet on to notice an injury to my hand. My blurry and groggy eyes adjusted to the sight to notice shards of glass embedded into my hand with blood dripping from it as well. My initial reaction was shock, but then I grabbed onto the sharp piece of glass without a concern and yanked it out. It hurt. It stung. The physical pain coursed through me, yet it as though I was numb. I anticipated it. I didn’t mind it.

 

My eyes flew open and the sound of my own screams flooded my ears. My chest heaved as heavy breaths left my wide mouth. Fear and adrenaline pumped through my veins. I felt his hands on my shoulders and then my chin. Blinking rapidly I stared at Tae Kwang, who was reminding me that everything was going to be alright.  

 

“It’s okay. It’s just a bad dream. That’s it. You’ll be alright. You’re okay.” He repeated into my ear as his hands rubbed a soothing pattern into the small of my back. The air felt stuffy and I felt too warm in that moment. I grabbed my hand, seeing it as normal as it could be. An ominous feeling remained in the back of my mind.

 

“You

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter