Chapter 30

One Day, Long Ago
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One Day, Long Ago Chapter 30

 

Song For This Chapter// Love Is by Davichi

 

“When the rain falls, we can get rained on together.”

 

 

Tae Kwang’s POV

“I’ll be alright sooner or later.” I muttered to myself, blinking my eyes as I remained still on the bed. It’s been difficult waking up these days, but at least I wasn’t obligated to go out and put on a spurious guise on campus. “What am I supposed to do? Even if I graduate university on time, no one is going to want to accept me with my history.”

 

“The assumption people hold of individuals like you are statistically false, so don’t think like that and focus on recovering. Once I determine that you’re stable again, you’ll be discharged.”

 

The room became silent except for the sound of rain pattering against the windows. The sound was pleasant and soothing as it lulled me to a deep sleep.

 

My eyes fluttered open, as I perceived a tickling sensation on my soles of my feet. I opened one eye to be met with Yi Ahn’s face right in front of my nose. Out of surprise I fell out of my bed, prompting my friends to rush over to help me up.

 

“What are you guys doing here? You scared the hell out of me!” I exclaimed, sitting on the bed with my high school friends.

 

“Eun Bi told that you were admitted… again.” Shi Jin’s voice trailed off as her chin fell to the ground after her statement.


“So we came to visit! How are you, Gong Tae?” Song Joo started off exuberantly, but then she too became tepid by the fact that I was a patient again.

 

“I’m just having a bad month. I’ll be good sooner or later. You don’t have to worry about me. Thanks for coming, you guys.” I told my friends, while reminding my own self that I’ll soon be alright.

 

“Just know that we’ll always be there for you. When you get better we can all hang out again with Eun Bi. You can do this, Tae Kwang.” Yi Ahn told me before he left with Song Joo and Shi Jin.

 

Turning on the sink faucet in the washroom, I splashed some water onto my face. Drops of water fell into my mouth and down my lips as I faced the sink. I wiped the water away from my face, tilting my head up to see my reflection.

 

“You’re not going to win! You can’t beat me! I won’t let you take my life from me! Who are you to dictate my life! This is my life not yours! One day, I’ll win and I’ll be the one standing!” I declared with determination at my own reflection, for this was an everyday battle with my deteriorating mind.

 

My parents came to visit me and they came together! It took me by surprise that they actually came together. This time they weren’t even bickering one bit as they asked how I was doing.

 

“We’ll start the session now.” A male psychiatrist joined us, prompting me to ask where Dr. Ji was. “She is busy with a counseling session, so she asked me to take over today’s family counseling. Now these sessions’ sole objective is to mend the relationship between you and your parents. I would appreciate it if you all participated.”

 

“Of course.” My parents said in unison, which pleasantly surprised me. I admired their willingness to participate, for it meant that they cared.  

 

“Your father and I just didn’t work out. It had nothing to do with you, Tae Kwang. We loved you then and we still love you. You were never the cause of the divorce.”

 

“When your mother left I simply shut everything out, including my own son, which I deeply regret now. I dove into my work and became distant with you. I felt as though I wasn’t qualified to raise you as I was so busy with work. That’s why I sent you away to boarding school. I’m so sorry for the way I treated you.”

 

Hearing the candid explanations I never received cleared up all the misunderstandings between us. I couldn’t change the fact that the divorce took place and that my mother was someone else’s mother too, but I now finally had the chance to change the events of tomorrow. I could rebuild a relationship with my parents.

 

Eun Bi’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter