Chapter 19

One Day, Long Ago
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One Day, Long Ago Chapter 19

 

Mental illnesses and disorders are not a motif used for the progression of the plot, but implemented in order to bring more awareness to the legitimate health concern teenagers and young adults face everyday. Learn more about this at NAMI.org

 

 

Eun Bi’s POV

“Lee Eun Bi? Hi, I’m Kim Yoo Jung, the social worker assigned to investigate what happened. I was scheduled to do a house checkup today when I found out that you were in the hospital.” The idea of a social worker questioning the kids at this time rendered me at a disadvantage for the final adoption check.

 

“Uh… Yes.” I was still obfuscated from the injections of Wellbutrin I received, but luckily I was regaining my clarity.

 

“I’ll just ask the kids a few questions and that will be all. And your final adoption process will be an interview with another social worker in four days.” Four days? I pushed myself up on the bed, sitting up now in order to address the social worker.

 

“Thank you for the notification.” I told her weakly as she walked out with her briefcase in hand. Even though I was still experiencing lassitude I was grateful for the fact that she didn’t arrive when I was completely out of it. Gathering up my strength I stood to my feet and was about to take my IV line out when Dr. Ji rushed into the room.

 

“Woah! What do you think you’re doing?”

 

“I need to take the kids home. My interview is going to be in four days. I can’t waste my time here I need to go home.” I rambled on as my eyes darted around the room for my belongings with the sole intent on leaving this hospital.

 

“Eun Bi! Lee Eun Bi! Get it together! Do you even realize what is going on?” Dr. Ji gripped my shoulders, staring at me right in the eyes. My reddened pupils met hers. “You’re in this hospital because you fainted! Which was a direct cause of your new medication reacting with the medication you’ve been on for years. You can’t keep going on like this! You can’t keep pushing your health aside!”

 

“I am not!” I screamed in defense of her preposterous argument that I wasn’t tending to my disorder. “I just need this adoption to be finalized! The kids need a home. All I want is to give them everything I didn’t have…”

 

“That is benevolent of you, but not if it means pushing aside your health. You need to rest and you need to make time for it.”

 

“I will! Just please let me leave. I’m taking care of myself the best I can. One time I didn’t show up at my part-time job because I needed to relax and I ended up getting fired the day after. In this world mental illnesses aren’t even considered legitimate illnesses unless it’s actually observable! I’m honestly trying… so, so hard. So please let me go!” All my frustrations spilled out onto the floor, leaving Dr. Ji stunned with the truth of how my life has been since we last met for a session.

 

“Please take care of yourself. But Eun Bi I can’t let you out. One more day under my watch.”

 

“No! You can’t do that! It’s not like I hide my disorder like Tae Kwang! I accepted the fact that there are people who don’t understand, so I’m just living my life diligently! So please just trust me and let me leave. I’m feeling better now. Please. I can’t waste my time in a hospital. Plus I don’t like it here. I never wanted to come back…” With every shallow breath I took the tears brimmed my eyes, threatening to spill. It was a reflex that reflected all the pain that was kept in my soul.

 

“I remember the young girl that came in here four years ago. She couldn’t get out of bed for weeks and her body w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter