Chapter 17

One Day, Long Ago
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One Day, Long Ago Chapter 17

 

Tae Kwang’s POV

 

“Remember the instant you’re experiencing severe side effects, you have to come in. Vomiting will go away within a couple weeks, since I know that’s the one the effects you the most. Since I have you on Lithium, you need to come in once a week for blood tests. If you experience a high fever, a rash, or slurred speech you need to come in as soon as possible, Gong Tae Kwang. Take each combination after each meal. After dinner, just take the last doses right before bed. That will lessen the intensity of the side effects during the day.” I keenly listened to Dr. Ji explain the doses and possible side effects of my medication. My phone was out and my nimble thumbs were typing away her explanations, so I didn’t forget them. Suddenly silence filled the office space when she ceased her talking. I looked up to find Dr. Ji staring at me pensively.   

 

“You’re doing really well, Tae Kwang.” I looked down with a halfhearted smile on my lips, wishing that it were coming from parents instead of Dr. Ji. My own parents didn’t even care about me.

 

“Thank you. How long would it take before the side effects kick in?” I asked her, worried about having to take more sick days from my uni lectures. I also had to worry about the fact that I wouldn’t be able to physically perform well during judo practice due to the medications for the first couple of weeks.  

 

“It’s different from everyone, so I can’t say. Also the drug combination may interact adversely. But the Wellbutrin should work smoothly for you and the Lithium you already know its effects. Also throw away your old medicine, so that you don’t confuse it for your current one.”

 

I jiggled the key into the keyhole, opening the door to an empty complex. Not that I wasn’t used to it. I shuffled into my quiet bedroom, sitting down on the mattress with the paper prescription bag clenched in my hand.  

 

I glanced down at my torn knuckles, remembering the altercation I instigated yesterday. Closing my eyes, I sighed. Lee Minhyuk, the bastard that got under my skin. I have to apologize to a scumbag like him. The fight was indeed a result of me spiraling out of control, therefore I must be held accountable for my actions, which meant that I had to apologize to MinHyuk.

 

The following week, I made sure to keep track of my symptoms and emailed my professors that I had a situation that kept me absent. So after dozens of emails back and forth with every one of my professors, I completed my coursework in the safety of my apartment. Just because I wasn’t attending my lectures for the week didn’t mean that I could slack off my responsibilities. Every morning I woke up at the usual time and made sure to do the coursework.

 

It was as though I was a recluse. For an entire week I stayed home monitoring my symptoms, working out, doing all the work I was supposed to be doing, and only left the house for my blood tests at the hospital. My phone kept blowing up with thousands of message from my judo team members, friends, and Joy, but I simply didn’t pay them any attention. I couldn't even bother to come up with exuses. I needed this respite.

 

Every time I took my doses I became dreadful of when the side effects would appear, for they could become very nasty. Even the mere thought of it was enough to disgust me. My insomnia returned, alerting me that the side effects were nearing.

 

“Ahh!” I exclaimed, my hand instantly going to my temple as my vision became spotty. A dull throbbing sensation aggravated me along with my blurry vision. The computer screen in front of me became blurry. Despite the crushing pain I attempted to focus on the words in front of me, yet the words were falling off the screen. I reacted with exasperation at the onset of the side effects. My insomnia kept me up at night, darkening my dark circles and worsening my pallid complexion that greeted me in the mirror.

 

Tears fell into the toilet along with the contents of my meager breakfast as my throat lurched with bark spewing from up my throat. The veins in my neck were now prominent from my strained neck as I vomited into the toilet. Then suddenly I heard banging on the door.

 

“Oppa! I know you’re in there! Please let me in! Let me in, please! Tae Kwang! Let me in!” Joy’s voice ranged in my ears while I desperately wished that she would never find out about this. I hated every aspect of this. I despised it. I knew that this would happen, but I was only able to see the future me improving.

 

“It’s okay, Tae Kwang. Everything will be okay.” I reminded myself with Joy’s words ringing in my ears. I collapsed to my feet on the floor, drained of energy. Helplessness returned.

 

My physical state was weak, prompting me to email my professors for another week’s worth of coursework.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter