Chapter 10

One Day, Long Ago
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joy’s POV

The first thing in the morning, my mom slapped my arm multiple times as she scolded me for drinking too much at the club.

 

“You couldn’t even walk straight when your sunbae dropped you off last night! What am I going to do with you!” 

 

“I won’t do it again.” I groaned, parched and craving for water when my mom tilted a cup of water onto my chapped lips. “Wait! Mom, did you just say my Sunbae dropped me off? Not Oppa?”


“Your Sunbae. I think her name was Lee Eun Bi. Anyway if you come home like that one more time, you’re going to be in big trouble.” My mom left my room, shaking her head at me. Although Eun Bi and I got off on the wrong foot, I was grateful for the fact that she took me home last night.

 

She truly is a kind girl, but it was exactly those traits that instilled jealously within me. Even if a girl found her charming, guys would admire her even more. She has got the looks, personality, and the brain. My mother has always told me not to compare myself to other girls, because only I could me. Of course if Eun Bi was just another girl, then I obviously wouldn’t care. However Eun Bi wasn’t just another girl, but Tae Kwang’s first love. The first love that he can’t ever forget. 

 

I laid down onto my comfy bed once again to relieve the slight headache I was experiencing. I was compelled to never drink so much again due to the nasty aftermath of a night of drinking. But I couldn’t promise that I wouldn’t go to clubs, since they were too fun.

 

I grabbed my phone off the bedside table to see a text from Tae Kwang. A smile formed on my lips as I quickly replied. I sat in my bed waiting for another text to arrive from my kind boyfriend when nothing came and it remained that way the entire day. Not a single text from my boyfriend came. It somehow caused uneasiness within me.

 

“Will you stop drilling holes into your phone already? You’ve been staring at your phone for hours. Are you expecting an important call?” My mother asked when I sat down at the dinner table with my phone next to me.

 

“It’s not that…” I mumbled, eating a spoonful of rice with frustration.

 

The more I continued to think about it, the more I grew apprehensive and filled with unease. Every single call that went to voicemail only fueled my unsettled feelings more. Before it wasn’t this bad. People knew that I was Tae Kwang’s girlfriend, so there weren’t as many girls flirting with him all the time, but even then I was always on edge with the fact that he could easily dump me to date another girl his age.

 

Then Eun Bi came into the picture. The moment he received that letter in the mail, I witnessed a side of him that he has never shown me. He was so delicately earnest toward her.

 

 Sitting beside him in the lecture, I wanted to ask Tae Kwang why he hadn’t answered my calls or texts over the weekend. Then In Ho motioned him over to his seat, needing to tell him something.

 

I took a look at his unattended phone to see if it was working or not. If it was broken, then I would understand why he didn’t bother to call me back. Leaning ever so slightly toward his side, I tapped in the passcode he once told me and swiped through his used apps. The last app was the photo one. I clicked on it to discover a ton of goofy selfies of kids on his phone and then one in particular caught my eye. It was a picture of Eun Bi and Tae Kwang and they were joking around in a kitchen. I closed my eyes, letting out a very deep breath.

 

In fear of getting caught in the act, I made sure to leave the phone exactly like I found it and pretended to be fiddling with my own phone. Tae Kwang hurried back to his seat once the professor walked into the room.

 

Toward the end of the lecture our professor reminded us to turn in our themed essays by Thursday and then everyone groaned. I was expecting an exam and but not an essay. In my opinion, exams were easier than writing essays, for you have to put thought into your writing. 

 

Oppa and I were walking out of class when I saw Eun Bi leaving the building a couple feet away.

 

“Eun Bi shi! Eun Bi shi!” I ran ahead in an attempt to catch up to her, leaving Tae Kwang to follow behind. However there were too many students shuffling out the doors that I lost sight of her.  Tae Kwang came up

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter