Chapter 2

The weight of a decision

Thank you to everyone who commented on and subscribed to this, I'm glad that people are enjoying what i'm writing :)

 

Seungri woke up on an unfamiliar sofa. For a few blissful moments he simply enjoyed being comfortable, until the memories of earlier rushed into his head and he was suddenly very, very aware of his surroundings. He opened his eyes to see Kibum and Jonghyun on another sofa a few metres away talking quietly among themselves. As he watched, Jonghyun glanced over to him and noticed that he was awake. Jonghyun stood up and rushed over to him, asking, "Are you alright, Seunghyun? You banged your head pretty badly when you fell."

As Jonghyun said this, Seungri became aware of a dull throbbing in the back of his head, and grimaced. Avoiding the question - after all, he didn't know Jonghyun well at all - he chose to reply with a question of his own, asking how long he'd been out for. Jonghyun was quick to reassure him that it had only been a few minutes, and in the middle of his explanation, Taemin walked quickly in front of Jonghyun holding a glass of water. "This is for you, hyung," he said with a big smile. Slightly weirded out by Taemin's enthusiasm, given that they had met perhaps only briefly at music shows, Seungri accepted the water anyway, as it wouldn't do to make other idols think that he was an ungrateful person.

He drank the water awkwardly, under the stares of the three others in the room. They might be under the delusion that he knew them, but he knew that he definitely didn't, other than naming them. He began to wonder if this was one of Seunghyun hyung's pranks, and he began to look around the room for hidden cameras. The members of SHINee didn't look like they were acting, but Seunghyun hyung and Jiyong hyung had been known to go to great lengths to annoy him. He got up from the sofa and, ignoring the others who watched him curiously, began to look under tables and chairs and anywhere he could think of that would hide a camera.

"Hyung... what are you looking for?" Taemin asked confusedly. A shock of annoyance ran through Seungri's body. If this was a prank, then it was going too far to allow these people to address him so familiarly. Turning around from the drawer he had been inspecting, he curtly asked, "what did Seunghyun hyung promise you for doing this?" Taemin, Jonghyun and Kibum looked very confused at this. Very slowly, Jonghyun walked over to him and put a hand gently on his shoulder. "Maybe you should go sit down, Seunghyun. No-one has made us do anything. And you aren't close to anyone else called Seunghyun."

Seungri pulled his shoulder away harshly. "What are you talking about?" he asked, "of course I am, I'm close to T.O.P - you know, my bandmate?" Kibum frowned and walked over to join them, with Taemin trailing behind him. He put his hand on Seungri's other shoulder and shook it. "This isn't funny any more, Seunghyun. There's no kpop group member called TOP, and you're in OUR group. You have been for seven years now." Seungri internally fumed. How far were they willing to take this? T.O.P and Bigbang were two of the biggest names in kpop, it was ridiculous to even pretend like they didn't exist. He began to shout half-sentences at no-one in particular - "WHAT DO YOU MEAN-" "-LIKE THAT'S EVEN POSSIBLE" "JIYONG HYUNG WOULD-".

What stopped his rambling mess was Taemin coming back into the room (he hadn't even noticed him leave, he was so busy being dramatic) carrying a poster. While Seungri recognised this as a SHINee poster, what caught his attention was the fact that there were six group members, not five. And that extra member was himself. While his eyes went very wide, he was quite proud of himself for not fainting again. He stared at his own face staring out of the poster, a picture of him that he had never had taken. It was odd, but at the same time he looked like he fitted with this group.

He looked back up at the others, who were still looking at him with looks of concern. At that moment, Onew walked back in the room, along with Minho. "You're awake!" he cried. "How are you feeling, Seunghyun?" Before, Seungri could answer, Kibum spoke for him. "He's fine, he was just playing a game with us. Weren't you, Seunghyun?" Kibum turned around and glared at Seungri. With his suspicions about potential pranks fading with the lack of cameras and evidence of him being in a different group, in a different entertainment company, he began to think that this might be more than simply some people playing a trick on him.

Deciding to play along, as it was clear that he wasn't going to be able to convince these people that he didn't have any memories of being in this group, he nodded his head, which caused the others to smile, presumably in relief.

"So, shall we go, leader?" Onew asked him, smiling. "Ah... yes." Was his eloquent reply. "Where is it that we're going again?" he asked tentatively. Taemin laughed - no, giggled - and answered "Hyung, we're going to dance practice, remember? Isn't the leader supposed to know these things?" Seungri struggled for an answer. "Um... well... you see..." fortunately Minho rescued him from this unfortunate fate by teasing him, "it must have been that knock on his head he got when he fainted!" This comment caused the others to laugh, and took the attention off him as they began to leave the dorm.

Seungri quickly realised that he had no idea where he was, and was glad that he hadn't tried to leave earlier. Who knows what could have happened to him? He would have been lost by himself. He did his best to stay at the back of the group and was grateful that none of the others tried to talk to him. He could feel his head still hurting, and while he was fine with having to dance, he used the time it took for them to walk to the building with the dance practice rooms in to try to remember the dances to any of SHINee's songs. He could remember parts of them, but because he had never paid a huge amount of attention, he could not remember much of the details. Of course, it didn't help that in the music videos he was familiar with, there were only five members, not six.

As they climbed the stairs, Seungri felt himself get more and more nervous. It wasn't often that he did get nervous, but then again, he'd never been in a situation like this before. When they reached the room, Seungri looked around it curiously. Just like the dorms, it was familiar yet different - all dance rooms looked vaguely the same, but he'd never been in this one. Taemin and Jonghyun went to help the choreographer set up the music, and Seungri stood around awkwardly watching everyone else know what to do. He almost felt sorry for the choreographer, who was going to have to witness a very, very bad performance on his part.

The others began to stand in formation, and it was clear that this was going to be a well rehearsed performance from them, which made the imminent disaster that was going to be his performance even worse. As soon as the music started, Seungri knew that this wasn't a song of theirs he'd heard before. This meant that he had no chance of having a remote clue as to the choreography, and he neatly sidestepped being walked into as the other members walked in a circle for a few paces. As they began to dance in earnest, Seungri had to use all his skill as a dancer to attempt to copy the moves that the others were doing.

It didn't take long for the choreographer to notice that he wasn't dancing properly, and the music was turned off quickly. "What's up with you today Seunghyun? Yesterday you knew this dance inside out," the choreographer criticised. He tried to think of some excuse that he could give, and realised that his fainting earlier and subsequent headache was a very good excuse. He was about to say so, when Taemin beat him to it. "Seunghyun hyung fainted earlier, seonsaengnim. He might still not be well." Taemin smiled at him, and although it still felt weird having someone he barely knew calling him hyung, he appreciated having someone who would stand up for him. If he'd fainted in front of Jiyong hyung, he'd have been the of jokes for the next week.

The choreographer looked thoughtful. "Well, I suppose he can sit this session out. We don't want you getting sick during promotions," he said. Seungri gratefully moved to sit at the edge of the studio, glad that he wouldn't have to embarrass himself any more for now. He watched as the others did the dance without him, trying to learn as much of the choreography and lyrics of the song as he could. It sounded as if he was going to have to perform this onstage at some point, and although he might be ok with making mistakes in the studio, he was a perfectionist and didn't want to embarrass himself in front of the nation.

By the time they were done practicing, Seungri was fairly certain he could give this dance a go if he needed. The others began to pack up, and the choreographer spoke to them, "don't be late tomorrow, we still need to practice the ending." He looked at Seungri. "And make sure you're able to dance tomorrow. I need to know that you're capable of doing this dance still." Seungri felt himself blushing. It wasn't often that he had that kind of criticism on his dancing any more.

It was as they left the dance practice room that his situation really hit him. He seemed to almost be in another world, in a different kpop group, and he was going to have to perform onstage with them at some unknown point in the future. He groaned. He hoped that there were no more surprises that could be thrown at him.