Chapter 24

The weight of a decision

I know, I'm shocked that I'm updating so soon too. Enjoy :)

 

Seungri practically skipped down the pavement. He finally had someone who believed in his story, and it lifted such a weight off his shoulders. Now at least one person would understand when he made his weird mistakes, and it would feel better to know that not everyone was laughing at him.

Jonghyun was trying to keep up with Seungri's exuberance, and ran up behind him to catch him up. "Slow down, Seungri," he laughed. It made Seungri happier than it should have done to hear Jonghyun calling him that. It had been an interesting experience to explain to him why he didn't want to be called Seunghyun, at least while they were around the others.

"If I could ask you a favour..." Seungri began. Jonghyun nodded, and so he continued. "Would you mind calling me Seungri? When it's just us, I mean?"

The first thing Jonghyun did was laugh. A lot. Once he got his breath back, he questioned it. "The same name that Daesung has? Why would you want me to call you that?"

"For me it's not the same name that Daesung hyung has though!! Seungri exclaimed. "It's my stage name, and... I prefer being called that to 'Seunghyun'."

Jonghyun raised his eyebrows. "It's really not? Huh, I guess that explains why you were so weird about it at first. But even Daesung doesn't use it in place of his name, why is it different for you?"

Seungri shrugged. "My real name, it reminds me too much of my early years in the industry. I just prefer being called Seungri instead."

"Okay... Seungri. I can call you that." Seungri smiled. It would be good to bring a little bit of familiarity to this world.

Having Jonghyun on his side hadn't been all plain sailing though. The day after Seungri had revealed his secret people had begun to realise that Jonghyun wasn't mad at him any more. It had provoked a stronger reaction than Seungri had thought it would.

Seungri and Jonghyun were messing around in the kitchen, threatening to throw ingredients at each other. "I swear if you don't stop laughing this box of cereal is going straight over your head," Seungri threatened, laughing as he did.

A loud coughing noise came from the other side of the kitchen, and Seungri turned to see Kibum stood there, tapping his foot. He made a 'come hither' motion at Jonghyun, who sighed and walked slowly over.

Seungri stood to the side of the kitchen, pretending not to pay attention - he was already in the bad books of everyone else. he didn't need to make things worse. "What are you doing?" He heard Kibum hiss. "I thought we agreed that we wouldn't talk to him until he apologised."

Seungri saw Jonghyun glance over at him. "I know, but I need you to trust me, there's more at stake here. Please?" He replied quietly.

Kibum just glared at Jonghyun. Seungri felt bad, he'd caused enough mean feelings as it was. "Why can't you tell me?" Kibum asked.

Jonghyun shrugged. "I can't tell you, it's a secret that I promised not to tell to anyone. Not even you."

"Fine, but you are so sleeping on the sofa tonight," Kibum said as he walked away.

Once Kibum was gone, Jonghyun turned back to Seungri and shrugged. They smiled at each other, and Seungri was sure that they'd be okay.

"Where should we go next?" Seungri asked cheerfully.

Jonghyun shrugged. "I don't know, where do you want to go next?" He parroted back.

"Hmm..." Seungri thought about it for a second. "I don't know... let's just have a look around. We've already bought some stuff, after all. This way!"

Seungri sped off down the pavement, allowing Jonghyun to try to catch up with him. Their relationship had really improved since their conversation yesterday. In fact, Seungri would say that things were better than they had been, since Jonghyun had spent so much time being suspicious of his weird behaviour before.

"Tell me more about your world, Seungri," Jonghyun demanded.

Seungri laughed. "It's not that different, don't act like it's some dystopian universe where everything is terrible." Jonghyun smacked his shoulder.

"You know that's not what I meant," he laughed, "what's the setup that you have then?"

Seungri shrugged. "I'm part of YG entertainment - we're a group called Bigbang. We're pretty successful, you know," he bragged.

"And who is 'we', exactly?" Jonghyun asked. He sounded genuinely curious, and like he was believing what Seungri was telling him.

"Me, Jiyong hyung, Youngbae hyung, Daesung hyung and Seunghyun hyung."

"Who's Seunghyun? And what about Hyunseung, is he a solo artist or something?" The fact that Jonghyun was asking questions was a good thing, right?

"Do you remember a few weeks ago when I came home drunk and I'd been with a friend?" Jonghyun nodded. "Well that was Seunghyun hyung. Or at least, him here, y'know. And Hyunseung didn't debut with us, he ended up being kicked out of the training process and debuted with a different company."

Jonghyun's eyes were wide. "Woah... that's so weird," he muttered. "I can't imagine it, I really can't. Seungri - I mean, Daesung, and Hyunseung make such a good duo. And so do Jiyong and Youngbae! How does it even all work? Their musical styles are so different!"

Seungri laughed, of course it would seem weird to anyone that hadn't seen it. "Jiyong and Seunghyun write our music, and it just works. Daesung is capable of singing more than ballads, you know."

Jonghyun nodded, clearly trying to imagine it all. "But... how did you become a trainee at YG in the first place? What happened? I'm sure you didn't audition for YG in this universe."

Seungri shook his head. "I auditioned for many places, including SM, but YG was the only company that accepted me for training after I was on a tv show. I guess that's what made the difference, I clearly did better at my SM audition."

"I don't know whether you did anything different in your audition, but I don't think that's it," Jonghyun disagreed. "From what I know, you were just really persistent about getting into SM, and bugged them until you got to be a trainee. I take it that you didn't try harder to get into SM?"

"You're right, I didn't do that... funny how such a small decision could make such a difference." Seungri remarked. Then he thought of something. "Hey hyung... why exactly were you so confused about... what happened yesterday? It felt like it was more than just being over upsetting Taemin."

Jonghyun sighed. "You're right." His eyes flicked towards the door, and he shuffled a bit closer to Seungri on the bed. "I don't think the others know about this, but a few weeks before you came here you - or Seunghyun, rather, told me a secret. He liked Taemin back. That's why I was so surprised, because I thought that if you - he - liked him, so he wouldn't have rejected Taemin. And I think Taemin knew it too, which is why he was upset."

Well, that explained a lot. And it also didn't help Seungri in any way, because he couldn't pretend to have those feelings like Seunghyun did, that would just be cruel. He'd just have to keep acting like he'd changed his mind, and hope that Taemin wouldn't hold it against him too much.

"Wait up, Seunghyun!" Jonghyun called from behind him, sounding winded, but not serious.

Seungri half turned around to shout back at him. "No, you hurry up, try to catch me!"

As Seungri turned back around, he bumped into someone hard. Only just catching himself from falling, he stuck his hand out to help up the other guy, who wasn't so lucky. It wasn't until they were face to face that he saw who it was that he'd knocked over.

"You again? I should have known," Jiyong snarked.

Seungri folded over into a deep bow. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to Jiyong sunbae." He figured that the sooner he apologised, the sooner he could try to get into Jiyong's good books again. As he straightened up from the bow, he noticed that Jonghyun had caught up with him, eyes wide, taking the situation in.

"Sunbae?" Jiyong said, sounding surprised. "I thought last time we met I told you that you could call me hyung?"

"But... I made you mad the last time we met. Remember?" Seungri said tentatively. "I thought you would have changed your mind about calling you hyung."

Jiyong laughed. "People make mistakes all the time, Seunghyun. Don't worry about it, I'm not mad." Seungri breathed a silent sigh of relief.

"So, hyung, what are you doing out here?" Seungri asked.

"Oh, I was just out doing some window shopping, nothing in particular. You?"

"Jonghyun and I were pretty much doing the same." At this Jonghyun gave a small bow to Jiyong, who smiled. "We were pretty much done with it though, I think - do you want to go for coffee or something?" Seungri was hopeful that this time a conversation with Jiyong would actually turn out well for once.

They quickly found a secluded coffee shop, and settled in with their drinks.

"So how has your comeback been going, Jiyong sunbae?" Jonghyun asked after a moment of silence.

Jiyong waved a hand dismissively. "You can call me hyung too, Jonghyun." This made Jonghyun smile very widely. "But it's been going well, Youngbae and I are pleased with the sales, and the fans seem to like it, and that's what matters, right?" He shrugged. "What about yours?"

"Oh..." Seungri shared a look with Jonghyun. "It's been going okay, hasn't it Jonghyun?" Seungri answered. Jonghyun nodded.

Seungri began to think. At this point he'd seen all of the other members of Bigbang in this universe, and it seemed like only Jiyong and Youngbae were close. Of course, it was possible that Daesung was close to them as well, but he couldn't be sure of that since they weren't in the same group here.

In fact, the only member of Bigbang, other than himself, who wouldn't have had unlimited access to all the others was Seunghyun hyung. But of course, Seunghyun hyung and Jiyong hyung had been friends when they were younger, hadn't they? Was it possible that he could get them to meet?

"Jiyong hyung... this might be a weird question to ask, but did you have a friend called Seunghyun that you used to rap with when you were younger?" Seungri asked. He was sure that the timelines of their two universes would be the same at that time, but he couldn't be completely sure. He'd been sure that when Seunghyun had told him that story that he was talking about Jiyong, but as Seungri asked he began to doubt himself.

Jiyong raised his eyebrows. "I did, yeah. Wow... it's been a long time since I've thought about him. Choi Seunghyun... huh." He looked thoughtful, but Seungri was just happy that things were going the way he'd hoped. "Wait," Jiyong continued, "why do you want to know?"

"Uh... well a few weeks ago I... ran into a man of that description, and he said that he... knew you, and I thought that you might want to, y'know, meet up, catch up, that sort of thing. Maybe. Y'know. If you want to." Seungri was still unsure about this.

"Wow, I... I don't know," Jiyong replied. "I mean, it's been so long since I've seen him, I don't even know if we'd get along now. What was he like?" He asked.

"You'd definitely get along!" Seungri said a bit to quickly. He coughed, and tried to calm his enthusiasm. "I mean, when I met him he was rapping, and you like rapping, that's something in common, right?"

Jiyong nodded thoughtfully. "You're right, that was what we always shared a love for. Where did you say you met him?"

Seungri have him the address of the place, and added, "I hope you find him." After all, if there was some good he could do in this universe, it would be to bring two of his friends together.