Chapter 9

The weight of a decision

That night, Seungri found that he couldn't sleep. He tossed and he turned, but he couldn't get comfortable and he couldn't make his brain shut up. The fact that he had been unsuccessful at finding out what his friend did in this world kept bugging him, and he couldn't help but try to think of ways he could find him. Perhaps if he just walked around the city enough he would bump into him? It was possible, but with the fact that he got hardly any free time, it would be unlikely that he'd be able to find the time to do it. He struggled to think of where the pre-bigbang Seunghyun would have spent his time, but his sleep deprived brain returned him nothing.

He eventually fell into an uneasy sleep, and dreamed that he was back in his own house, with his Bigbang members there. It was what an ordinary day with his friends would be - relaxed, mostly, with teasing and in jokes with people he'd known for 10 years. Even his dreaming mind recognised that he missed spending time with them while he was away in the other world. He woke up with a bitter taste in his mouth, and found that he was not in a good mood.

When Taemin came up to him to ask if he slept well, he snapped that he hadn't, thank you very much, and the look of hurt disappointment on Taemin's face was almost enough to snap him out of this mood - but not quite.

The rest of his day continued in a similar manner - his mood made it difficult for him to get any dance moves right, and his inability to hit the right notes resulted in at least a minute of screaming. The other members kept clear of him, which he was grateful for, but it suggested that the Seungri of this world also had days like this. Seungri was unsure about whether this was reassuring or not.

The evening came around very slowly. It felt as though his day couldn't have ended quickly enough, yet he found that he still had plenty of energy. It was only 8 o'clock, it wasn't that late. Most of the members were relaxing in their own ways - watching TV, playing video games - but Seungri felt the urge to go out. Picking up his phone and wallet, he crept out of the front door of the dorm, not wanting anyone to see him leave.

As he wandered the streets, he felt his mind wander too. He finally stopped walking when he realised that he had walked past the nicer area of Seoul in which the dorm was located into a... less savoury area. As he stared at the outside of a shady-looking bar, he saw a notice which was stuck in the corner of the grimy window. 'Open mic tonight! Share your tempo with the crowd!' Seungri frowned. Tempo... tempo.... that word was so familiar to him for some reason.

His eyes widened as he finally made the connection. Of course! That was the stage name that Seunghyun hyung had used before he joined YG. Maybe this was what he was doing with his life here - after all, Seungri couldn't imagine Seunghyun hyung not rapping.

He eyed the bar doubtfully. Although this was his new hypothesis, there was no guarantee of which bar Seunghyun hyung would be at. There would be hundreds, if not thousands of places just like this which he could be at. Seungri sighed. Well... he may as well start looking now. He walked into the bar, and paid the small fee to get into the lower level where the performing area was. He spent the next half an hour walking around the room and trying to look casual. Despite his best efforts, he couldn't see Seunghyun hyung anywhere. He steeled himself for going through this as many times as was necessary to find his friend.

The result in the next bar was much the same, as was the next. By the time Seungri left the fourth, he was slightly tipsy, and his memories of the bars were beginning to blur into one. He wandered around until he found another potential candidate. He began to go through the motions again of wandering around the room trying to spot that familiar face. As the MC began to introduce the next performer, Seungri turned around to see Seunghyun stepping up to the stage.

Seungri's eyes widened in surprise as he took in how Seunghyun hyung looked in this world. His clothes were the 'hoodie and baggy jeans' style which he had preferred at the time of their debut, his hair was shaggy and unkempt looking. He would have looked almost the same as he had done in around 2009 if it were not due to one thing. Seunghyun was still overweight.

As he began to rap, Seungri noticed more differences between the Seunghyun that he knew and this one. This one's style was less polished, presumably due to a lack of professional coaching, and the lyrics with which he rapped were darker, more suited to this dank place than an international stage. Nevertheless, he found himself enjoying the performance, which, although slightly different, was still in the T.O.P signature style.

After Seunghyun hyung was finished, Seungri stopped paying any attention to the performers. His focus was entirely on the man who had taken up residence at the bar in the corner, surrounded by friends who looked to be praising him. Clearly he was not the only one who could see how talented Seunghyun was, and he seemed to be popular. In addition, guessing by the amount of empty glasses in front of him at the bar, this Seunghyun looked to be just as good with his alcohol as the one that he knew.

Seungri began to walk over to the bar - now that he'd found Seunghyun he should probably do something about it. Trying to seem nonchalant, he ordered a drink while side-eyeing Seunghyun hyung the whole time. He made sure to sit down next to Seunghyun, hoping to be able to make conversation with him, if his admirers would leave him alone. It seemed that Seunghyun was somewhat of an underground celebrity.

Seungri spent a minute sipping his drink and trying to think how to start a conversation with Seunghyun. 'Hi, I'm a good friend of yours in another universe!' probably wouldn't go down too well, and neither would 'You should have joined YG Entertainment 10 years ago'. Perhaps he could compliment his performance? Comment on his stage name?

Seungri jumped as he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around to see that it was Seunghyun hyung, who had turned away from his friends. "You keep looking at me," Seunghyun said, frowning slightly. Seungri gulped - he thought that he'd got away with that. "Um... I just wanted to talk to you?" He replied, mentally cursing when it came out like a question.

Seungri was surprised when Seunghyun's reply was "well alright then," as he began to walk to a quieter corner of the room. Seungri scrambled to get off his chair and follow Seunghyun, nearly tripping over his own feet in his haste. He finally caught up to Seunghyun when he had reached the quieter area already, and he raised an eyebrow at Seungri.

"What did you want to talk about then?" Seunghyun asked. Seungri froze as his mind went blank. He hadn't completely decided what he was going to say before his thought processes were interrupted by Seunghyun hyung. "I... I just really wanted to say that I liked your rapping," was the first thing that came out of Seungri's mouth. Seunghyun began to smirk. "I mean that I just wanted to tell you... to tell you..." Seungri trailed off as he realised that Seunghyun had realised that he didn't have anything specific to say.

Seunghyun chuckled. Seungri tried again, with a simple "what's your name?" Obviously Seungri did know his name, but he definitely didn't want Seunghyun hyung to know that. As far as Seunghyun was concerned, they were two strangers who had only met tonight, and Seungri was going to keep it that way. He didn't need more people thinking that he was demented. When Seunghyun replied with his name, Seungri took the opportunity to laugh a little. "Hey, we have the same name," Seungri told Seunghyun with a smile.

"What a coincidence," Seunghyun remarked, "although I did already know who you are." Seungri was very confused for a split second, before he realised that of course, he was a idol, it shouldn't be surprising when people know who he is. "Look, I appreciate you liking my music, I really do, but I don't think this is your kind of... scene, Seunghyun." Seunghyun patted Seungri's shoulder in a kind but slightly patronising way. "I think it would be better if you went home, kid." And with that, Seunghyun stepped away, and went back to his friends at the bar.

Seungri stood spluttering slightly in the corner for a good minute. Kid? He was 26, he wasn't a kid! Besides, this bar wasn't that bad... was it? After he calmed down and collected his thoughts, he decided to leave. The bar may not have been that bad, but it was 1am, and besides, he'd accomplished what he'd wanted to. He could always come back again, and prove that he wasn't a kid.

He walked out onto the street, and for the first time noticed just how cold it was. He wrapped his arms around himself, and tried to remember which way was back to the dorm. He shrugged, and turned to go right. Surely he'd find his way back eventually. As he walked, he noticed that the quality of the buildings around him was getting lower and lower. There was more graffiti, and more boarded up windows. Perhaps it had been the other way? Seungri made a U-turn and began to walk back the way he came.

Just as he was passing the bar in which he had found Seunghyun, Seungri spotted a familiar face across the street. He looked around for somewhere to hide, but alas, there was nowhere, unless he wanted to run. Seungri fixed a smile on his face as Jinki crossed the road and walked up to him. How could he explain his way out of this one?

"Hey Seunghyun," Jinki greeted him casually. Seungri was slightly confused, but played along with it. "Hey Jinki hyung... come here often?" Seungri cringed the moment the words left his mouth. Jinki raised an eyebrow. "No, I don't, and I'm certain you don't either. Why are you here?"

The words tumbled out of Seungri's mouth before he could think about them. "Well, you see, I was just trying to scope out new types of music... to see what the underground scene is like... it was just this one time... there was one rapper...". Jinki looked thoroughly unimpressed by this answer, but didn't seem to be angry with him. He put an arm around Seungri's shoulders, and began to guide him in the direction of their dorm, which was a good thing as Seungri had got himself completely and utterly lost.

As Seungri got into bed, although it was late and he was tired, he felt pretty happy. He had accomplished something which had been bothering him, and now he knew what his friend was doing in this world. He could only hope that interactions with his other Bigbang members would go so well.