Chapter 16

The weight of a decision

I apologise for being gone for so long, I had essays for uni that took up more time than I'd have liked -_- but anyway, enjoy :)

 

Seungri was beginning to wonder what he was doing. It was a Saturday night, the bar was packed, and it was difficult to find room to breathe, never mind move. There were people on his every side, which was making it almost impossible to fulfil his mission of finding Seunghyun hyung again.

Not that he'd had much luck with that so far anyway. An hour of searching at this small bar that Seungri had last met Seunghyun in had proved to be fruitless, and Seungri was perhaps a little more tipsy than he'd like to be for meeting Seunghyun again.

Seungri began to consider just giving up and going home. After all, there was no guarantee that he would even be here tonight. He downed the rest of his drink, and turned to leave the bar. Maybe he could try again another night? He was about to begin to push his way through the thick crowd of people, when an overly enthusiastic MC announced that they were going to be having an open mic for the next few hours. "And our first performer is - you all know him - Tempo!"

Seungri spun back around quickly. He was looking forward to seeing Seunghyun perform as Tempo again, and he was relieved that he wouldn't have to try to find Seunghyun again another time. The rap that was performed was like the last one that Seungri had heard from him - less polished than the raps that TOP managed to produce, but still good and still in the same style that he was used to.

Seungri found himself tapping his foot on the floor in time to the beat of the rap. The others around him seemed to be enjoying it too - Tempo seemed to be popular, judging by the shouts of encouragement coming from them. Some of them were even joining in, suggesting that this song was performed at least semi-frequently.

The groans that the crowd let out when Tempo was finished showed how popular he was. As he stepped off the stage, he was surrounded by people congratulating him - Seungri had no chance of getting anywhere near him, try as he might.

Seungri spent the next half an hour sat watching Seunghyun from across the bar. Would Seunghyun even recognise him? They'd only met briefly, after all. How should he approach Seunghyun? Should he just walk up to him? Seungri worried over this while he listened to the rapper that had come on after Seunghyun. Although Seungri could be considered to be biased, he thought that Tempo had been far superior to the other rappers.

Seungri hadn't noticed the rapping stopping, but he did notice when the MC asked whether anyone wanted to take the next spot. That would be a great way to make Seunghyun notice him, by impressing him with his own rap skills. Pushing his way to the front of the crowd, Seungri raised his hand to signal that he'd like to give it a go.

Despite the amount of people standing around him that clearly also wanted a chance on the stage, somehow Seungri was picked. He was ushered up onto the stage, and had a microphone shoved into his hand. In the excitement of hopefully trying to get Seunghyun to notice him, Seungri had forgotten about one essential ingredient of going on stage. A song.

Since Seungri certainly didn't have the skill at rap to make one up on the spot, he did the next best thing. He chose to do a rap he knew well, from hearing it so many times. Turn it up, by TOP.

Putting on his best deep voice - perfected through many years of imitation - Seungri proceeded to rap as best as he could without the backing track. Because it didn't exist here. He tried his best to do all the cool rap hand gestures that he'd watched Seunghyun and Jiyong do over the years, and frankly Seungri was sure that he was doing brilliantly. The crowd was cheering along - although that could have just been because most of them were very drunk.

Seungri stepped off the stage. That hadn't gone too badly - most of the crowd seem to have enjoyed it. But had Seunghyun enjoyed it? That was its main purpose, after all. Finally, after a minute of looking, he finally spotted Seunghyun sat at the bar. They made eye contact, which Seungri broke first. In the time that Seungri had been looking at him, however, Seunghyun had seemed to look more confused than anything else, and Seungri hoped that he hadn't overstepped his boundaries.

Seungri took a deep breath. He needed to calm down. Despite trying to seem confident as much as possible, it could often be an act. He decided to go and talk to Seunghyun. There was no point in wowing him with his amazing rapping skills if he didn't go to talk to him after, right?

He pushed his way through the crowd to where Seunghyun was sitting, and tapped him on the shoulder. Seunghyun looked up, and smiled when he saw Seungri standing there. "Hey Seunghyun. Nice rap, although I didn't expect to see you here again."

Seungri chuckled nervously. "Yes, well, I fancied going out for the night, and I... I ended up here," he explained. Seunghyun smirked. "Really? You seemed eager to get onstage for someone who just wanted to go out."

"Ah... well I did want to talk to you too, maybe. If that's alright?" Given the rejection he'd received the last time he spoke to Seunghyun, he was more nervous than he may have been otherwise. Seunghyun hesitated for a second, then nodded and stood up, picking up the drinks he had sat on the bar top. He then motioned for Seungri to follow him. Feeling a slight amount of deja vu, Seungri trailed after him, feeling relieved when they reached a table that was tucked away in the corner.

Seunghyun put down his drinks, one in front of Seungri and the other in front of himself. "So what did you want to talk about?" Seunghyun asked. Seungri had been so focused on the prospect of talking to Seunghyun that he'd forgotten to think ahead about what he would actually say. Seungri used taking a sip of the drink as a way to buy time.

"I just want to know more about you, I guess," was the best he could come up with. Seunghyun raised an eyebrow. "Like what?" He asked.

"Um.. well, you're a rapper - what got you into rap?" Seungri asked. Seunghyun laughed.

"I can't imagine you being very interested in rap, Seunghyun. But if you must know, I had a friend when I was younger who I used to listen to rap with. I'm not in contact with him any more, but it was when I was with him that I really got into rap." This was nothing that Seungri didn't know already. The time that Seunghyun had described had happened in his universe too, it didn't help him understand the version of Seunghyun in front of him.

"Well did you never think about going into the idol industry? Why do you prefer rapping in places like this?" Seungri tried to dig a little deeper. This made Seunghyun laugh - a lot. Seungri took another drink while he waited for Seunghyun to stop laughing.

When Seunghyun finally stopped, he got round to answering the questions. "No offence to you, being an idol and all, but do I look like I'd fit in with the other idols? No, I'd rather rap here, about things that matter to me, where I can choose exactly what I want to do. Being an idol would sort of be my worst nightmare." Well this was... not that surprising. This Seunghyun had had an extra ten years of being an underground rapper, there would be no reason for him to want to come out of that.

"But are you sure that you wouldn't enjoy being an idol? All the money, the fame?" Seungri had to be absolutely sure. After all, it wasn't like TOP was complaining that much about his life.

Seunghyun smiled indulgently (an expression Seungri was used to). "Yes, I'm absolutely sure. No matter what, I can't imagine myself ever being an idol." Seungri had to stop himself from snorting out loud.

As Seungri continued to ask Seunghyun more questions about his life, he kept drinking. Seunghyun did too, but he clearly had a higher tolerance for alcohol, as he hardly seemed to be affected by it at all. Seungri began to feel like he was getting close to Seunghyun, but that might have been because he looked just like someone that he was very close to.

Seungri's walk through the streets back to the dorm was... interesting. He wasn't even sure what time or day it was. There were parts of it that were fuzzy, and at times his vision had gone blurry, but he somehow made it to the right area of Seoul without anything bad happening.

He tripped in through the front door. He fleetingly hoped that he wasn't disturbing anyone, but before he could be too bothered by it he saw Taemin sat on one of the sofas in the living room. "Taeminnie!" He called. Taemin stood up and whipped around, and smiled widely when he saw who had called his name. "Seunghyun hyung! You're back!"

Walking over to him, Seungri giggled as he lay down on the sofa. Taemin tugged at his leg, but he was adamant that he didn't want to move, and tried to pull his leg out from Taemin's grip. After nearly making Taemin lose his balance, it made him pull on him more, and he had to try to stifle his own giggles. "Come on, you've got to at least sit up! Let me sit next to you, Seunghyun hyung!"

Seungri reluctantly sat up, and let Taemin shuffle in beside him. He continued to fidget though, causing Taemin to playfully push him. "Control yourself, Seunghyun!" Taemin teased. This only caused Seungri to giggle at the use of his real name, which he began to find very funny. "You shouldn't call me Seunghyun, you know..." Seungri tried to be serious, but the giggles interrupting his words ruined the effect.

"What should I call you instead then, hyung?" Taemin grinned, playing along. This caused Seungri to laugh more, because surely the answer was obvious? "You should call me Seungri!" This caused Taemin to laugh harder than he had done, and he flopped down into Seungri's lap as he did.

The sound of the laughter - and maybe all the other noise - seemed to have disturbed people. Kibum came wandering into the room, his yawn ruining the effect his irritation. "What are you two doing up so late? I was trying to sleep," he snapped.

Taemin continued to giggle, so Seungri answered. "I was telling Taemin that you lot shouldn't call me Seunghyun any more, I don't like it." Seungri expected Kibum to be in some way intrigued by this, but the only reaction he received was an eye roll. As Kibum turned to leave and go back to bed, Taemin managed to stop giggling enough to speak. "He wants to be called Seungri instead, hyung," he blurted out.

Kibum seemed to laugh without even thinking about it, and turned back around. "He wants to be Seungri? He's not very subtle, is he?" He asked. Seungri frowned. He was sure that there was some reason that 'Seungri' held a different significance here, but his brain felt all fuzzy and he couldn't remember what it was.

"It's my real stage name, so that's what I should be called," Seungri insisted. Kibum smirked. "Your 'real' stage name?" He questioned. Seungri nodded wildly.

"I'm not from here," Seungri whispered conspiratorially. Taemin continued to giggle, so Seungri kept talking - he wanted these people to know the truth. He cared for them a lot, after all. "I'm friends with G-Dragon really. And - and I'm not reeeeeeeally part of this group. I have my own, y'know? It's got G-Dragon in it, and it's got Daesung in it, and it's got Seunghyun hyung too." Kibum looked amused, and maybe interested too, Seungri thought. "Who's Seunghyun?" He asked.

"He's a rapper! I saw him earlier too, except he's different here," Seungri explained. That made sense, right? It was completely true, at least. Kibum walked over to where Seungri was sitting, and patted his head. "Of course you did, Seunghyun." Seungri pouted. "I just told you not to call me that," he whined. Kibum laughed. "Of course, sorry, Seungri."

Kibum shook his head with a wry smile, and walked out of the room. Taemin finally sat back up, and relaxed against the back of the sofa. Seungri knew that he should probably go to bed, but he found that he couldn't find the energy to stand up.

Instead he also sat back on the sofa and made himself comfortable. Sleeping on a sofa is always a good idea, right? If Taemin could do it, why couldn't he? As he was drifting off, he could feel Taemin sliding across the back of the sofa to lean against his side. Too tired to do anything about it, he let Taemin stay there. It was surprisingly comfortable.