Chapter 8

The weight of a decision

Another chapter! Please comment and let me know what you think :)

Seungri sighed, and looked up at the ceiling. After a weeks worth of non stop promotions with hardly a minute free to breathe, never mind think about anything more complicated than the food they were given, they finally had a rest day. He had thought that he would be looking forward to it – after all, it would mean a lie in and all the laziness he could imagine. But after spending his morning doing absolutely nothing, he found himself to be bored.

He lazily found himself searching 'G-Dragon' on Naver, as he normally would in order to keep up with what was being said about his leader. He caught himself, but then realised that he was curious about the Jiyong of this world. Sure, he'd done a small search before, but not enough to really know much.

The first few results were fairly generic – 'G-Dragon wows fans at Tokyo concert', 'The latest album by G-Dragon has left critics in awe', 'G-Dragon and Youngbae celebrate 9 year anniversary with concert in Seoul'. Seungri smiled. Although he had already known that he was successful, it made Seungri happy to know that his friend was doing well even in this different situation.

As he scrolled back further, however, he found headlines which were not so favourable. 'G-Dragon's second drug test failed - should this man be a role model to the youth of Korea?', 'American singer sues G-Dragon over plagiarism suspicion'. It would seem that the Jiyong of this world had had a rockier career than the one that he knew. Although the pictures of Jiyong that the search engine gave him looked like ones which he might see if he searched for his friend in his own world, there was a distinct lack of the fashion sense for which the G-Dragon he knew was so well known for. Each of the photos that he could see featured Jiyong in fairly generic event clothes, and candid shots from his everyday life showed him wearing normal clothing every time.

Seungri frowned, and scrolled back up to the top of the search page. There were links to some of the music that this world's G-Dragon was credited for, some solo songs, and some gdyb songs. The first one that he chose to listen to was one which he was definitely familiar with - 'This Love', a cover of the marroon 5 song which was on their first album. From what he could tell, the song was exactly the same as the one which he knew, which wasn't surprising given how early it had been released in his career.

As he looked through the other titles, he saw some that he recognised, but many of the songs which were sung by gdyb were unfamiliar to him. As he listened to the songs, he realised that this was because they were truly a hip hop duo, like they had initially wished to be. Although Jiyong did sing in some parts, it was uncommon, and Youngbae did not seem to sing at all. This struck him as odd, as he was used to Youngbae being a phenomenal singer in the group, and he rarely rapped at all any more.

Nevertheless, he found himself dancing slightly to the unfamiliar songs, noticing where he could really hear Jiyong's style in the lyrics. It seemed that this Jiyong may not be so different from the one that he knew after all.

As he bopped, he made another search, this time for Youngbae. The results came back looking fairly similar - lots of praise for his concerts with G-Dragon, rumours of a collaboration between him and Hyunseung. As he scrolled further, however, he found less favourable articles, ones which criticized his style, calling him inferior to Jiyong. This surprised him - after all, Youngbae was so nice, and talented, who would want to slate him so much?

Seungri was even more surprised when found something which had definitely never happened in his world, an article which claimed that Youngbae had been part of Jiyong's second drug scandal in this world, which would be very much out of character for him. Perhaps there were some significant differences after all.

Seungri frowned, realising that in the researching he had done for far, he had seen no mention of Seunghyun hyung. There was no sign of him on the YG family website, under his stage name or real name. A search for 'TOP' simply gave him 'Top 10 cat videos' and 'Top gear', and searching for 'Seunghyun' only gave him results about himself. He sighed, clearly he wasn't going to find anything on the internet about his friend.

He decided to move on to searching for another of his friends, Daesung this time. It still felt odd searching his own stage name and seeing a different face come up on the search. He felt a surge of possessiveness over the name - after all, he even preferred to be called it over his given name.

He began to read an online biography of him - most of the details were familiar to him, as it appeared as if his early life was the same as it had been in his world. The article then went on to talk about his career as part of the duo 'Starshine' with Hyunseung. They seemed to be fairly popular as well; they had debuted a year after gdyb had, due to how young they had been, yet there were surprisingly few articles comparing the two groups. Compared to the antics of gdyb, it seemed as though Daesung and Hyunseung were fairly normal - there were no scandals that the press knew of, at least.

Seungri lazily put on a song of Daesung's as he continued to research. He was flicking through photos of Daesung at a red carpet event from a few years ago when his bedroom door opened. He automatically closed his laptop, not wanting anyone to know about his searching. When the person began sniggering, however, he knew that they had seen his screen.

Seungri frowned as he looked up at the intruder, Taemin, who he had grown quite comfortable in spending time around. "Hyung... you..." Taemin began before succumbing to his giggles. "What?" he asked confusedly. Although he hadn't wanted his search to be seen, it wasn't like he'd been searching for anything actually bad (he'd had enough of Jiyong hyung walking in on that to be better at hiding it than he had been at this).

Finally Taemin managed to control his breathing enough to tell Seungri what he had found so funny. "Hyung... you don't need to hide it from us when you're thinking about Daesung," he giggled, "it's not like you've kept it a secret before. I mean, you were even listening to your favourite song of his, weren't you?" He pointed at the screen, where the automatic playlist had moved onto 'Wings' after he listened to the other song.

Seungri could kick himself. He should have known this, Jonghyun and Taemin had last week about the crush that the Seungri of this world had on Daesung. And now that Taemin had found him looking at 53 pictures of Daesung in a smart suit on a red carpet, it would only fuel the fire for teasing. In an attempt to stop what he was sure would be at least two hours of non-stop teasing, he began to spew out an excuse about looking up the competition, which only had the effect of making Taemin laugh harder.

**

Seungri was reminded of his earlier searches later on in the day, when he was eating dinner. "Guys, um..." he began, trying to formulate the question in a way that wouldn't cause them to all think he was crazy again. "Do you know whether there are many other entertainers out there called Seunghyun?" Jonghyun gave him an odd look, but stayed quiet. Minho hummed thoughtfully, and answered that there probably were.

He tried again, "Do you think there are any rappers called Seunghyun?" Jonghyun gave him more of a look that made Seungri think Jonghyun was suspecting things. Minho replied again, "I can't think of any, Seunghyun." After sharing a glance with Jonghyun, he added, "why do you ask?" Seungri struggled to answer for a second, but could only come up with "I don't know."

Perhaps he should employ different techniques next time.