Chapter 3

The weight of a decision

 

So this isn't quite the chapter I was going to be uploading - a few hours ago my laptop decided to delete my work, leaving me to write it all again. However, this seems to have turned out alright, so enjoy :)

It was a couple of days in when Seungri began to get used to life here. On waking up on the third day, he hadn't wondered where he was, and he was getting used to the constant practices. He thanked his skill as a dancer that he was able to pick up the dance and song so quickly, and although things weren't completely plain sailing, he managed to do well enough to not embarrass himself. One thing that had come from the experience, though, was that he remembered how much he loved to dance. What with the lack of anything from Bigbang in nearly three years, and the fact that they didn't dance much anyway, doing this was like a breath of fresh air, and he resolved to dance more in general.

It seemed like his induction into SM wasn't the only thing which was different about this world. He'd asked Jonghyun if he knew where his iPhone was, since he couldn't find his phone (although he suspected it might be under the piles of clothes on his dorm room floor) as he was still an idol and presumed that he would have still had one. However, the look that Jonghyun had given him, along with a question about what on earth an iPhone was, as Jonghyun took out his Samsung phone. This led Seungri to the conclusion that the iPhone must not exist in this world - odd, since in the real world, a lot of people had them. This had led him to resolve to not ask any more things like that, as he didn't want people to think that there was something genuinely wrong with him.

There had been other instances where he'd spoken in ways he shouldn't have, often including Taemin. On the second morning, Seungri woke up hoping that it had all been a dream. He lay in bed in the warm. That was broken by Taemin coming in and telling him to get up and get breakfast. He was pretty annoyed by this, as he wasn't a morning person, and so wasn't used to this amount of energy so early in the morning. At least when Jiyong hyung used to wake him up, he wasn't a morning person either, so they could be tired and moody together.

He unwillingly got out of bed, and put on the first clothes he found on the floor. On walking out into the kitchen, he found that Taemin was the only other person up yet. Mentally cursing him, as he could have had extra time in bed, he went to get breakfast. He rooted around in the kitchen cupboards looking for something light to eat, but there wasn't any - clearly none of the other members were interested in western food - so he settled for rice and kimchi.

He walked over to the table to join Taemin, who was also eating. Taemin smiled widely at him as he sat down, and he began to eat. "How are you today, hyung?" Taemin asked brightly. Seungri still felt odd being addressed as hyung by someone that he barely knew, but he could hardly do anything about it, as he was trying to make sure that people didn't think he was having a mental breakdown. "I'm okay," he replied awkwardly, not really knowing how to talk to Taemin - he didn't actually know him, after all.

Taemin continued to ramble as if Seungri hadn't acted like he didn't want to talk. "-so then I said to her, "why would I want to put that thing on my head?" but then she put it on me anyway and took a picture, and she said it was for blackmail, but I don't think she actually will... Hyung, are you listening?" Before Seungri could answer, Taemin asked another question. "Is there something wrong, Seunghyun hyung?" Seungri automatically replied, "What? No." Unfortunately, Taemin seemed to interpret his shortness as something else. "This isn't about last year, is it? I mean, after... that thing, you were like this before. Are you sure you're okay?"

Seungri struggled for an answer, as this was clearly something in which he was supposed to know exactly what Taemin was referring to, and so he couldn't ask for any kind of clarification. Fortunately, a moment later Kibum and Minho walked into the kitchen, arguing some point about sports. When Kibum spotted them, he reminded them that they had to leave soon for practice, and Seungri took this as an opportunity to escape the questions. He smiled at Taemin, and went back to his room to change his clothes into something which would be acceptable to wear out.

It was in the evening of the third day of Seungri being there, after a long few days filled with dance practices, and all of the members were sat watching some drama Seungri had never heard of, that he was told something pretty important. "Seunghyun," Jinki said (Seungri had finally learned Onew's real name) "you've been pretty forgetful these past few days, so I'll just remind you that tomorrow we have a performance. Okay?" Seungri began to feel nervous at that. Although he'd been practicing to the best of his ability, he didn't have months of practice like the others did, and it showed. He began to feel slightly nervous about it, as he didn't want to let the fans down.

The next day, when they were leaving, the feeling of nervousness grew, as he definitely hadn't had as much time to practice as he would have liked. As they left the dorm, however, a sense of familiarity grew alongside the nerves, as this was a very familiar procedure. He got into a car with Jonghyun and Kibum, and in the journey he watched as they bickered over something trivial that Kibum had brought up about Jonghyun's dancing. It made him glad to see that other groups were as close as he and s were, although he didn't feel quite like part of this group.

When they stepped out of the cars when they arrived at the venue, the sense of familiarity mixed with general difference heightened, as there were fans crowding around, but they were screaming his real name rather than for Seungri. Nevertheless, he waved to them and smiled, and they seemed pretty happy with that. As he walked through the building to the dressing rooms, the nerves remained, but he began to become more calm. At this point there was little he could do to improve what performance he would give, and he would simply have to deal with whatever happened.

He sat in the chair to have his hair and make up done, and had his eyes closed until he realised that Jonghyun had been trying to get his attention. Upon turning to him, he realised that Jonghyun was holding his phone out with a funny cat video playing. As they watched it and giggled over cats falling off things, Seungri realised that this must be what this kind of interaction was like for the Seungri of this world, and he was glad for his other self that he had friends like this.

Once everyone was done, they were fitted with their mics and went to wait their turn onstage. Seungri occupied his time with bouncing on the balls of his feet, and mentally going over the choreography. Finally it was their turn to go on, and they took their positions onstage. As the music started, Seungri found himself paying very close attention to his dancing in order to make it seem as polished and effortless as the others'. He relaxed a little, and noticed the fans around the edge of the stage, who were packed in and straining their hands and banners towards them. As he normally would, he wandered over to them and began to sing to them. He only did it for a short while, but the fans seemed to love it even more than they normally did.

As the song came to a close, Seungri walked back over to join the rest of the group, who were finishing up the dance. It occurred to him that perhaps he shouldn't have wandered from the group, as the way in which they danced was different from what he was used to - despite the small amount of choreography they had these days, it was always possible for him to go to the fans without messing the dance up for everyone else. It was different here though, and he began to wonder if he might get into trouble.

They soon walked off the stage, and once they had had their mics taken off them, Kibum began to tell him off. "What do you think you were doing out there, Seunghyun?" he asked angrily. "You're our leader you should know better than that, our dancing needs all of us, including you! You should..." Seungri ignored Kibum's speech. It was too late now, it was done - but the fans had loved it, so surely it can't have been all bad? After all, what they did was all for the fans. He walked away, ready to get his things and leave - and preferably pretend like nothing had been done that shouldn't have.

As they prepared to leave, several other idols that had performed left before them. When they started to leave, and the doors to the building were opened, Seungri could hear the fans shouting at the idols, and he prepared to face them again. He walked out smiling, and walked close to the fans, not paying much attention to anything else. He then heard several girls shout simultaneously "Seungri oppa salanghae!". Automatically, he turned his head towards his name, but then his head caught up with him. He went by Seunghyun here, not by Seungri. So who could these fans be shouting for? He tried to follow their line of sight, and saw a familiar man getting into a car - Daesung.

He immediately wanted to run to him, eager for some familiarity in this strange world, and he caught himself just as he was about to call out to him. He reasoned with himself that even if he did run or shout, Daesung would be unlikely to hear him, since he was already in his car. On top of that, he didn't even know whether Daesung would know who he was, which was a horrifying thought given their ten year friendship. He realised that he had no idea what his fellow members of Bigbang were up to in this world, and he knew that he should try to find out soon.

He was quiet on the car ride home, and he ignored Jonghyun's many attempts to make conversation with him. After that performance, and his growing need to find whatever phone he had here, he wasn't in the mood to make idle chit chat.

As soon as they got back to the dorm, he went straight to his room and began to tidy the clothes off his floor - some left there by the Seungri of this world, some left there by him in attempts to find clothes that he actually wanted to wear. After five minutes of searching, he finally found his phone under three pairs of dirty jeans. After putting them in the washing pile, he took a look at his phone. There were twenty three unread messages, but he chose not to answer them, as he didn't want any more people to think that he was slowly going insane.

After a few seconds deliberation, he went on Naver and searched for 'Seungri'. It felt odd seeing Daesung's face next to his stage name, but he persevered and went on a website that looked fan made. There was a bit about his early life, which seemed to be exactly the same as he remembered, but after he joined YG entertainment, things seemed rather different. He said what the site said incredulously - '...Hyunsuk had thought about having Seungri and So-1 as an idol group with labelmates gdyb, but decided against it when the four made it clear that they wanted to go in very different directions with their music, and gdyb went on...'. So Hyunseung had stayed with YG then? Seungri felt odd at the thought - he had liked Hyunseung, but it was strange to think of him still at YG. And gdyb? That was the name that Jiyong hyung and Youngbae hyung were initially doing to debut as a duo under.

After a search for 'G-Dragon' and 'Youngbae', Seungri's suspicions were confirmed. They were a hip hop duo, like they had initially wanted to be, and Daesung and Hyunseung were also a duo. Both groups seemed to be successful, and Seungri was glad for his hyungs - plus he couldn't imagine a world in which Jiyong hyung wasn't successful. He went to bed full of this happiness, and almost alright with being in this world.

It seemed like he woke only moments later. Without opening his eyes, he assumed that Taemin had come to wake him again. He groaned, "I'll be up in a minute, Taemin," he said loudly, hoping he would be heard. A familiar giggle could be heard through his door, and he heard it open. "Who's Taemin, Seungri? It's me," Jiyong said.