Chapter 7

The weight of a decision

Seungri sleepily poked his head out from under his duvet and peered at the clock that was sat on his bedside table. 10:53 it read in its obnoxiously glowing red font. Although he desperately wanted to stay in his cocoon of warmth, he knew that it would be better to get up on his own terms, rather than because one of the others decided that he should.

He shivered as he got out of bed, the cold air hitting him like he was stepping into winter, despite it being the summer months. He was the leader, surely he could do something about getting better heating in the dorm? Fortunately, the cold provided incentive to get dressed quickly in order to warm up. After spending several minutes looking thoroughly through the selection of clothes that his other self had in their wardrobe, he went for a simple look of a black t shirt and jeans. The clothes here weren't quite as star-esqe as his own, and besides, he didn't have a schedule today, meaning that no one but s would see him.

He checked himself extensively in the mirror – even if he wasn't going out today, that didn't mean he had an excuse to not look good – and left his room. Walking down the corridor, he noted how unusually quiet it was. Normally by this time, at least two of the others would be up and in the kitchen. The kitchen area and the living area were both deserted, prompting Seungri to, for the first time, check on s in their rooms.

He tiptoed back down the corridor, realising now that the others were probably still asleep. It made sense that they might be, given that it was their first free day in several weeks (or so he had gathered, from how excited the others had been at the prospect of a free day). He knew that it might be mean of him to wake someone else up, but he was a social person, who liked being in company as much as possible.

The first door that he came to he opened to find Minho and Jinki in. They were in separate beds and fast asleep, and as he watched, Jinki let out a small snore and rolled over. He closed the door quietly, deciding not to wake them. After all, he wasn't particularly close to either of them (at least, he wasn't – this world's Seunghyun seemed to be fairly close to all of them), and he wasn't sure how he would deal with waking them up.

Opening the only other door in the dorm, the first thing that Seungri registered was a pillow being thrown at him. He instantly froze – he'd been in enough pillow fights with his Bigbang members that he could certainly hold his own if pushed.

It seemed, however, that the intention of the thrown pillow was not a pillow fight (which Seungri would totally have been down for) but simply a fight against the possibility of him ruining the sleep of the people in the room. The bed to the right of him was occupied by two people, Jonghyun and Kibum, who seemed to be hugging while they snoozed. There seemed to be no necessary reason for them to be in the same bed – there was an empty bed, seemingly untouched, which Seungri assumed belonged to one of them, but given the amount of times that Jiyong hyung had crawled into his bed at night, he barely thought anything of it.

Seungri assumed that it was one of those two who had thrown the pillow, since the other occupant of the room, Taemin, seemed to be fast asleep. Deciding that neither Jonghyun nor Kibum would appreciate being woken up, given their extreme reaction to being disturbed in the slightest, he walked over to Taemin and started shaking him a little. “Hey,” he whispered, “wake up.” He continued shaking Taemin for a minute, while constantly glancing back at the other bed in the hopes that the others wouldn't wake up.

Finally his work seemed to have paid off – he noticed Taemin's eyelids flutter as he began to wake up. As he opened his eyes and registered who was stood over him, redness crept over his cheeks. Seungri's eyebrows knitted together in confusion – why would Taemin possibly be embarrassed about being woken up? He'd been the one to wake up Seungri plenty of times, and he never seemed bothered about doing that. Choosing to ignore it for now, he put his forefinger up to his lips to signal for Taemin to be quiet, and then beckoned for him to follow Seungri out of the room. Quietly, they both tip toed out of the room, and Seungri made sure to close the door as carefully as possible.

Hyung! Why did you wake me up?” Taemin asks excitedly, bouncing around like an excited puppy. Seungri put his arm around Taemin's shoulders. “Because I was lonely and I wanted company.” Taemin's face lit up more than it perhaps should have done at that, but Seungri wasn't going to complain if it meant that he had company that wasn't going to be annoyed at him – or bully him, for that matter. He guided Taemin into the kitchen, and set about gathering things for making some breakfast. Taemin simply sat at the table and watched him bumble about the kitchen, before finally speaking. “Seunghyun hyung... have you been feeling alright recently?” he asked.

Seungri froze in the middle of bending down in order to grab a bottle from a low shelf. Trying his best to remain seemingly calm, he stood up slowly, and laughed a little. “Of course, I've been fine,” he chuckled, hoping Taemin wouldn't ask anything else that might make him look suspicious. He groaned internally when Taemin's eyebrows raised. His acting then wasn't that bad, surely?

But hyung, you've been acting strangely all week! You never mess up the choreography, you aren't this quiet, and Key hyung said that you've been practicing your Japanese again. I thought you'd given up on that? You've spent a lot of time in your room, you've not started avoiding us again, have you?” Taemin looked concerned, and Seungri wished that he knew more about the life of the version of him from this universe to be able to answer these questions properly.

Seungri sighed, and went to sit beside Taemin. Time to pull out his best acting. He put on his most serious face, and put an arm around Taemin. “I'm fine. I've been feeling slightly... different recently, but there's nothing wrong with me. In fact, I -” he was cut off by someone walking into the room. He turned around to see Jonghyun walking towards the fridge, seemingly pointedly ignoring them. Seungri realised that his arm was still around Taemin, and hurriedly pulled it away and stood up, realising how intimate it may have looked.

Seungri waited for Jonghyun to say something, but the kitchen remained silent. “Good morning Jonghyun.” Seungri said, hoping that his voice sounded normal. He went to retrieve the food items which had been abandoned in favour of convincing Taemin that he was the same Seunghyun that he had always known.

Jonghyun simply replied with a “Good morning Seunghyun, Taemin,” and continued to gather food from the fridge. Not knowing what else to say, Seungri simply took his food to the table and began to eat. He then remembered something which Taemin had mentioned in his list of questions. Without really thinking it through, he asked, “what did you mean about me avoiding you before, Taemin?”

At this, Jonghyun finally turned around and gave Seungri a quizzical look. Taemin also looked confused, and Seungri realised that perhaps he had made a mistake. “What do you mean? You were the one who locked yourself away in your room for days on end,” snorted Jonghyun. “You should know better than anyone – we never did get a proper explanation from you as to why you did that.” Seungri floundered as he tried to pull himself out of the hole he had dug.

Well, I just meant, y'know, I wanted to know which... which time...” Seungri's feeble attempts at making it seem like he knew that he was talking about were interrupted by Jinki walking into the room. Seungri felt an instant rush of relief. He purposely stayed quiet while Jinki greeted them, hoping that this whole thing could be ignored. His hopes were dashed when Jonghyun amusedly explained what he had asked them, and he settled his head on his arms on the table in order to hide his face. Just what he needed, more of the group thinking that there was something wrong with him.

Surprisingly, Jinki came to his rescue, even if it was rather backhanded. “Don't blame him, guys, you know that even at the time he denied that he'd been ignoring us.” He stared at Seungri. “Besides, we have other things to be worrying about. Why have you bothered picking up Japanese again?” Taemin nodded in agreement at Jinki's words. This again? Fortunately, this was a question which he already had thought of an answer for.

Well, I thought that since we have so many promotions in Japan, I should be able to speak better Japanese, since I'm the leader and all.” He still got a slight thrill out of being able to say that he was the leader. He got up, and patted Jinki on the shoulder, certain that that excuse would have worked.

Unfortunately, his infallible excuse didn't seem to have worked, as Jinki and Taemin still looked sceptical. “That's exactly what you said last time, hyung, and you didn't go through with it then,” Taemin pointed out. Seungri internally groaned. It seemed like he wasn't going to be able to win at this, there was just too much that he didn't know. Could he fake amnesia? No, that would be too much work to do convincingly. He would simply have to get more information out of them more subtly.

**

Later that day, he found himself sat on the sofa watching mind numbing television with Taemin and Jonghyun. Taemin seemed to be trying to be around him as much as possible, and Jonghyun spent a creepy amount of time watching him. Seungri didn't mind though, he loved being the centre of attention, no matter the reason.

The television programme was boring him – a generic variety show with one of the newer popular groups whose name he couldn't remember. The girl group dances that they were doing led him down a particular thought though, and he found himself asking the others who their favourite artists were. Jonghyun looked at him slightly oddly, but answered anyway.

Jonghyun then looked mischievous, and Seungri automatically tensed, used to seeing that kind of expression on Jiyong hyung or Seunghyun hyung's faces. “But it's not like we need to ask you who your favourite artist is, Seunghyun.” Seungri was confused by this, but it seemed like Taemin also knew what Jonghyun was talking about, as he was grinning widely. Seungri's face must have registered enough confusion for Jonghyun to realise that he didn't know what Jonghyun was talking about, and so he clarified further. “You know, your celebrity crush on a certain someone? Seungri?” Seungri automatically answered “Yes?” to his name before he realised that Jonghyun hadn't been talking about him – he meant Daesung.

Luckily, Jonghyun didn't pick up on his mistake. “So you do know what we're talking about then?” Taemin asked playfully. Seungri elected to simply nod slowly and pretend like he did. He couldn't give much more of a reaction, since he was mentally trying to process the idea of him having a crush on Daesung. He was good looking, sure, but to like him in that way? That would just be odd. Taemin patted his shoulder. “There's no reason to be shy about it now hyung – it's not like you didn't make it obvious that time you tripped while trying to be suave around him.”

Seungri put his head in his hands, feeling embarrassment over something which he didn't even do. He took it all back – s in this world were just as bad for embarrassing him as Bigbang were.