Chapter 18

The weight of a decision

Sorry for taking so long to update! I had assignments, and then exams, and I wrote a Namjin oneshot, and it all took up too much time. But I'm back now, and I'm going to try to update more frequently :)

 

Taemin held the shirt up to his body, nearly dropping everything he was holding in the process. "What about this one?" He asked. Seungri appraised it.

"Hmmm... it's a bit plain, isn't it?" He turned around and searched in the rack behind him. "What about this?" He held another one up to Taemin's body, one with more bling to it.

Taemin cocked his head to the side in confusion. "Why would you want something that shiny, hyung? I remember you telling me a few months ago that you didn't like those sorts of things, they looked too tacky?"

"Ah..." was all Seungri could manage. If the Seungri of this world had already said something, he really couldn't contradict it, it would only give him away. "I guess I thought this one looked alright, on second thoughts it's not that nice, you're right." He laughed awkwardly and turned back to the rack, pretending to flick through more clothing.

Taemin didn't seem to have noticed Seungri's mistake, and was standing by him, just watching as he pushed items of clothing past him that, had he the choice, he would have liked to try on. Pausing on a white t-shirt which seemed, acceptable, he held it out for Taemin to take, adding to all the other items of clothing that they had chosen earlier.

Spotting Minho over by the jacket section, Seungri wandered over, Taemin trailing after him like a duckling with its mother. Minho turned around and smiled as he heard them walking up behind him. He looked amused, and Seungri couldn't figure out why.

Ignoring the small sniggers Minho kept letting out, Seungri began to look at the selection of leather jackets that they had, which was lacklustre as best. Seungri was sure that Minho and Taemin were whispering about something together, but every time he turned around, they stopped talking. From the looks of it it was something that made Taemin embarrassed, as his cheeks seemed flushed each time, and he seemed unwilling to make eye contact.

Deciding to let them have their secret, he turned back to the rack of clothes. He was sure that Taemin would have helped pick something out himself, only his arms were full. Arguably, too full. Maybe they should actually try some of them on.

He turned back around to Minho and Taemin, and rolled his eyes when they once again stopped talking. "Want to try those on?" He asked playfully. Taemin nodded enthusiastically. Seungri began to look around the shop, unsure where the changing rooms were.

Rolling his eyes, Minho grabbed Taemin's hand, and began to drag him across the shop floor, and Seungri began to trail behind, assuming that Minho knew where he was going. The shop was even bigger than Seungri had realised, and he was tempted to stop and look at some of the things that he had missed.

As they approached the changing rooms, they saw two very familiar faces standing there, looking to be in a similar position to Seungri and Taemin. Seungri shooed Taemin into the changing rooms immediately, eager to see whether the things they he chose fitted, before turning to the other two, to which Minho was already talking.

Jonghyun was holding four large shopping bags, looking strained as Kibum chatted cheerfully to Minho. "Was all that really necessary?" Seungri heard Minho ask, gesturing at all that Jonghyun was carrying.

"It was!" Exclaimed Kibum. He began to describe all the details of each item of clothing that he'd bought, and while Seungri liked clothes, he didn't like them that much.

Seungri was distracted by Taemin coming out of the changing rooms in some of the things that they had picked. This began a cycle of Taemin trying on clothes, and parading them for Seungri to see. Occasionally Kibum would chime in with his thoughts, but for the most part the other three just whispered among themselves.

All the whispering made Seungri suspect that there was some sort of secret that he was missing out on, but for now he had a job to do. Unsurprisingly, most of the clothes that he had chosen looked good, and it was a shame that they couldn't buy all of them.

Once Taemin had tried everything on, which took a good forty five minutes, they began to narrow down what was the best, and after a while, they picked about half of what had been tried on.

On the way to the checkout, Kibum fell into step beside Seungri. "So..." he began, "I've never seen you so excited about clothes shopping before," he teased. Seungri shrugged - there was no way he could explain to Kibum that yes, the reason for the sudden interest was that he was a completely different person now. "It was nice for you to do that for Taemin though. You know how he... looks up to you," Kibum continued, adding a wink at the end.

Seungri was baffled by this - it was clear that there was some other underlying message here, but he wasn't in on the joke. He mulled over it while Taemin paid for his clothes, but decided to forget about it once the group reconvened.

"Well we'll be off now, I think," Kibum announced.

Seungri looked at Taemin - or, more specifically, at all the bags he was holding. "But I don't want to go just yet," Seungri moaned.

"I'll stay with you, hyung!" Taemin was enthusiastic, as always.

"That's fine, but surely you don't want to lug all those bags around with you? Maybe the others would take it home them?" Seungri suggested. Taemin nodded, and began doing aegyo to try to convince Kibum, who looked mildly irritated at the idea of having to carry bags out to whichever car they were being taken home in.

After a full minute of Taemin practically pressing himself up against Kibum whilst being as cute as possible while the others laughed, they finally relented. Taemin began handing over his own shopping bags, and Seungri wasn't needed.

Leaving the others behind, Seungri decided to see if he had missed anything vital during his earlier look around the shop. He flicked through a few racks, but it really didn't seem as though there was any more to see.

He froze as he heard a familiar voice coming from the other side of the shop. Peering between the racks, he tried to see if it was who he thought it was. Jiyong stood there, directing someone else around the store to get various items of clothing for him. He tapped his foot and was looking at his watch, looking impatient. He looked almost nothing like the Jiyong that Seungri knew so well.

Hesitating slightly, Seungri was unsure of what to do. Would Jiyong remember him? Would talking to him be a good idea at all?

In the time that Seungri had spent deliberating, he hadn't noticed Jiyong walk a few aisles closer, browsing through the racks. Trying to predict what Jiyong would be looking at, using his knowledge of Jiyong's taste and style, Seungri slipped through the racks, trying to keep crouched to prevent Jiyong from spotting him.

Leaning round the corner to try to spot him, Seungri nearly jumped out of his skin as a voice came from behind him, "what are we hiding from?" Whipping around, he saw Taemin crouched next to him, grinning.

Seungri held a finger to his lips and shook his head. They couldn't risk talking, Jiyong might hear them. Peering around the corner again, Seungri could see no sign of Jiyong anywhere - he might be safe now.

Feeling Taemin pat his shoulder, Seungri turned around. Rather than saying anything - he seemed to have got the memo - he pointed in the opposite direction. Where Jiyong was. And he was staring at them. Giving them odd looks. Ruining the point of hiding.

Seungri decided to do what he normally did when Jiyong gave him that look. He grinned, as if nothing was out of the ordinary. He stood up, and held out a hand to Taemin to help heave him up. Once they were both upright, Seungri realised that Jiyong had wandered off again - and he didn't know whether this was a good or a bad thing.

"Really hyung, what were we hiding from?" Taemin asked with a grin, "it was fun."

Seungri sighed. "The person we were hiding from just spotted us, Taemin. We were hiding from Ji - G-Dragon."

"Oh... but why, hyung? He's not that scary," Taemin snorted.

"Yeah, but..." Seungri lowered his voice, "have you forgotten what happened the last time I tried to speak to him? He was so mad at me! He might still be mad at me!"

"Mad at you for what?" Came a voice from behind him. Seungri jumped - why did that keep happening to him today? Seungri turned around.

This time it was Jiyong who had snuck up on him, standing behind him with his arms folded. Seungri bowed his head slightly. "Ah, well, the last time we met, if you remember, I... forgot to address you correctly. I wanted to apologise for that, Jiyong Sunbaenim."

Jiyong cocked his head to the side, looking thoughtful. "I suppose it's alright. I tend to get angry when I'm stressed, it's a problem of mine. You can call me hyung." Feeling much better, Seungri lifted his head up and smiled.

"Really? Can I?" Seungri wasn't sure why he was so excited - it wasn't like he hadn't been calling Jiyong hyung for years, but all the same, it felt like an accomplishment.

Jiyong shrugged. "Sure, why not?"

"Thank you!" was Seungri's enthusiastic reply.

An elbow jabbing his ribs reminded him that Taemin was stood beside him still. Looking smug, Taemin said, "see? I told you that Jiyong Sunbae wasn't that scary. I knew it would all be fine, hyung."

Seungri settled for patting Taemin's head. Turning back to Jiyong, Seungri saw that he was watching their interaction with a small smile on his face.

"So, Jiyong hyung... what are you doing here?" Seungri asked.

Jiyong laughed. "The same as you, I hope - clothes shopping." Seungri blushed slightly - of course he was, what else could he have been doing. He could hear Taemin laughing quietly beside him, but he was determined to make this a good conversation.

"Seen anything you like, then?"

Jiyong's response was to shrug. "I dunno, I mostly just let my stylists pick stuff while we're here. I'm mostly just here to try what they choose on." Seungri was again struck by the differences between this man and his Jiyong. The Jiyong that he knew was a tend setter, and very involved in the world of fashion.

"But it's so fun to shop for clothes!" Seungri argued, "I picked out so many clothes for Taemin earlier!"

Jiyong laughed, seeming at ease. "Maybe for you, but fashion just isn't my thing I'm afraid."

Seungri laughed; this was getting easier and easier. "Yes, but Jiyong oppa -" He cut himself off as he realised what he had said.

Jiyong's face fell immediately. "What did you call me?" He asked quietly.

Seungri's face felt hot and red. What could he do now? He'd done it again, only worse this time. This was what he got for allowing that to become a habit in the first place.

"I can't believe you," Jiyong said, shaking his head. Seungri watched as Jiyong walked away. He continued to feel embarrassed even though it was only a small mistake. Why was it Jiyong that he kept messing up around the most?

**

From his position curled up on his bed, Seungri could only hear the small creak of his door opening.

"Seunghyun? Are you okay?" Came Jonghyun's voice. "Taemin told us what happened. Is there anything we can do to make you feel better?" He spoke quietly, but in the silence of his room it seemed too loud.

The only response Seungri could give was an annoyed sounding grunt. He didn't want to take his emotions out on his friends, but he just couldn't help it - it had been so embarrassing!

"Seunghyun?"

Seungri sighed, and uncurled to face Jonghyun. His back cracked as he did so, showing how long he had spend in that one position, regretting his entire life.

"It was just... He's so cool, and so well respected, I just wanted to make a good impression on him..." Seungri tried to keep talking, but more tears were trailing down his face.

Jonghyun walked further into the room, and tentatively sat down next to him. "I see... but Seunghyun, you've been crying for the past three hours. You've never shown a particular interest in G-Dragon before... if this was Seungri we were talking about, I'd understand, but this has never been a big deal for you before. Are you sure that's the whole of it?"

"I... I can't..." And with that, he curled up as he began to cry again. Ever since he and Jiyong had become friends initially, he had never had Jiyong be so angry at him so impartially. Seungri was a stranger and unwelcome to one of his closest friends, and he didn't like it one bit.