Chapter 19

The weight of a decision

Remember when I said I would try to update more often? I meant it :)
But save your thanks, you might hate me for this chapter ;)


Seungri shifted his weight. Lying on the sofa for this amount of time wasn't particularly comfortable, but he didn't have the energy to do much else. It was a day off, which normally would have been a good thing, but not so much today.

Having practice meant that he didn't have time to think about anything other than what he was doing, and making sure that he didn't slip up. It had been several days, but the embarrassment still plagued his mind. Having free time only allowed Seungri's mind to wander to things that he really didn't want to be thinking about, and he hated it.

He always forgot about the very real differences between this world and his own. The people he saw here looked in every way identical to the people he knew, making it so easy to think that they were truly the same person.

He sighed, and rolled over. On the other sofa, he saw Taemin watching his dilemma. He also looked sad, and Seungri wondered what for. Closing his eyes, he considered trying to nap. At least if he was asleep, he wouldn't be worrying over Jiyong.

Seungri was running late to practice. He threw open the door to the building, and set off to get to the practice room. He stood in front of the lifts, and pressed the 'up' button. Nothing happened. He pressed it again, but still, the lifts weren't arriving.

Looking to his left, he saw a set of stairs that he could have sworn weren't there before. Since the lifts clearly weren't in operation, he decided to simply get to the practice room with a little more effort, and take the stairs. He began to climb them, and soon felt out of breath. He didn't think the building was this tall, but the stairs seemed never ending.

After climbing the stairs for what seemed like forever, he came to a door. Going through it, he realised that it led directly into the practice room. The other members were already in it, and they all turned to look at him as he walked towards them with a big smile on his face.

"Hi guys!" He said cheerfully. No one replied, and his smile began to fade. "Guys?" It was then that he properly looked at them. Jiyong, Seunghyun and Youngbae all looked disgusted, and Daesung looked disappointed as he turned and walked away from the rest of the group.

"What are you doing here?" Jiyong asked scornfully. Seungri gaped at him.

"Yeah, we don't even know you," Seunghyun pointed out, and as Seungri watched, he turned into the Seunghyun from the other world, and walked away to join Daesung, who was sat on the other side of the room.

"We don't want you here. You can't even speak right, what's wrong with you?" Youngbae asked. Seungri tried to speak, to ask them what they were talking about, but no matter how hard he tried, no sound would come out of his mouth. Jiyong just stood in front of him, smirking with his arms folded,watching him clutch at his throat.

In a sudden movement, Jiyong stepped forward and pushed him. Rather than falling onto the floor, Seungri felt himself falling down the stairs that he had spent so long climbing up. As his body hit each step, he felt his breath being knocked out of him, making it impossible to breathe. Would this ever end, or would he -

Seungri woke up, gasping down gulps of air. It was all okay. He wasn't going to suffocate from falling down the stairs, nor was he hated by s. He jumped as he felt a hand running through his hair. The movement itself was soothing, but since the last touch that he had 'felt' had pushed him down a staircase, he couldn't help but be wary.

Looking up, he saw that it was Taemin sat next to his head. Taemin smiled at him. "You looked uncomfortable while you slept, so I thought I'd try to help." Seungri nodded, but sat up anyway.

He arranged himself in a more comfortable sitting position, and tried to keep as still as possible. The nightmare had made him panic, and his heart was still beating hard from it. Taemin stayed quiet while he did, seemingly content to sit in silence.

After ten minutes or so, Seungri's heart had calmed down, and he relaxed a little. Taemin seemed to notice this, as he spoke up quietly. "What did you dream about?"

"It was about Jiyong hyung and the others..." slipped out before Seungri could realise what he was saying. Taemin frowned.

"Who are 'the others', Seunghyun hyung?" Taemin asked. Seungri stiffened again. How could he have let that slip out?

"Uh... You know, the rest of us," Seungri came up with, laughing to cover up his nervousness.

Taemin nodded, but appeared to still be thinking. "What was Jiyong doing in your dream though?" He asked.

Well at, least that wasn't a question that would be too incriminating to answer. "Well, he... he was pretty mad at me, and... then he pushed me down the stairs." Perhaps he shouldn't include the details that would make him seem insane.

Taemin laughed a little, but still seemed distant. "That sounds unfortunate hyung, but..." Taemin paused, a pained expression passing over his face.

"Yes?"

"Seunghyun hyung, I just don't understand why you care so much about this guy's opinion!" Taemin blurted out.

Seungri sighed. "I told you already, I just look up to him so much and I - "

"But that's not it!" Taemin interrupted, beginning to look more distressed. Seungri was taken aback, and Taemin moved himself a bit further away, in order to face Seungri properly.

Taemin continued. "I've known you for ten years now, and not once have I heard you especially talk about G-Dragon being a role model of any kind for you. You've hardly talked about him at all in fact, all we ever hear about is Starshine. So what's with your sudden fascination with him? I can't figure it out."

"Taemin, I -"

"I mean, I put up with your fascination with Seungri for a long time, but only because I never thought it would be an issue and it was just funny. I'd expect this kind of behaviour from you over Seungri, but anyone else I -" This time Taemin cut himself off. A look of horror grew on his face, but Seungri couldn't think why he would be horrified.

"You don't..." Taemin began. He cleared his throat. "You don't... like G-Dragon, do you?"

Seungri was still confused. "What? Of course I like him, why else would I be so upset over his reaction to -"

"No, no," Taemin cut Seungri off again. "Do you like him?"

Seungri's eyes widened as he realised what he was being asked. "Oh - what? No, of course I don't... that would be just... weird... " Taemin looked slightly mollified, but Seungri had the feeling that that wasn't all that was worrying Taemin. "Why would you even think that I liked him in that way?"

"I don't know, I just... You seemed to eager to get his approval, and I thought maybe it... went a bit deeper, and then you seemed to get along with him so well the other day. And..." Taemin hesitated again. "In the past few months you've acted weird sometimes, and I wondered if that was the reason why.... But if that's not it, then what is?"

"I - I can't..." Seungri couldn't think of anything other than excuses that he already had to explain his behaviour. Apart from... "What do you mean?" Complete denial.

The look that Taemin gave him showed that he knew exactly what Seungri was doing, but he humoured him all the same. "You've forgotten our dances, you've acted weirdly onstage, you've developed a weird obsession for G-Dragon, and all that's strange enough without mentioning the time you came home drunk telling us that you weren't from here. Seriously, what's up with you?"

"Taemin, I really don't... I swear I'm not... you might think I..... I shouldn't..." The half formed sentences falling from Seungri's mouth were the result of an inability to decide what to do. He could stick to his guns and his story, or he could try telling the truth again, although possibly with the same results as the other times he'd tried.

The hope that had formed on Taemin's face began to fade. "Seunghyun... You've never hidden anything from me before, why start now?"

Seungri couldn't reply, he was too stunned by the amount of true hurt on Taemin's face.

"Don't you remember the promise we made on the beach that day?" Taemin continued, staring back at Seungri just as intently. Seungri could only nod, and hope that Taemin wouldn't - "what was it then?" Taemin asked, looking suspicious of him.

Seungri couldn't blame Taemin for being suspicious, but that didn't help him with answering the question, which he really couldn't even begin to know the answer to.

He reached a hand out to Taemin, hoping it would distract him from Seungri trying to think of a reasonable answer. "I mean... I don't remember the exact wording... I can't quite... it's not -" Seungri cut himself off this time.

A single tear made its way down Taemin's face. "You don't remember, do you?" He whispered.

"Taemin, don't... don't cry... I'm sorry, I..." Seungri made to put his hand on Taemin's knee, but thought better of it at the last second.

Taemin's tears began to flow more freely. "No, I'm sorry... It's just that..." He began to sob, and Seungri had no idea what to do. He noticed Jonghyun begin to walk into the room, but stop in the doorway when he saw the state Taemin was in. Taemin didn't seem to have heard Jonghyun arriving due to his head being buried in his hands, and continued to cry.

"It's just that you must know how I feel about you!" Taemin choked out. "I thought you did, and you felt - " He lifted his head, and seeing Seungri's overwhelmed expression, began to cry harder. With quick but jerky movements, Taemin got up and ran from the room, passing Jonghyun without acknowledging him. The fact that Taemin had left meant that there was nothing stopping Jonghyun from coming into the room, and he did with a face like thunder.

He marched up to where Seungri was sitting, slightly dazed and confused, and pulled him up to standing by pulling on his jumper near the throat. "What did you do?" He growled. "What did you do to him?"

"I... I'm not sure," was all Seungri could come up with. Apparently it was the wrong answer, because it caused Jonghyun to shake him slightly.

"You made him cry, you must have done something," Jonghyun accused, less forcefully this time. "I never thought I'd see you do... that, ever." He looked intently at Seungri's face. Seungri wasn't sure what he was searching for, but whatever it was he seemed to find it, as he slowly unclenched his fingers from around Seungri's jumper.

Jonghyun pointed his finger at Seungri's chest. "I don't understand why you would do that to him, but if you do it again.... just watch yourself, alright," he finished with a pointed glare. There was clearly some kind of subtext that Seungri was expected to know, but it just made him even more confused.

How had he managed to alienate so many of the people that he was supposed to be close to? Jiyong wanted nothing to do with him, and he'd managed to to upset Taemin and Jonghyun in one. The fact that Taemin was upset would probably set the other members off on him as well. Seungri sat back down, and rested his head in his hands. Could he get anything right?