Chapter 23

The weight of a decision

The chapter you've all been waiting for! Or some of you, at least.

Once again Seungri was waking up with a headache - he was beginning to feel sick of it. His mouth was dryer than the sahara, and from the feeling of what he was wearing he'd fallen asleep in whatever he'd been wearing the night before. It itched, and was lumpy, and despite wanting nothing more than to go back to sleep, Seungri decided to change into something more comfortable before trying to sleep more.

With bleary eyes, he slowly rolled out of bed, moving on autopilot as he reached into his chest of drawers for some actual pyjamas. He began to peel off what he was wearing, taking note of the fact that his phone was in his pocket and he'd been lying on it.

He was still half asleep, so when the door banged open, it made him jump, and he nearly dropped the pyjama bottoms he'd been holding.

Jonghyun was stood there, not seeming fazed by the fact that Seungri was pretty much . "W-what?" Seungri stuttered. Looking around him, he realised that he hadn't noticed where he was. Now that he'd woken up a bit more, the situation dawned on him fully, and he clutched the material of his pyjamas closer to his crotch.

"Come on, it's nearly time to Seunghyun," Jonghyun said coldly, "did you not set your alarm?" Seungri chose not to say anything, and simply shook his head. Jonghyun scoffed. "Some leader," Seungri heard him mutter under his breath. He might have said something about that, but he was still trying to process what was going on.

Jonghyun left, and Seungri breathed a small sigh of relief, and relaxed. He stared sadly at the pyjama bottoms in the knowledge that he wasn't going to be able to put them on. He put them back in the drawer, and turned to think about what he was going to wear. It had been a week since he'd been here, and he had no idea what it was that they were meant to be doing today. He made a face at his wardrobe, and flicked through some of the clothes. Deciding to play it safe, he just picked out some jeans and a top - that would do for a smart-casual look, right?

Once he got dressed he took a look at the pile of clothes on the floor that he'd been wearing last night. He wondered what to do with them - after all, they weren't ones he owned here, would people realise that? He picked them up, and decided to just hide them at the back of his wardrobe. No one would think to look there, right?

He began to fold them - even if they were going to be hidden away, he may as well keep them nice. He rifled through the pockets, picking out old receipts and bits of tissue that he wasn't even sure he'd put in there. His hand then hit something bigger, and as he pulled it out he realised what it was.

His phone.

A connection to the other world, a sign that he wasn't going mad.

He tentatively pushed a button, and watched as the screen came to life. He bit his lip as he saw that it was on 80% battery. How long would it last? Surprisingly it was connected to his mobile network, but he put it on airplane mode anyway, just to be safe.

At the sound of footsteps out in the corridor, he hurriedly put it in with the clothes he'd been putting away, figuring it would be safe enough there. It was a good thing too, because just as he closed his wardrobe door Kibum walked in.

Kibum was only in the room long enough to motion with his head that Seungri should follow him, before he walked back out again. Seungri sighed, and picked up his phone - his phone in this world, that is - and followed him out, still wondering where it was he'd be going.

The others were all already in the living room, stood up and clearly waiting for him. They were chatting quietly among themselves, but Seungri had a feeling that it wasn't for the same reason they'd been doing it before.

Taemin was stood nearest to the door, with Jinki next to him with his arm around his shoulder. Taemin seemed relaxed, but perhaps it was only from what Jinki was murmuring to him. Onew looked up at Seungri as he walked in - in fact, so did everyone else, making it all the more obvious when Taemin didn't.

Seeing how upset Taemin clearly still was - after all, it was only the day after for him - Seungri made to move towards Taemin, to say something, anything. He stopped in his tracks when he looked to the side and saw Minho glaring at him. Clearly no-one else thought that was a good idea.

Their manager stepped into the room, and began to brief them and get them on their way. From what he heard stood off to the side, Seungri gathered that they were going to do a radio interview. That would mean that the others would have to be nice to him, right?

Perhaps not. As they got into the van, Seungri ended up on the end of the row, with Jonghyun next to him. The hopes that Seungri had of being able to talk to Jonghyun were crushed by him immediately taking out headphones and ignoring him. Seungri settled in for the ride, knowing that he would just have to try to talk to the others later. The fact that he wasn't being talked to was made slightly better by the fact that no-one else seemed to be talking either; the whole car was shrouded in quiet and awkwardness.

Things remained the same way throughout make-up and the setting up of the radio studio to accommodate the six of them. Seungri began to worry about how this interview would go, if they couldn't even talk at this time.

His fears were unfounded, as it turned out, because as soon as they were on air the fact that they were all professionals really came to the fore. As soon as the interview began, it was almost confusing for Seungri, as each member acted as though there was nothing affecting them.

He ended up spending less time listening to what was being said in the interview than simply thinking. What was he going to do? How could he get the others to like him again? More importantly, how could he get time alone with Taemin to apologise? How would he even apologise? He didn't have an answer to any of these questions. At one point when he was asked a question by the host, he nearly began to talk about these problems instead of answering the question.

As soon as the interview ended, things went back to the way they were before. For a second Seungri hoped that he could catch Taemin as they walked back to the car, but as he made to step towards him he his arm was caught and he was pulled back by Kibum. Minho then spent the next hour or so glaring daggers into his back, and Seungri didn't dare try it again.

Besides, Taemin didn't look at him once in the whole time they were out of the dorm. Instead he spent all his time practically glued to Jinki's side, and Seungri knew he wasn't going to get a chance to speak to him soon.

Seungri resigned himself to the fact that things might be like this for a while. There was nothing else he could have done, nothing he could have done differently at the time, but it didn't stop it from having been bad. Not that he could tell anyone that, though.

Seungri was relieved when they got back to the dorm - he was hopeful that he could get some respite from being hated. That hope was dashed when he saw Jonghyun making his way towards him with a determined look on his face. He took Seungri's arm and pulled him into his own bedroom. He was pushed lightly into the room, and Jonghyun took care to make sure the door was shut firmly behind them.

Seungri wasn't even sure what Jonghyun was going to say - really he'd said it all before, when the incident had happened. He looked angry, but he didn't say anything, and Seungri began to feel more worried.

"Why do you keep doing this?" Jonghyun finally said.

Seungri frowned. "Doing what?" He asked.

"You're torturing Taemin! How can you not see that?" Jonghyun became more annoyed, and looked as though he was trying his best to not shout too loudly.

"I'm not trying to!" Seungri burst out.

Jonghyun didn't look convinced. "But that doesn't change the fact that you are, Seunghyun. I thought - I thought that things would be different, that you'd be... you know, nicer to someone that..." He trailed off, looking expectantly at Seungri.

"I don't know what you mean," was the only thing Seungri could say. Clearly there was something that Jonghyun thought that he knew, that Taemin had alluded to during his confession, but Seungri couldn't even pretend any more that he knew what that was.

Jonghyun began to shake his head. "No. That can't be true. I know you, Seunghyun, I know you wouldn't, and I know that you -"

"But you don't!" Seungri shouted.

Jonghyun looked taken aback. "What? Of course I know you Seunghyun, I've known you for nearly ten years. Don't start with this again, you know this is part of the problem."

Seungri sighed. Wordlessly, he stepped over to his wardrobe, and reached in to pick up the clothes he'd stashed there that morning. He was tired of pretending all the time to be Seunghyun. Now he had proof that that wasn't him.

Jonghyun looked confused. "What are you doing?" He asked. Seungri still didn't reply - instead he stuck his hand in between the folded up clothes, and took out his iPhone. He handed it to Jonghyun.

Jonghyun turned the phone over in his hands a few times, taking it in. "What... I've not seen this make of phone before. What?" Seungri nodded.

"Try pressing some buttons," he prompted. Jonghyun gave him an exasperated look, but did it anyway. The screen , displaying Seungri's lock screen photo - a picture of himself and Jiyong with their arms around each others shoulders. It was a picture that Seungri was very fond of, and it was now causing Jonghyun a great deal of confusion.

"Was this Photoshopped?" Was the first question Jonghyun asked. Seungri rolled his eyes in response. He began to look at the picture more closely, bringing the phone closer to his face. "I don't remember your hair ever looking like this," he murmured to himself.

"No, you wouldn't," Seungri remarked. Jonghyun's head snapped up.

"And why not?" he queried. Smirking, Seungri took the phone from him, and entered his passcode. The phone unlocked, and showed his wallpaper. Handing it back to Jonghyun, Seungri held in his giggles at the knowledge that all he was doing was making Jonghyun more confused.

The picture was of all five members of Bigbang. It was a goofy one that had been taken a few months ago, and Seungri was rather proud of the face he'd been making in it.

"Seunghyun, I really don't understand what you mean by all this. What's going on? What does this have to do with Taemin?" Jonghyun didn't seem to have made the connection yet.

Seungri decided to take pity on him. "Jonghyun, do you remember a month ago when I went all weird? And when I claimed to not be from here?"

Jonghyun's eyes narrowed. "Yeah, why?"

Seungri spread his hands out. "I wasn't lying about any of that. Everything I said was completely true. Look for yourself. That's a real photo of me."

Jonghyun sighed. "Not this again, Seunghyun. For the last time, I - "

"NO!" Seungri startled Jonghyun with the force of his outburst. "Listen to me. For once, just listen to me. I'm not crazy. I'm not making things up. In your hands you are holding proof of what I'm saying." Jonghyun looked down at the picture on Seungri's phone again.

"I'll admit that... I don't know this phone model. And the pictures do look pretty real. But assuming that what you're saying is true - and I'm not saying it is - then what happened? Why are you here?" Jonghyun still didn't seem convinced. Seungri had been sure that the pictures would help.

Seungri shrugged. "I don't know why I'm here. All I know is that I woke up here one day, and it was different to what I knew. I come from a different universe. Nothing crazily different, but I wasn't lying those weeks ago when I said I wasn't in SHINee."

"So... if that's true - and I'm not totally convinced - I'll admit that it explains why you couldn't give Taemin a straight answer yesterday," Jonghyun said slowly. Seungri nodded violently. Was Jonghyun starting to believe him? Hopefully.

"I swear it's all true. I didn't know anything of what Taemin was telling me, but that didn't mean that I didn't want to hurt him. I might not be the Seunghyun you know, but I've grown to like you all."

Jonghyun nodded slowly. "This does explain a lot," he conceded, "you really have been acting like someone else these past few weeks. It's pretty unbelievable, but... some of your actions have been pretty unbelievable too." He chuckled. "I should have known that the only way you'd be able to talk to Seungri was if you didn't have a crush on him."

Seungri laughed too. "Does this mean you believe me?" He asked hopefully.

Jonghyun looked thoughtful, and handed him back his phone. "I think so," he said, "I'm still not 100% convinced, but it makes more sense than it should. I certainly don't blame you for yesterday any more."

Seungri smiled. Things were looking up.